Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have everything brand new on my 2009 Sky Redline. NEW Gen 3 block. Upgraded intercoolant, radiator, Stage 3. NEW water-pump and Thermostat.

My Sky redline has less than 500 miles and now I'm finding that every time I take my car out I'm loosing coolant from my reservoir. I check the oil , its good, no leaks anywhere, everything is new. What could be the problem? I was told I may need a higher PSI radiator cap? Never heard of this. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
60k for the water pump to go bad, and around 85,000 when the Engine went bad.. As of right now I've only put 500 miles since the new engine and water pump went in.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Who or what company did the engine/WP/thermostat/radiator install? With less than 500 miles on the new setup there should be some sort of warranty on their work?

Any over heating? No high temps on the DIC? No pulling over to the side of the road? Just the loss of coolant in the recover tank?
How low is the fluid level in the tank from the factory line? Less than, more than a pint?

No visible physical loss of fluid on the ground, on the frame rails of the car? The system might need some minor burping of the system if, there are no high temps with loss of fluid is my guess maybe?

The only thing else is the new radiator, is it standard OEM or other brand?
Larger capacity then the old one that came out? Again with no loss of
real fluid on the ground to see a leak location, or replace a certain volume of coolant to the recovery tank, you might be ok here.

Vacuum any air out of the system, replace any lost coolant, and go for any run then see if any fluid loss happens or high temps show up?

IF you had high temps 225-245 and a major loss of fluid then again who or what company did the new install of parts to your car would be my first phone call.

Since you didn't mention either of these two conditions, after 500 miles of use, once the thermostat opens you see a loss of fluid in the recovery tank. Check the level before you drive it again, then right after you return.

After cool down, top up coolant to factory line in the recovery tank, do another run and see how much you lose, how fast if any temp rise happens?
If that happens then take it back to where the work was performed, and tell them-
" Houston we have a problem."

Luck with it. Tell us what resolved it for you?
LAC

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Do you see coolant on the ground? If so, from where is it leaking?

If there’s no visible coolant leak, but you’re seeing the reservoir low on coolant, that means you had air in the system that is being refilled with the reservoir fluid. Just fill it back up to it’s full line (1/2 tank) and keep an eye on it.

IF you have boiling fluid in the reservoir and that’s where the leak is coming from, it’s either that the thermostat isn’t opening, or your fan isn’t kicking in.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No coolant on the ground. I will take it back and follow up . Im hoping its just air in the system, as thermostat , radiator, everything is brand new. Thank you all for the great help like always

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Dam the water pump on these cars. It’s like the Achilles heel. That and **** for storage but besides IMO it’s the best f-n car in the world. So I dropped 2k new WP, therm, trans fluid, PS fluid, all turn lamps and state inspection. I may as well start with replacing the fan myself. I just wish there was a way to get the heat off the WP from the exhaust manifold. Sure I could do it all myself and save .7-1k but I got ample **** to do besides work on the car. Like this latest one, smart, money, pretty, good fam. Aim high boys, aim high

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good news it looks like it was a radiator cap. I installed a Griffin radiator cap capable up to 24 psi and I no longer leak in the reservoir.

·
Super Moderator
6,122 Posts
Good news it looks like it was a radiator cap. I installed a Griffin radiator cap capable up to 24 psi and I no longer leak in the reservoir.
That is good news. Thanks for passing it on.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I installed a Griffin radiator cap capable up to 24 psi
So that just raised a question for me. I was looking on RockAuto after getting a "closeout parts" email and saw that they had a replacement coolant tank cap rated for 15 PSI. That seemed low to me for our pressurized system.

Anyone know offhand what the coolant tank cap should be rated at?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have everything brand new on my 2009 Sky Redline. NEW Gen 3 block. Upgraded intercoolant, radiator, Stage 3. NEW water-pump and Thermostat.

My Sky redline has less than 500 miles and now I'm finding that every time I take my car out I'm loosing coolant from my reservoir. I check the oil , its good, no leaks anywhere, everything is new. What could be the problem? I was told I may need a higher PSI radiator cap? Never heard of this. Any help will be appreciated.
We bought our sky new in 2008 and the last six years or so, the coolant gets a little low (about one inch) so I top it off. This only happens in the summer it seems. We did store the car for three years not wanting to put miles on it and it developed a bubble from lack of regular driving. So the dealer had to drain the radiator and flush they system as the engine overheated to around 230 or 240 quickly but ever since then, its been fine with regular driving but I still top it off about twice during the summer months.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Sometimes in life it is the little things that makes us smile such as a new radiator cap
on our brand new radiator, which just happens to be hooked up to our new motor, WP & thermostat too just say'n.

Glad to hear it was just that simple of thing higher pressure cap to rescue you & your problems and $ spent so far.
Keep an eye on it as you drive from here on out. Check all fluid levels on a regular basis. Bout to check on mine today.

Couple of things brought up by our owners here that might be of interest to the community. This ? came from Sky_Radster:
I just wish there was a way to get the heat off the WP from the exhaust manifold?
Could this extra heat from the exhaust manifold be part of our WP problems besides the gaskets/seals or fluid degrade over the years?

Flushing the system, vacuuming the air out of the system is vital for normal temps.
Heat is always a killer to any part, let alone the cooling system for engines.
Could wrapping the exhaust manifold with some form of header tape help any here?
IMO it’s the best f-n car in the world. No argument from me there, I agree bang for buck.

TS brought this ? up. Coolant recovery tank cap pressure rating for our cars?
We have seen here a higher rating on the radiator cap solve our OP problem for now.
I never took notice of my recovery tank cap, that it even had a pressure rating.
Gasket seal under the lip, the edge of the recovery tank itself, is it smooth or rough to the touch?
Gonna look at mine later today, can't hurt none to do so.

Scarletredline2008 posted this from lack of regular driving. So the dealer had to drain the radiator and flush they system but ever since then, its been fine with regular driving.
Long term storage can be a problem, with the lack of fluid circulation to seals & gaskets, bearings, rings, gears, any number of vital parts within any engine not just ours, even with our known problems in the WP area.
Turning your car over, getting it up to some operational temps, for oil & coolant, battery/alternator, PS/AT, checking air pressures in your tires, maybe...even mice in your tail pipes?
But the weather outside is frightful, dum de dum not so delightful meaning we are not driving it today, but it does start, all the fluids levels are good, hoping for a quick Spring time so you can exercise the car properly, work the steering joints, let the transmission run through the gears.

In the summer time during high heat, I could see a slight loss of some fluid in the recovery tank. Evaporation and maybe a suspect cap seal might... cause a top off or two during usage to your coolant level, so check it regularly before you turn the key and smile.

LAC

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

A
azredline
Registered

Joined Sep 23, 2014
38 Posts
Discussion Starter • #1 20 d ago

SaveShare
Reply Quote

[IMG alt="Robotech"]https://www.skyroadster.com/d2/avatars/m/2/2542.jpg?1580199802[/IMG]
Robotech
Super Moderator

Joined May 16, 2006
11,315 Posts
#2 20 d ago
How many miles since the engine and water pump went in?

V.A.L. (#1108) - 2007 2.4 NA - SOLD
Max (#1547) - 2007 TURBO 2.4
See my Garage for details.

SaveShare
Reply Quote

A
azredline
Registered

Joined Sep 23, 2014
38 Posts
Discussion Starter • #3 20 d ago
60k for the water pump to go bad, and around 85,000 when the Engine went bad.. As of right now I've only put 500 miles since the new engine and water pump went in.

SaveShare
Reply Quote

[IMG alt="LAC Sky"]https://www.skyroadster.com/d2/avatars/m/18/18570.jpg?1580199803[/IMG]
LAC Sky
Registered

Joined Jul 19, 2013
873 Posts
#4 20 d ago
Who or what company did the engine/WP/thermostat/radiator install? With less than 500 miles on the new setup there should be some sort of warranty on their work?

Any over heating? No high temps on the DIC? No pulling over to the side of the road? Just the loss of coolant in the recover tank?
How low is the fluid level in the tank from the factory line? Less than, more than a pint?

No visible physical loss of fluid on the ground, on the frame rails of the car? The system might need some minor burping of the system if, there are no high temps with loss of fluid is my guess maybe?

The only thing else is the new radiator, is it standard OEM or other brand?
Larger capacity then the old one that came out? Again with no loss of
real fluid on the ground to see a leak location, or replace a certain volume of coolant to the recovery tank, you might be ok here.

Vacuum any air out of the system, replace any lost coolant, and go for any run then see if any fluid loss happens or high temps show up?

IF you had high temps 225-245 and a major loss of fluid then again who or what company did the new install of parts to your car would be my first phone call.

Since you didn't mention either of these two conditions, after 500 miles of use, once the thermostat opens you see a loss of fluid in the recovery tank. Check the level before you drive it again, then right after you return.

After cool down, top up coolant to factory line in the recovery tank, do another run and see how much you lose, how fast if any temp rise happens?
If that happens then take it back to where the work was performed, and tell them-
" Houston we have a problem."

Luck with it. Tell us what resolved it for you?
LAC

Reactions:Super Serg
SaveShare
Reply Quote

S
Super Serg
Premium Member

Joined Jul 31, 2009
245 Posts
#5 20 d ago
Do you see coolant on the ground? If so, from where is it leaking?

If there’s no visible coolant leak, but you’re seeing the reservoir low on coolant, that means you had air in the system that is being refilled with the reservoir fluid. Just fill it back up to it’s full line (1/2 tank) and keep an eye on it.

IF you have boiling fluid in the reservoir and that’s where the leak is coming from, it’s either that the thermostat isn’t opening, or your fan isn’t kicking in.

SaveShare
Reply Quote

A
azredline
Registered

Joined Sep 23, 2014
38 Posts
Discussion Starter • #6 19 d ago
No coolant on the ground. I will take it back and follow up . Im hoping its just air in the system, as thermostat , radiator, everything is brand new. Thank you all for the great help like always

SaveShare
Reply Quote

[IMG alt="SKY_RADSTER"]https://www.skyroadster.com/d2/avatars/m/46/46106.jpg?1597010728[/IMG]
SKY_RADSTER
Premium Member

Joined Sep 23, 2016
72 Posts
#7 15 d ago
Dam the water pump on these cars. It’s like the Achilles heel. That and ** for storage but besides IMO it’s the best f-n car in the world. So I dropped 2k new WP, therm, trans fluid, PS fluid, all turn lamps and state inspection. I may as well start with replacing the fan myself. I just wish there was a way to get the heat off the WP from the exhaust manifold. Sure I could do it all myself and save .7-1k but I got ample ** to do besides work on the car. Like this latest one, smart, money, pretty, good fam. Aim high boys, aim high

Sold 2001 Toyota Solara SLE convertible DWP
Sold 2008 Sky Redline GMPP Silver Pearl
Sold Hyundai Elantra hatchback SWP
DD 2009 Sky Redline Ruby Red SE DDM Brace Bundle Solo Street Performance Exhaust DDM CAI DDM Charge Pipes

SaveShare
Reply Quote

A
azredline
Registered

Joined Sep 23, 2014
38 Posts
Discussion Starter • #8 2 d ago

SaveShare
Reply Quote

[IMG alt="JohnWR"]https://www.skyroadster.com/d2/avatars/m/3/3413.jpg?1580199802[/IMG]
JohnWR
Super Moderator

Joined Aug 27, 2006
6,037 Posts
#9 2 d ago
azredline said:
That is good news. Thanks for passing it on.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked

SaveShare
Reply Quote

[IMG alt="TomatoSoup"]https://www.skyroadster.com/d2/avatars/m/11/11980.jpg?1582579327[/IMG]
TomatoSoup
Registered

Joined Nov 4, 2009
4,118 Posts
#10 2 d ago
azredline said:
I installed a Griffin radiator cap capable up to 24 psi
So that just raised a question for me. I was looking on RockAuto after getting a "closeout parts" email and saw that they had a replacement coolant tank cap rated for 15 PSI. That seemed low to me for our pressurized system.

Anyone know offhand what the coolant tank cap should be rated at?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts