Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,277 Posts
I agree with John in most of his comments. I would drive both, I think the Redline is a lot more car, but may bring some extra problems in the long run.

If you buy an automatic, learn how to use the automatic the way it was intended to be used in the twisties. The "I" gear makes it very competitive with the sticks, and way more fun to drive in traffic. I have two sticks and an auto. I always choose the auto to drive, just way more fun, plus it is faster in acceleration.

Buy what you like, you will see that special one, that will make you all warm and fuzzy, then the grin will start and it will continue to grow until you look like Howdy Doody!!!

·
Super Moderator
11,230 Posts
Interesting note about longevity.

Yesterday on the way home I see a Solstice on the side of the road. I pull over to see if I can offer assistance. He says he doesn't think so...one of the coolant lines to the heater core broke and he lost his coolant. Tow truck was on the way. He stated that between that, and a high pressure fuel pump (GXP turbo model), the car had been pretty reliable. It was an 09.

He then told me he had 230,000 miles on it! Looked a hell of a lot better than my 2004 Sierra truck with 222,000 on it, that's for sure.

So not sure if this is atypical or not but that's a lot of miles on an engine and seems to be doing well...other than heater hoses.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
The electric seats are actually very worthwhile. They give you the option of running the seat slightly forward off the back panel and then raking it back until it touches. That's the most comfortable combination (for me anyway) for driving.

Too bad they didn't have a set up like BMW - you can set up three different preset positions that can be selected by pressing a button - didn't the Cadillacs also have that? Too expensive for Kappas I guess.

One bit of advice to the OP - if you opt for an NA car, do yourself a very big favour and neither drive nor be driven in a turbo version EVER! If you do, you may well regret your decision.

·
Super Moderator
5,572 Posts
The electric seats are actually very worthwhile. They give you the option of running the seat slightly forward off the back panel and then raking it back until it touches. That's the most comfortable combination (for me anyway) for driving.

Too bad they didn't have a set up like BMW - you can set up three different preset positions that can be selected by pressing a button - didn't the Cadillacs also have that? Too expensive for Kappas I guess.

One bit of advice to the OP - if you opt for an NA car, do yourself a very big favour and neither drive nor be driven in a turbo version EVER! If you do, you may well regret your decision.
I do not understand why you need the electric seat to be able to adjust it the way you describe. I have the identical setup in both cars, one with and one without the vertical adjustment.

My Equinox (a lowly Chevrolet, even) has the seat adjustment memory with two settings that are slaved to the fobs as well as the selector buttons. Sometimes we even use it.

I switch back and forth between NA and RL frequently without any ill effects or regrets. An advantage of being a lower-level driver, I guess.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Heavenly days!! Since I bought the '09 Coupe with electric seat, I still DID NOT realize there was a forward travel of a great deal of movement, forward and backward.

My wife had me convinced she could not drive the Coupe because she couldn't reach the accelerator pedal. Psst....she thinks I'm too particular with both cars and doesn't want to bruise either one or be blamed for such (could be right on that one). In addition, I bought the Coupe because it HAD an electric seat in hopes she could drive it. :- ((

THANKS, ROBO! A nice clear explanation finally sunk in with me. Here all this while, some 6 months, I actually thought the electric seat was only movement, up and down. The problem is solved and now we need to take it for some drives while I ride shotgun. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm 6' and my wife is 5'2" she drives the sky with the seat very far forward (probably 6" from back of seat to waterfall. I have the seat all the way back.

·
Registered
417 Posts
My 2009 has an auxiliary jack for MP3 players and the like that I don't believe was available in earlier years. The owners manual has a section on USB 2.0 connectivity as well, although mine has no USB jack. Memory is foggy on the availability of Bluetooth connectivity. Mine has it, but it might be there on all years(?)

Robo is correct that there are no center console cup holders on the 2009. He's also correct that some find them useless. I'm one of those. Food and beverages are not permitted in the Sky! :willy::laugh:

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
My 2009 has an auxiliary jack for MP3 players and the like that I don't believe was available in earlier years. The owners manual has a section on USB 2.0 connectivity as well, although mine has no USB jack. Memory is foggy on the availability of Bluetooth connectivity. Mine has it, but it might be there on all years(?)

Robo is correct that there are no center console cup holders on the 2009. He's also correct that some find them useless. I'm one of those. Food and beverages are not permitted in the Sky! :willy::laugh:
I have the base US8 radio in my 2006 Solstice - it has the aux jack. It was on all radios in the kappas for all years, even the radios with the USB jack. Bluetooth was a 2009 option.

:thumbs:

·
Registered
417 Posts
I have the base US8 radio in my 2006 Solstice - it has the aux jack. It was on all radios in the kappas for all years, even the radios with the USB jack. Bluetooth was a 2009 option.

Ahh, right. I read the manual and must have misinterpreted it: "The radio system may have an auxiliary input jack...". Didn't think enough about how this was written. It was the Bluetooth that was the option. Old age is getting to me :frown: :smile: Or the :cheers: perhaps.

:dthumbs:

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Ahh, right. I read the manual and must have misinterpreted it: "The radio system may have an auxiliary input jack...". Didn't think enough about how this was written. It was the Bluetooth that was the option. Old age is getting to me :frown: :smile: Or the :cheers: perhaps.

:dthumbs:
I had to look it up in the printbooks, where they had pictures of the radios. I remembered the bluetooth part. :grin:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Early build 2007s didn't have a door lock switch in the car so you can only unlock the doors with the key fob, inserting the key into the door, or pulling up on the lock nub/pin/switch
Thanks for this. Test drove one today, it didnt have a common sense door lock and it bugged the hell out of me. Glad to know it's pretty rare.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
The 2007 I was looking at was built in 2006 and maybe does not have the air tire pressure system. Kinda nice in a way to not have that.

Rodney

·
Registered
358 Posts
Yes, absolutely. Buyer's remorse is horrible!

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
The 2007 I was looking at was built in 2006 and maybe does not have the air tire pressure system. Kinda nice in a way to not have that.

Rodney
Actually, no. That system is pretty useful and will warn you of a slow leak - I had one rim that had a very slow leak after fitting new tires and I was able to catch it and rectify it long before I would have noticed it otherwise.

BTW, welcome to modern Pontiacs. Rodney is a long time Fiero nut as I used to be and has created many useful items for those cars.

Rodney, you really should consider the turbo version - it gets better mileage when you don't have your foot into it and the comparison in power is very substantial. While long term maintenance costs may be higher it is worth it! And buy a 2009 if you can - it is like the 1988 Fiero - it had all the last features that GM had for the cars and all the glitches in previous years were sorted out.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Actually, no. That system is pretty useful and will warn you of a slow leak - I had one rim that had a very slow leak after fitting new tires and I was able to catch it and rectify it long before I would have noticed it otherwise.
I've only owned two cars that had tire pressure monitoring systems--the systems were fantastic at notifying me that they had malfunctioned, but their utility in giving me information about tire pressure was dubious at best. I am happy to not have it on the Sky.

Rodney, you really should consider the turbo version - it gets better mileage when you don't have your foot into it and the comparison in power is very substantial. While long term maintenance costs may be higher it is worth it!
I will second this--the turbo is dramatically more powerful and also gets better fuel economy when driven with care.:cheers:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Robo, you mentioned the twin cup holder in the earlier model Skys that my ‘09 doesn’t have. Is it possible to find those, and would they be interchangeable with my center console? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,277 Posts
I don't think they are available in OEM condition, but possibly thru junk yards. I will have one available towards the winter months. I have a 2007 Sky that I will be parting out/making into a trailer then.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
I've only owned two cars that had tire pressure monitoring systems--the systems were fantastic at notifying me that they had malfunctioned, but their utility in giving me information about tire pressure was dubious at best. I am happy to not have it on the Sky.
Interesting, wonder what cars you had them in.

My personal experience has been very good with them. I Had it in my 2008 Dodge, have it in my 2010 Dodge, had it in my 2013 volt, have it in my 2015 volt, have it in my 2016 cruze, have it in my 2009 Sky. And have never had a TPMS fail. But have had them catch slow leaks, and just seasonal changes.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts