Saturn Sky Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
:thumbs:
:hijack: Can we get back to something we all agree on. That the edmunds review s---s like a brand new hoover!
:agree: It's kind of ironic. I just sold my base Sky to make room for my Redline and the buyer bought it because, as he told me, he had already looked at a Nissan Z (too expensive for what it is) :nono: and a Porsche Boxster (way too sluggish) :nono: . And Miata, not even on the radar screen as far as they were concerned. :nonod: Now Edmunds take that! .:kick: Thats from real people not hired guns.
:cheers:

·
Registered
653 Posts
Speaking of AutoWeek, they didn't have much good to say about the Solstice in their Driver's Log (18 December issue, p16). The reviewer didn't like the quality of the materials (he mentioned the dash in particular), and said the car "lacked refinement." He went on to say he thought the suspension was soft (which is ironic, since this seems to be one of the comments that Kappa owners make about the MX-5). Anyway, I figured this wasn't worth a new thread; but for those of you who grouse about moto-journalists, here is another to add to the list.
This is what irks me the most about Auto journalists. They spend their time driving around and writing about Ferrari's and the like, so much so, that they can't appreciate what a lower car looks like, and why it looks that way. Well, DUH, of course the $25k car won't look as nice inside as the $40k or $50k car. I think they get so biased about 'build quality' from driving around models from all over the price range, that when they get into something that really is nice for it's price, they can't see the forest for the trees. :( :banghead:

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I take my time putting the top down so people have ample opportunity to drool over the car,..not on it though:lol: I try not read reviews as they don't seem to express my opinions enough:cheers:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Some of you guys are way to sensitive. The only opinion of this car that counts is yours. Let them spout all of the BS they like but in the end you're the one smiling. :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
I totally agree with SteveR. If Edmunds, or Car and Driver don't like the Kappa, so be it, but who the hell cares. Life's too short to be aggrevated by some bozo who, for whatever reason, has a different preception of what constitues a great car. I say hit them where it hurts, take Edmunds off your URL bookmarks, or cancel your subscription to magazines that print this crap.

Happy holidays to all of you driving the best looking car in the universe!

larry4pyro

·
Super Moderator
11,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Ok, I'll bite whats the top trick?
I just saw this (I know, holidays were busy what can I say?) and I'll tell you, really simple.

1. Roll down the driver's side Window.
  2. Unlatch the roof.
  3. Open trunk using key fob.
  4. Reaching outside of the driver's window and back you can get your fingers under the trunk lid.
  5. Flip up quickly with your fingers to open the trunk. This takes practice as you don't want to flip too hard. Just enough to get the trunk just under 45 degrees.
  6. As the trunk goes up lower roof. Should slide in under the trunk going up.
  7. Trunk should begin to descend again if you've flipped it up right. If not, you can reach up and grab the latch in the middle of the trunk's leading edge so long as you have it at 45 degrees or less.
  8. Close trunk.
All this can be done from in the car. I did it on the last run I went on and had a Solstice owner come up to me and say in excitment, "Did I just see you put the top down from inside the car!?" Yes... "Can you show me how you did that!?!?!?"

Seriously, I've done this in stop and go traffic. Takes all of a couple seconds once you get it down.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I just saw this (I know, holidays were busy what can I say?) and I'll tell you, really simple.

2. Unlatch the roof.
  4. Reaching outside of the driver's window and back you can get your fingers under the trunk lid.
  5. Flip up quickly with your fingers to open the trunk. This takes practice as you don't want to flip too hard. Just enough to get the trunk just under 45 degrees.
  7. Trunk should begin to descend again if you've flipped it up right. If not, you can reach up and grab the latch in the middle of the trunk's leading edge so long as you have it at 45 degrees or less.
  8. Close trunk.
All this can be done from in the car. I did it on the last run I went on and had a Solstice owner come up to me and say in excitment, "Did I just see you put the top down from inside the car!?" Yes... "Can you show me how you did that!?!?!?"

Seriously, I've done this in stop and go traffic. Takes all of a couple seconds once you get it down.
Did you ever know that your my hero? When are you going to come by Kappasphere and host a class on this?

·
Registered
684 Posts

2. Unlatch the roof.
  8. Close trunk.

I would love to see a video of you doing this.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts

2. Unlatch the roof.
  8. Close trunk.

I'm thinking
1. My arms are too short to make this happen...and...
2. I'm too much of a wuss.

But it's definitely worth a try!

·
Registered
248 Posts
LOL Roof issue: NOT AN ISSUE; Noisey chassey not really, just a squeaky wind deflector. SLOW; HMMM MAYBE A HEAVEY FLY WHEEL. TURBO WILL CURE THIS. NOISY ENGINE? ARE THEY KIDDING ME? NOISY TRANNY WELL I AGREE WITH THEM THERE!!!! COMFORT, STYLE, LUXURY? GOD IT HAS ALL YOU NEED!!! (EXCEPT POWER LOCKS:banghead: :banghead: ) I acutally feel safe knowing that there isnt any thing extravagant for a crook to drool over and damage the car. THE BMW and Mazda LOOK SO WIMPY!! BIG PEOPLE LOOK SO CRAMPED IN THE THINGs, JUST DOESNT LOOK MANLY OR SEXY ENOUGH FOR ME. FOR THE PRICE $28K OUT THE DOOR the SKY CANT BE BEAT!!

·
Super Moderator
11,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Believe it or not arm length may not be a problem. I kind of have to bend my arm a bit funky because it's too long...usually overshoots the edge of the trunk. A little shorter arm might help but really don't think I need to modify the arm just for this. LOL I manage. LOL

I've found you want to do this on flat ground. Uphill is tough because you have to be really light with the flip. Way too easy to flip too hard and have the trunk go all the way up. :banghead: Downhill and the trunk won't go up as far and try to close faster...but far better than uphill.

So if I come to Kappa to do a demonstration (which, of course, will mean I'll screw it up for sure) will you tape it to post it online for Barry? LOL

·
Registered
476 Posts
We always have new goodies! I actually have enough ideas and suggestions from customers to keep me busy into retierment (which is a LONG ways off for me).

·
Registered
637 Posts
Believe it or not arm length may not be a problem. I kind of have to bend my arm a bit funky because it's too long...usually overshoots the edge of the trunk. A little shorter arm might help but really don't think I need to modify the arm just for this. LOL I manage. LOL

I've found you want to do this on flat ground. Uphill is tough because you have to be really light with the flip. Way too easy to flip too hard and have the trunk go all the way up. :banghead: Downhill and the trunk won't go up as far and try to close faster...but far better than uphill.

So if I come to Kappa to do a demonstration (which, of course, will mean I'll screw it up for sure) will you tape it to post it online for Barry? LOL
how long did you have your Sky before you were able to accomplish this...the top feels a little too stiff on mine to be able to just throw it back there and have it sink far enough into the trunk...and the trunk really has to be slammed pretty hard to get it to close properly.

·
Super Moderator
11,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
how long did you have your Sky before you were able to accomplish this...the top feels a little too stiff on mine to be able to just throw it back there and have it sink far enough into the trunk...and the trunk really has to be slammed pretty hard to get it to close properly.
Well, you still have to push the top down pretty firmly to get it to seat fully. Then sometimes, as always, you may have to close the trunk twice. However I've found that if you do three firm pushes across the top and push firmly in the center of the trunk over that front bulkhead that you usually will get it on the first try.

I probably had the car for a couple months before I figured this trick out.

·
Registered
637 Posts
how can you push the top down in the trunk while still seated in the car?... I believe you when you say you're capable of doing this...but aren't you worried that the top won't seat correctly?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I dont often reply, but read...so this is what i have to say....The reason I bought my redline was because I seen another person pull up in a 2.4 and was stunned how amazing the car looked. The person in the car was cool and confident. Whenever a guy pulls up in a "miata" what is the first thought that come to you??? ....Think about that one. Get my point? Have fun all you masculine miata drivers! Hahahaa

·
Super Moderator
11,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
how can you push the top down in the trunk while still seated in the car?... I believe you when you say you're capable of doing this...but aren't you worried that the top won't seat correctly?
Maybe that's where my height comes in handy. :) But no, never had a problem. Also, with mine the part that usually doesn't seat is the rear crossmember of the top. If you just closed the trunk the trunk itself can press down evenly on this member and seat it properly. However, doing it this way will mean you will probably have to close the trunk twice.

The ONLY problem with this meathod is you have to have almost nothing in your trunk and KNOW that the side areas where the buttresses stow is completely clear.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts