Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If at all possible, I would prefer to buy a set of OEM splash guards for my 2009 Red Line. If not, does anyone know a good alternative to OEM that can be purchased readily. Many thanks.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Do you run into speed bumps very often?

I was advised to think about putting splash guards on my front fenders. Seems speed bumps as well as any small drop from a road surface can hit the splash guard and then damage your WHEEL LINER and/or your FENDER. (psst, any idea what new SKY front fenders end up costing, if you can find them?)

I bought my SKY in 2011 and have driven it 18K miles so far, plus have driven my 2017 purchased Solstice some 5K miles. Both cars are never on gravel or dirt, a NO-NO. So far, sides on both cars are the same as when purchased and not needing to be repainted. Confession,..... did purchase front splash guards for the Solstice and never installed them per advice.

Your travel surfaces could be acceptable. ??

·
Registered
17,443 Posts
Although I am sitting on a new set of Sky splash guards...they r not 4 sale...but go into Ebay and see some of our demolished cars...they r in junk yards...u can see if they have a set...just call up the junk yard.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you run into speed bumps very often?

I was advised to think about putting splash guards on my front fenders. Seems speed bumps as well as any small drop from a road surface can hit the splash guard and then damage your WHEEL LINER and/or your FENDER. (psst, any idea what new SKY front fenders end up costing, if you can find them?)

I bought my SKY in 2011 and have driven it 18K miles so far, plus have driven my 2017 purchased Solstice some 5K miles. Both cars are never on gravel or dirt, a NO-NO. So far, sides on both cars are the same as when purchased and not needing to be repainted. Confession,..... did purchase front splash guards for the Solstice and never installed them per advice.

Your travel surfaces could be acceptable. ??
I never intend to drive on gravel or dirt roads and rarely come across speed bumps, but you make a good point. Really more concerned about preventing stone chips etc down the sides.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Splash guards help but are not the fix all for stone chips.
3M film for the area near your rear wheels helps, as it does with the front bumper/hood. Can or could be used for under your buttress panels too.

The lowest point in our cars imo are the front plastic/rubber air dam and the front splash guards. They rub first against anything.
Mine came with OEM for the Sky. The ones for the Sol are different I think, as are the aftermarket ones.

Can cause stress cracks to your front fenders or wheel liners. Mine has two hairline factures on both my front fenders.
Maybe some thin foam or rubber between the body panels and guards might help? Attachment points here take abuse, even with normal driving.

Plastic clips are better imo, as opposed to metal screws/bolts. Cheaper too.

Gravel or non paved roads... yeah. Not in my case however. Driveway all 700 feet of it gravel. Slow travel in and out. Summit Point Motorsports Park which I visit often... is all gravel. Slow is the way to go, if you happen to encounter it.

LAC

1 - 5 of 5 Posts