Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my Dads Sky & it has been quite neglected - Tail lights have condensation in them, Scratches & Such, is there a place to buy aftermarket Assemblies with a little more style? or what is the best place other than ebay for anything aftermarket - seem to be havign trouble finding all items

·
Administrator
7,932 Posts
I just got my Dads Sky & it has been quite neglected - Tail lights have condensation in them, Scratches & Such, is there a place to buy aftermarket Assemblies with a little more style? or what is the best place other than ebay for anything aftermarket - seem to be havign trouble finding all items
Welcome to the forum.

There is very little aftermarket for the Sky, and not that many original equipment parts available when it comes to body parts, so you are going to have trouble finding things. There are parts out there, but there aren't many, and they are likely to be expensive.

Most of us consider the car to have enough style as it is, so there hasn't been much demand for more bling.

·
Registered
865 Posts
There is very few aftermarket anything for our cars anymore. Besides some mechanical aftermarket support there is basically zero when it comes to anything else. That's why you're having issues finding anything.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Can you give us an idea of what you’re looking for? There really are a few nice options out there body wise and quite a bit for performance upgrades. This site is a wealth of knowledge with a lot of people that have done the upgrades.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you give us an idea of what you’re looking for? There really are a few nice options out there body wise and quite a bit for performance upgrades. This site is a wealth of knowledge with a lot of people that have done the upgrades.
My immediate thought is to get it looking good again - Since the taillights have condensation I was looking to replace them. Also the Buttress trunk protectors are cracked & Have dirt trapped under them. I am looking for easy enough Appearance items first and then I can move into performance. My dad just let this sit for the past few years.

·
Administrator
7,932 Posts
My immediate thought is to get it looking good again - Since the taillights have condensation I was looking to replace them. Also the Buttress trunk protectors are cracked & Have dirt trapped under them. I am looking for easy enough Appearance items first and then I can move into performance. My dad just let this sit for the past few years.
Condensation under some conditions is fairly normal, but I have not heard of it staying there long term. Scratches can be polished out. Replacement light assemblies are going to range from fairly to very expensive depending on condition.

The protective film is a clear-bra material and can be removed with a heat gun, careful use of a plastic razor blade and goo-gone. Some people replace it and some do not.

Which engine does the car have?

Reactions: a280z

·
Registered
865 Posts
Sadly there simply wasn't enough Skys made (around 30k) for the aftermarket lighting groups to put something out there. Because of that the only options available are either going to be NOS for a hefty premium or some take offs. With less and less parts out there every year the prices are steadily rising. There are some on here who have successfully refurbished headlights and taillights. With the latter being more difficult to split open as I understand it.

As far as the buttress trunk protectors, that's a very common problem I see on the FB groups all the time. I would peel them off with heat or an eraser wheel and then just leave them off. You can buy NOS replacements for around $30 each online, but many don't and don't seem to have any issues with the tops rubbing the paint. It look like this was just an extra precaution GM did so cars wouldn't come back under warranty with paint damage.

The biggest complaint of owners of these cars seems to be the diminishing parts. Some here have acquired quite the inventory of parts so you may get lucky and someone will offer up some of theirs.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Simple and easy would be to black out those chromes. I feel Saturn went overboard with the plastic chrome and fake grilles. There are a few owners who did a great job modernizing the look of the car by reducing the shiny bits that didn't age well.
Swap out for some good quality tires and immediately enhance the grip handling of your Sky.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Condensation under some conditions is fairly normal, but I have not heard of it staying there long term. Scratches can be polished out. Replacement light assemblies are going to range from fairly to very expensive depending on condition.

The protective film is a clear-bra material and can be removed with a heat gun, careful use of a plastic razor blade and goo-gone. Some people replace it and some do not.

Which engine does the car have?
I just did a VIN Search & it came back as a Redline 2.0 Turbo. There does not seem to be much indicating the redline series other than the seats having a Red line.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I just did a VIN Search & it came back as a Redline 2.0 Turbo. There does not seem to be much indicating the redline series other than the seats having a Red line.
The "Redline" is what Saturn called the Turbo version of the car (as opposed to the "base" Sky).

There are MANY differences between the Sky Redline and the base Sky (the engine certainly being the biggest one).

I'm sure that if you google "differences bewteen a Sky Redline and base" you can find a variety of articles describing the differences. Some are minor (seat stitching), others are significant (HP and torque).

·
Registered
865 Posts
If the VIN had an X in the 8th digit than yeah, it's a RL. Other than the seat embroidery, it didn't actually say "Red line" anywhere else on the car besides the floor mats. There is a small silver square badge with a red line through it next to the Sky badge on the rear left of the car. On the right rear there is a another badge that just says "turbo". Other than that there is no other badging differences between the two trims. The other differences between the base Sky and the RL are;
-2.0 LNF turbo engine
-limited slip differential
-Sport tuned suspension
-traction control with competition mode
-blacked out headlights
-open lower front grilles next to fog lights for the front brake cooling ducts
-silver painted faux fender vents
-160mph speedometer, with 6250 RPM redline, and white banded gauges
-turbo boost gauge in the DIC
-dual exhaust
-polished alloy wheels (chrome was optional on both trims)
-polished lower door inserts (optional on base)
-stainless metal pedal covers (optional on base)
-steering wheel audio controls (optional on base)

·
Administrator
7,932 Posts
If the VIN had an X in the 8th digit than yeah, it's a RL. Other than the seat embroidery, it didn't actually say "Red line" anywhere else on the car besides the floor mats. There is a small silver square badge with a red line through it next to the Sky badge on the rear left of the car. On the right rear there is a another badge that just says "turbo". Other than that there is no other badging differences between the two trims. The other differences between the base Sky and the RL are;
-2.0 LNF turbo engine
-Sport tuned suspension
-blacked out headlights
-dual exhaust
-LSD was optional for the base
-Base has 3.91 final drive while RL has 3.73
-Base has "Sport-Tuned" suspension, while RL has "Performance-Tuned"
-Traction control was standard in both models starting in 2008

Reactions: mydads-sky

·
Registered
66 Posts

For body parts, check out Norm's Fiberglass. Parts take awhile to be made and delivered, but they're usually worth the wait.

For other things, you might reach out to DDMWorks. They have some really helpful people who can answer some tough questions.

Don't underestimate your local mechanics, too. I say this because I never thought I'd be fortunate enough to find a Saturn Master Tech at my local Chevy dealership but I did, and one who owns a Saturn Sky, too.

·
Premium Member
2007 emerald green 2.4
327 Posts
Mydads-sky, I was in the same boat only it was my mom that had neglected the car. I've done an awful lot in the year I've had it and spent hours online looking for info and parts. There is no one that makes an after-market taillight for the sky so your options are limited to replace with used or very pricey new ones or work with what you got

·
Registered
43 Posts
-2.0 LNF turbo engine
-Sport tuned suspension
-blacked out headlights
-dual exhaust
Thanks for the detailed info...nice to know!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts