Saturn Sky Forum banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts
That review convinced me that Edmunds is not a source I ever need to go to for information.
You and I might not want to use them, but ah, my jeep dealer (and many other dealers) uses them as one of their sources to find out how much "a used car is worth"--:eek:

Long-Term Test: Automobile Critics Opinions

So that's that.

After dozens of magazines and countless articles, the sun has finally set on our time with our long-term automobile "experts." If you've read anything they've written about the Pontiac Solstice or Saturn SKY in the last year, you won't be surprised that we're not terribly broken up about the parting of ways with these little hacks. While they provided us with lots of wonderful photographs, their clueless ramblings wore us down over the long haul with high levels of incomopetence, a jarring style and a obsession with Miatas that provided more opinionated bloviating than useful information.

Bottom line: The auto critics fill up the pages with words, but with a few too many rough edges.

Summing Up
When it came time to put the magazines away, it became apparent that demand for clueless, abrasive text combined with beautiful roadster photography isn't really all that high. The lucky ones go to the garage and look at their cars and just "know" what truth is.

So that's that. We won't have a lot of fond memories of the writers, but will probably break out the photo spreads once in a while when the sun isn't around and indulge ourselves by wondering what might have been. And what could be with a few more years of higher education and a smattering of common sense.

The Bottom Line: If you want to read quality articles and useful reviews, Playboy Magazine may be for you.
But, if it wasn't for the 'experts' and those long term test articles, how would I ever know that the top on the SKY is so cumbersome? How would I know that there is little trunk space (top up OR down)? How would I know that I need more power? How would I know that the cup holders don't? I mean, jeeze - I need someone to think for me, please! :willy:

AND, how would I know that since I picked the car up at the end of May that my joy and happiness driving the SKY, throwing the top down on a sunny day, running away for four days putting our stuff in the trunk was just a halucination? Man I must really need help because until this latest article I didn't know how unhappy I was with the SKY - - - YEAH, RIGHT!

As for getting information from Playboy - I just can't seem to get to anything much past the middle. That page keeps flopping out and I lose my train of thought. Oh, well maybe an 'expert' can tell me how much that stinks too.

:D

I am thinking the 4 cylinder engine from Honda would be much quieter and smoother then GMs. I have quietly started to make plans to buy a BMW Z4. I know the price is more, but I am thinking in the long run I will have the true classic.
Sorry to say I wanted to give my money to GM (SATURN) but as time goes by I find myself glad I was unable to buy the car quickly. IT gave me more time to listen to others and how the car worked in real life driving conditions.
I of course respect your opinion, their is nothing wrong with either engine the Sky has. Both are enough for what they are.

There is nothing wrong with the Bmer Z4 either. In fact when my wife was interested in a 2-seater, that was the one I recommended first, I still like it. Today just for S&G's I went and ah build it as I would want it today, price? $49,443.00. The price IS MUCH MORE vs lets say the Sky, or the R/L for that matter. But I have to admit the options availiable are impressive to say the least, the included maintenance package where they fix/repair/replace anything during the warranty period is also cool. Remember you get what you pay for. That Z4 is a luxury roadster, not everyone or average persons could afford one. Even tho I could, for some reason my wife didn't like the "way it looked" & did not want to spend that kind of money for a "to go to work" car--:willy: Thats her, if it were me, I would have that Z4 parked out front-I like luxury :D Just doing a side by side comparison like this article did http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0610_sport_convertible_coupe_comparison & that was a 2006 version is impressive, even tho the kappa was over all car preferred, the Z4 beats it on the track. It is when you try to build one is when the tuff decisions need to be made. Good luck on your final decision, I'm sure you will be happy with the Z4, just as you would be with the Sky IMO. PS-I and my wife do not regret buying our Sky BTW, trully love the car for what it is, a first year roadster that any body can afford & have--problem is--finding one--You can probably go to a beamer dealer & drive away with the Z4 today, right now assuming it is equipped with what you want--

Long-Term Test: Automobile Critics Opinions

So that's that.

After dozens of magazines and countless articles, the sun has finally set on our time with our long-term automobile "experts." If you've read anything they've written about the Pontiac Solstice or Saturn SKY in the last year, you won't be surprised that we're not terribly broken up about the parting of ways with these little hacks. While they provided us with lots of wonderful photographs, their clueless ramblings wore us down over the long haul with high levels of incomopetence, a jarring style and a obsession with Miatas that provided more opinionated bloviating than useful information.

Bottom line: The auto critics fill up the pages with words, but with a few too many rough edges.

Summing Up
When it came time to put the magazines away, it became apparent that demand for clueless, abrasive text combined with beautiful roadster photography isn't really all that high. The lucky ones go to the garage and look at their cars and just "know" what truth is.

So that's that. We won't have a lot of fond memories of the writers, but will probably break out the photo spreads once in a while when the sun isn't around and indulge ourselves by wondering what might have been. And what could be with a few more years of higher education and a smattering of common sense.

The Bottom Line: If you want to read quality articles and useful reviews, Playboy Magazine may be for you.
:rofl: Priceless John. Simply priceless. This may have to go up on the wall at the office. :thumbs:

They are ridiculous because it's an american car. If instead of a Pontiac Solstice it hear a Honda Solstice, we'd hear how it's the best thing since sliced bread.

The bias against american cars is beyond ridiculous at this point.
Your comments are very true and it is not with just cars. It is with everything American..........It is typical liberal type "hate American" mentality.......Support your country or get the #$%$ out :patriot:

Thanks Mr. Limbaugh, I listen to your show every day....

Here is another opinion...

Dateline Chicago:

12 inches of snow fell last week followed by 12 degee temps. Put my Sky in Garage and went to Florida to visit Pops.

Pops has a new Lexus RX330 with 953 miles. Wonderful car. Smooth as silk ride (boring).

Came back to Chi town, temps back up to 50 degees, no snow. You know what's next.

Pull out the Sky today, 993 miles on it. Zip around town. (Great ride and lot's of fun).

So there you have it folks. Two opinions. Take your pick. I take the Sky, Today, Tommorrow, Every Day.

That review convinced me that Edmunds is not a source I ever need to go to for information.
It's true. All other auto reviews were surprised at how well the Solstice rode and handled. But the lack of objectivity here immediately becomes obvious with comments like the Pontiac engineers "cannibalized" the trunk to gain beauty over function, and the trunk was so small that you could not go to the grocery store, saying that they needed to buy milk one day and juice the next. Ridiculous! These are just wildly negative statements and loaded descriptions that lend an overall negative feel to what is nothing but a cheap shot (knowing there's no equal opportunity to refute the allegations) to what's disguised as an objective report written by a responsible organization. NOT! Jeez! The trunk is small, can't they just say that? Instead they bring their credibility into question with these exaggerated untruths. I'm really all done with Edmonds after reading this and at the same time experiencing the truth firsthand, there was a time that I would have thought all this stuff was actually true had I not experienced the car for myself.:confused:

:D Maybe Mazda paid this editor to write this article??:jester: :jester: Car companies are like politics, any cheap shot or propaganda they can use against the opponent to confuse or sway the voter/consumer.:D

It's true. All other auto reviews were surprised at how well the Solstice rode and handled. But the lack of objectivity here immediately becomes obvious with comments like the Pontiac engineers "cannibalized" the trunk to gain beauty over function, and the trunk was so small that you could not go to the grocery store, saying that they needed to buy milk one day and juice the next. Ridiculous! These are just wildly negative statements and loaded descriptions that lend an overall negative feel to what is nothing but a cheap shot (knowing there's no equal opportunity to refute the allegations) to what's disguised as an objective report written by a responsible organization. NOT! Jeez! The trunk is small, can't they just say that? Instead they bring their credibility into question with these exaggerated untruths. I'm really all done with Edmonds after reading this and at the same time experiencing the truth firsthand, there was a time that I would have thought all this stuff was actually true had I not experienced the car for myself.:confused:
I was showing my car to someone last night, when I opened up the trunk his comment was, "They designed it to be a true sports car, with one purpose in mind to drive it!" :driving:

I told my wife about the critism of the trunk, before we got the car. Once she saw how the roof operated, she stated "What are they (reviewers) talking about?

nothing is wrong with Rush--he's a great mouth-piece for all the red state Nazi Party members

With winter coming, and the appearance of an AutoWeek article about slow Solstice and Sky sales,
Speaking of AutoWeek, they didn't have much good to say about the Solstice in their Driver's Log (18 December issue, p16). The reviewer didn't like the quality of the materials (he mentioned the dash in particular), and said the car "lacked refinement." He went on to say he thought the suspension was soft (which is ironic, since this seems to be one of the comments that Kappa owners make about the MX-5). Anyway, I figured this wasn't worth a new thread; but for those of you who grouse about moto-journalists, here is another to add to the list.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.