Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all !... new to the forum and bought this car about a year ago. Unfortunately I'm now searching for a good convertible top frame. I was on the freeway today doing 70 when the top blew open and bout gave me a heart attack! Needless to say it bent it up pretty bad, enough so that it wont go in the trunk or back to meet the windshield. The car is a low mileage 2007 Redline and the canvas top was not damaged but the frame is tweaked pretty bad and these things are overly complicated as i'm sure you guys are aware. If anyone knows of a frame for sale please let me know. Thanks DD

·
Registered
128 Posts
Welcome aboard. I feel your pain. I had the front hood on my MGB break its latch and come flying back over the windscreen at about 50 mph. Scared the SH** out of me...

·
Premium Member
5,342 Posts
Where are you located?

It is a real b!tch to replace the cover on the frame. Or at least that is what I have been told several times. I have two frames, but live in SoCal. If you are close we can get you fixed up. But not shipping the darned thing.

I would recommend trying to find a used top on line or at a junk yard

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where are you located?

It is a real b!tch to replace the cover on the frame. Or at least that is what I have been told several times. I have two frames, but live in SoCal. If you are close we can get you fixed up. But not shipping the darned thing.

I would recommend trying to find a used top on line or at a junk yard
Thanks skersfan ! I'm in Nashville so i took your advice and found one at redline auto parts. It's Black and the Orig was Tan but now that I have it on I think I like it better. tiny bit of fading where the supports are and some small areas that need stitching repair but in overall good shape and seems to seal good. And yeah changing the cover on these frames is not for the feint of heart. It involves glue / rivets, lots of cables, tensioning elastic and plastic parts. I'm going to try and bend the warped frame back into shape cause the tan cover is in perfect shape.
* To any one replacing these soft tops be aware that the weather stripping design on the front edge of the top (that meets the windshield) was changed mid-year 2006 of production, plan-A for VIN before these numbers and a plan-B for a VIN sequence AFTER (solstice - 6Y118652 / Sky - 7Y103259 ).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts