Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, new to the forums, but happy to be here.

been looking at getting a redline for a while now and slowly saving the money.

found a redline near ish to me with near 220k miles for only 3-4K, and curious wether folks familiar with the platform think this is a steal or a waste of a perfectly Good 4$k.

i understand the monster is in the maintenance (or in some cases lack thereof) but the car seems intact, albeit with a lack of important info on the page. I’m sure I can ask for service records and the like, but my main concern is if 220k is just too much.

many thanks in advance and I’d like to be come a full fledged member of this forum sooner rather than later (with a kappa of my own)

cheers!

·
Registered
38 Posts
If it was well maintained, 220k shouldn't be a huge issue. Talk with the owner and pull the Carfax, that's a good price for a Redline if it runs and drives

·
Registered
144 Posts
Personally i wouldn't buy it because of the mileage but that's just me. It may be fine if you are planning some engine upgrades etc though.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Main things I'd ask about: Control arm bushings (super hard to find), sway bar bushings, shocks, brake rotors, break pads, water pump, gaskets, rear main seal, transmission fluid, and differential oil.

Many of these would have to been replaced by this point at that mileage. I don't believe in "lifetime" fluids. My Sky has 73K miles on it, and it was definitely time to change the transmission and differential oils.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
If economy and reliability is what you want .... Get a 1999 Honda Civic or a 2003 Toyota Camary. Go. Go. Leave.

Eh 3-4K for a Redline sounds like a great deal to me.

LIVE. JOIN THE KAPPA CULT!

·
Registered
775 Posts
If economy and reliability is what you want .... Get a 1999 Honda Civic. Go. Go.

Eh 3-4K for a Redline sounds like a great deal to me.
Only the second statement is true. You were probably following Hotcars misinformation to believe the first statement.

·
Registered
16 Posts

found a redline near ish to me with near 220k miles for only 3-4K, and curious wether folks familiar with the platform think this is a steal or a waste of a perfectly Good 4$k.

i understand the monster is in the maintenance (or in some cases lack thereof) but the car seems intact, albeit with a lack of important info on the page. I’m sure I can ask for service records and the like, but my main concern is if 220k is just too much.

many thanks in advance and I’d like to be come a full fledged member of this forum sooner rather than later (with a kappa of my own)

cheers!
I'll sell you my Redline! It has 42K miles and has been garage kept since I bought it new in Houston. I'm in NW Arkansas now. % speed, spoiler, black, black top & interior Give me a shout!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'll sell you my Redline! It has 42K miles and has been garage kept since I bought it new in Houston. I'm in NW Arkansas now. % speed, spoiler, black, black top & interior Give me a shout!
Where were you when I was looking for a fresh car last spring? Lol!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I m a dealer of Saturn R L . My own driver is a R L with 32 K miles hat's the price???

·
Registered
1 Posts

cheers!
Great price. Getting harder to find day by day. jump on it. Worth a new engine if needed still worth it. Love my Red Line

·
Registered
558 Posts
Meh....there's a lot that car needs at 220k if it hasn't been done. If the timing chain or wp hasn't been done, that's the first thing to "save" for....That'll run $2k+. You can get a new motor for $2999...brand new, fresh with an LDK head. The turbo is the next thing to be concerned with. While not terribly expensive, it's still something to think about before it comes apart and destroys the engine. Then you get to suspension. If the suspension hasn't ever been touched, that's $1500 for OE stuff, $2500 for aftermarket stuff...easy. Then there's the transmission and rear end. TBH, I'd take my $4k and put into something else like a Jeep Wrangler. Many of them have an average of 200k on them and parts are cheap and easy to find.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts