Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I have been a long time lurker and have enjoyed all the information I've picked up on the forum over the years. I have a 2009 RL with 52k. Bought it in 2013 with 38k(drove from SC to Fla to get it). Was going to sell it last year but changed my mind and parted ways with my wife's 2017 RS convertible. Ours is white with the tan top. Top is showing a little wear in the stitching in one spot and I was hoping someone could direct me in the right direction to find a black top. I thought someone else did this color change recently. I have had no luck finding one near SC. I am just a weekend enthusiast and my car is completely stock so I am not well versed in parts hunting. I am actively looking for front oem wheel liners and found them for 80 something apiece but they want over 350 to ship. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Hi everyone I have been a long time lurker and have enjoyed all the information I've picked up on the forum over the years. I have a 2009 RL with 52k. Bought it in 2013 with 38k(drove from SC to Fla to get it). Was going to sell it last year but changed my mind and parted ways with my wife's 2017 RS convertible. Ours is white with the tan top. Top is showing a little wear in the stitching in one spot and I was hoping someone could direct me in the right direction to find a black top. I thought someone else did this color change recently. I have had no luck finding one near SC. I am just a weekend enthusiast and my car is completely stock so I am not well versed in parts hunting. I am actively looking for front oem wheel liners and found them for 80 something apiece but they want over 350 to ship. Any help would be appreciated.
I swapped my tan top to black last year on my bluestone RL and love the difference it made. It was a pretty straight forward process, but of course I had a few hiccups along the way. From all that I have seen for some reason the tan tops seem to wear at the stitching faster than the black. I had the same issue and did a very somewhat successful job of re-stitching them. The top was still slightly faded though and I ultimately liked the black with my exterior color more. I purchased mine from a local salvage yard (LKQ) I used this website to find it.

Search under roof for your car and it will organize the results by location. You can also see the condition grade and price. I ended up finding a 35k mile GXP that was wrecked out of the Dallas area. I paid around $800 for the top and it was close to mint. Since the other location was also a LKQ yard, LKQ shipped it from that location to my location no charge and I just picked it up from them and brought it home. To swap the top is 11 bolts, the hardest part was getting everything realigned. I found the secret for me anyway, was not to overtighten the top's bolts and that fixed almost all of my alignment issues. Also note that when looking for a used top there were two tops made, Plan A and Plan B. Your car is a Plan B because it was built after the change in late 2007. To make your life easier target cars that are 2008 and above and you won't have to worry about it being a Plan A top. (good luck explaining the difference at the salvage yard, so it's easier this way) Also, Solstice tops are completely compatible so you can buy one of their tops. Which is good as there are around 3 times more Solstices on the road and assumedly in salvage yards too. Note: Early Solstices had the interior headliner optional, this was standard on all Skys. I believe sometime around 2008 is became standard on them as well, but I'm not 100% sure. If there is interior pictures if you can see the frame hardware, it's missing the headliner.

Feel free to shoot me a line if you need any help and I'll be glad to lend it if I can. I'm in Texas or I would even offer to help you swap it out, now that I've done it a couple of times. I have a thread on my top change I'll find it and post it here for you as well, hopefully it will add some insight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I swapped my tan top to black last year on my bluestone RL and love the difference it made. It was a pretty straight forward process, but of course I had a few hiccups along the way. From all that I have seen for some reason the tan tops seem to wear at the stitching faster than the black. I had the same issue and did a very somewhat successful job of re-stitching them. The top was still slightly faded though and I ultimately liked the black with my exterior color more. I purchased mine from a local salvage yard (LKQ) I used this website to find it.

Search under roof for your car and it will organize the results by location. You can also see the condition grade and price. I ended up finding a 35k mile GXP that was wrecked out of the Dallas area. I paid around $800 for the top and it was close to mint. Since the other location was also a LKQ yard, LKQ shipped it from that location to my location no charge and I just picked it up from them and brought it home. To swap the top is 11 bolts, the hardest part was getting everything realigned. I found the secret for me anyway, was not to overtighten the top's bolts and that fixed almost all of my alignment issues. Also note that when looking for a used top there were two tops made, Plan A and Plan B. Your car is a Plan B because it was built after the change in late 2007. To make your life easier target cars that are 2008 and above and you won't have to worry about it being a Plan A top. (good luck explaining the difference at the salvage yard, so it's easier this way) Also, Solstice tops are completely compatible so you can buy one of their tops. Which is good as there are around 3 times more Solstices on the road and assumedly in salvage yards too. Note: Early Solstices had the interior headliner optional, this was standard on all Skys. I believe sometime around 2008 is became standard on them as well, but I'm not 100% sure. If there is interior pictures if you can see the frame hardware, it's missing the headliner.

Feel free to shoot me a line if you need any help and I'll be glad to lend it if I can. I'm in Texas or I would even offer to help you swap it out, now that I've done it a couple of times. I have a thread on my top change I'll find it and post it here for you as well, hopefully it will add some insight.
Thanks for the response. I will try LKQ. Didn't know I could use a solstice top...you just doubled my chances of finding one 😅.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts