Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everytime I read a thread about someone receiving "the call" I wondered how I might react. I'm sort of a laid back retired ol geezer so I expected that event to be somewhat of a ho-hummer. Well, let me tell those that are still waiting, that call is almost as good as sex. My heart raced, my palms got sweaty, and I couldn't stop thinking "this is just a dream, it really hasn't arrived". I wasn't this excited when I bought my first airplane 15 years ago.

My dealer was one that would NOT give out any information at all. If fact they got really short with me when I called them last month for an update and valid order number and a copy of my "event history". All they told me on June 15th that my order number was KBVC2V. I told them that the number was not a real order number and was told that's all the information I was going to get, any other info was "dealer confidential". So, obviously, I didn't call back anytime soon.

My Silver Graphite Sky arrived yesterday (VIN #4093) and my new (3rd one) salesman told me I could pick it up at 6:00 pm last night. I was all excited as I watched the clock go to 1:00 pm, 2:00,....5:00 and was ready to drive down and get the car when I got another call. I was told that they just finished installing the CAI and would not have time to simonize the car, so I can pick it up tomorrow at 1:00 pm. Obviously, going to sleep was difficult (not to mention my wife's snooring). I woke up this morning at 4:30 am dreaming about the 20 mile drive back home.

Also he told me that he knew I had ordered the premium red trim, but when the order was placed there was a red trim constraint, so they ordered black trim. I really wanted the red trim because I think it really accents the black interior, however, not enough for me to refuse the car.

The salesman started the conversation by telling me that the Orlando dealers were marking up their Skys $3,000.00 over MSRP, and that they didn't feel that was fair to their customers. Then is when I was told that they were selling it to me at MSRP, HOWEVER, they were adding the exterior protection package (in essense a $599.00 wax job) and also another package for interior protection at $399.00. I told him I didn't order or want either of these packages and was told that the owner had decided that these two packages will go on every Sky that comes in. Would I rather pay an extra $3,000 in Orlando or $1,000 in Melbourne? Well, like most of you, that really irritated me, but not enough to refuse the car. But, the experience really did take away a lot of the excitement that had built up. Anyway, it's here, and the longwait is over and the joys of driving the best looking car in the US is coming soon.

Pictures coming as soon as it quits raining here in central Florida. Many thanks to all the forum members that helped me suffer through the 3 month wait.

Larry

·
Registered
105 Posts
I had a similar experience at the dealer... pushing the $600 wax job, lo-jack, the clear bra, etc. The premium over MSRP which had never been mentioned when the car was ordered, 11 months earlier... The extreme low ball offer on the the trade, etc. I felt bad about the whole thing, but stuck with the deal. I had serious buyers remorse as a result. I wish I had walked away, but I was too excited to get my car. To this day, however, it burns me when I think of how the whole thing happened. I will never go back to that dealer. I will get EVERYTHING in writing up front next time (when I 'ordered' my car in june of '05 MSRP had not been set, so there was no talk of premium over that). I went into a Saturn dealer with certain expectations (no haggle pricing, great customer service, non of the cheap, after the fact additions). I am soured to the whole marquee now, and I think GM has let this ruin their brand. I realize that GM cannot tell dealers what to set as a price, but GM holds all the cards - they control the inventory. They should have seen how bad this is for their supposed "halo" car - the one to bring people into the dealers - is actually going to turn many people off to the brand overall.
Congrats on your new car. I love mine. You will love yours, I dont mean to gripe. I think the whole deal could have been so much better, because this really is a fun, wonderful car. Enjoy your new ride! :thumbs:

·
Registered
574 Posts
Larry Congrats !!!!!

longwaitlarry said:
Everytime I read a thread about someone receiving "the call" I wondered how I might react. I'm sort of a laid back retired ol geezer so I expected that event to be somewhat of a ho-hummer. Well, let me tell those that are still waiting, that call is almost as good as sex. My heart raced, my palms got sweaty, and I couldn't stop thinking "this is just a dream, it really hasn't arrived". I wasn't this excited when I bought my first airplane 15 years ago.

My dealer was one that would NOT give out any information at all. If fact they got really short with me when I called them last month for an update and valid order number and a copy of my "event history". All they told me on June 15th that my order number was KBVC2V. I told them that the number was not a real order number and was told that's all the information I was going to get, any other info was "dealer confidential". So, obviously, I didn't call back anytime soon.

My Silver Graphite Sky arrived yesterday (VIN #4093) and my new (3rd one) salesman told me I could pick it up at 6:00 pm last night. I was all excited as I watched the clock go to 1:00 pm, 2:00,....5:00 and was ready to drive down and get the car when I got another call. I was told that they just finished installing the CAI and would not have time to simonize the car, so I can pick it up tomorrow at 1:00 pm. Obviously, going to sleep was difficult (not to mention my wife's snooring). I woke up this morning at 4:30 am dreaming about the 20 mile drive back home.

Also he told me that he knew I had ordered the premium red trim, but when the order was placed there was a red trim constraint, so they ordered black trim. I really wanted the red trim because I think it really accents the black interior, however, not enough for me to refuse the car.

The salesman started the conversation by telling me that the Orlando dealers were marking up their Skys $3,000.00 over MSRP, and that they didn't feel that was fair to their customers. Then is when I was told that they were selling it to me at MSRP, HOWEVER, they were adding the exterior protection package (in essense a $599.00 wax job) and also another package for interior protection at $399.00. I told him I didn't order or want either of these packages and was told that the owner had decided that these two packages will go on every Sky that comes in. Would I rather pay an extra $3,000 in Orlando or $1,000 in Melbourne? Well, like most of you, that really irritated me, but not enough to refuse the car. But, the experience really did take away a lot of the excitement that had built up. Anyway, it's here, and the longwait is over and the joys of driving the best looking car in the US is coming soon.

Pictures coming as soon as it quits raining here in central Florida. Many thanks to all the forum members that helped me suffer through the 3 month wait.

Larry
Now for that first magic moment at the dealer when you realize....THAT CAR IS MINE!!!! Also aftermarket red inserts just for the seats are pretty cool and not too expensive....and then you have a Sky thats even more unique!:cheers:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Three months from deposit to delivery!! Incredible!! Congratulations and enjoy the ride...:thumbs:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
You are now SKYdriverLarry!!!:cheers: :lol: :cheers:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
chris67 said:
Now for that first magic moment at the dealer when you realize....THAT CAR IS MINE!!!! Also aftermarket red inserts just for the seats are pretty cool and not too expensive....and then you have a Sky thats even more unique!:cheers:
Thanks chris....I haven't picked it up yet but I know its going to be a great experience

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
motocrash said:
I had a similar experience at the dealer... pushing the $600 wax job, lo-jack, the clear bra, etc. The premium over MSRP which had never been mentioned when the car was ordered, 11 months earlier... The extreme low ball offer on the the trade, etc. I felt bad about the whole thing, but stuck with the deal. I had serious buyers remorse as a result. I wish I had walked away, but I was too excited to get my car. To this day, however, it burns me when I think of how the whole thing happened. I will never go back to that dealer. I will get EVERYTHING in writing up front next time (when I 'ordered' my car in june of '05 MSRP had not been set, so there was no talk of premium over that). I went into a Saturn dealer with certain expectations (no haggle pricing, great customer service, non of the cheap, after the fact additions). I am soured to the whole marquee now, and I think GM has let this ruin their brand. I realize that GM cannot tell dealers what to set as a price, but GM holds all the cards - they control the inventory. They should have seen how bad this is for their supposed "halo" car - the one to bring people into the dealers - is actually going to turn many people off to the brand overall.
Congrats on your new car. I love mine. You will love yours, I dont mean to gripe. I think the whole deal could have been so much better, because this really is a fun, wonderful car. Enjoy your new ride! :thumbs:
Thanks for your story, I think it (the irritation) will subside after a year or so. I need to buy my daughter a new Vue before she goes off to college, not sure where to buy it now.

·
Registered
129 Posts
longwaitlarry said:
Then is when I was told that they were selling it to me at MSRP, HOWEVER, they were adding the exterior protection package (in essense a $599.00 wax job) and also another package for interior protection at $399.00. I told him I didn't order or want either of these packages and was told that the owner had decided that these two packages will go on every Sky that comes in. Would I rather pay an extra $3,000 in Orlando or $1,000 in Melbourne? Well, like most of you, that really irritated me, but not enough to refuse the car. But, the experience really did take away a lot of the excitement that had built up.
Is it fair to say if this happens, we could firmly say that if the dealer insists on this, we may take the vehicle, but we will report that action to Saturn Corp and it could possibly affect any more allocations for that dealership??

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
CONGRATS........ SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
flyguy115 said:
Three months from deposit to delivery!! Incredible!! Congratulations and enjoy the ride...:thumbs:
Thanks flyguy, three months felt like three years, but its here now.:D

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rick Tinley Park said:
You are now SKYdriverLarry!!!:cheers: :lol: :cheers:
Thanks Rick...for sticking with all of us even after you received yours.:cheers:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ernest said:
Congratulations, Larry. It is time for miles of smiles, so get ready!!!!!
Thanks Ernest...you've had yours a long time too, so thanks for staying with the forum.:cheers:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SkyBaby said:
CONGRATS........ SkyBaby-07
Thank you SkyBaby.....if I lived in Illinois I would join your group and enjoy riding with bunches of Skys.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
CONGRATS!!!

One more SKY to look at and enjoy!!!

Regards,

:willy: BA :willy:

·
Super Moderator
11,620 Posts
mbleigh said:
Is it fair to say if this happens, we could firmly say that if the dealer insists on this, we may take the vehicle, but we will report that action to Saturn Corp and it could possibly affect any more allocations for that dealership??
I would, ABSOLUTELY. My dealer tried the markup thing with me. Even said how ALL the dealers in the area were doing it. Luckily I had a deposit on one at a dealership that WASN'T doing that. I got the car at MSRP.

It really burns me up though that the dealers are doing this when before Saturn was no haggle and fixed pricing.

They better be careful...otherwise that new slogan of theirs, "Like Always. Like never before." is going to have a whole different meaning.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Yeah let them know about the 1k required add-ons.

Youthemanlarry

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Congrats! And, I notice a VIN over 4,000. That'a a lotta SKYs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Larry,

Congratulations!! I know how excited you were. I was the same way three days ago when I got the call.

When we picked up the car their finance person was on vacation so we signed a few papers along with a promisory note and drove the car home that night. We have to go back one day next week to do the financing. The price was based on the MSRP and we had no problems at all with the dealership or our salesman.

ENJOY!!

Carol

1 - 20 of 44 Posts