Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was stopped yesterday and the person seemed to know much about the Sky, Solstice, and Lotus. He said that the platform was the same for all three. Anyone know if that is true?

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
lchrisns said:
I was stopped yesterday and the person seemed to know much about the Sky, Solstice, and Lotus. He said that the platform was the same for all three. Anyone know if that is true?
Sky and Solstice are the same under the skin. Both use the Kappa Architecture.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what about the Lotus

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From Lotus to…Saturn?

From Lotus to…Saturn? Opel Plans Sky-based Speedster Replacement
Date posted: 08-09-2005

RUESSELSHEIM, Germany — General Motors' Opel subsidiary here will partner with Saturn on a new two-seater aimed primarily at European enthusiasts. The successor to the Lotus-derived Speedster will be based on the upcoming Saturn Sky.

Opel phased out production of the Speedster in late July, according to Automotive News Europe. The original two-seater was introduced in 2000 and had a total production run of around 7,000 Speedsters.

The new model, which will be assembled in GM's plant in Wilmington, Delaware, will share components and perhaps some body panels with the 2007 Saturn Sky, which in turn is a sister model to the Pontiac Solstice. GM sources say Saab also may get a two-seater off the so-called Kappa platform.

GM executives have said Saturn and Opel will work more closely together in the future on product development.

The front-engine, rear-drive Speedster replacement may be called Opel GT, the name of the tiny sport coupe from the late '60s that resembled a scaled-down version of the Corvette.

What this means to you: Could Saturn get some world-wide buzz? If so, maybe you'll find yourself in one in a few years.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Saturn Sky: GM Makes Good on Threats of Hotness
READ MORE: News, new cars
We admit, we’ve been secretly chortling away as everyone in town (ok, not everyone) was telling us how Saturn was the GM division to watch. “Not gonna happen,” we said. Even Bob Lutz himself told us the company would make the no-brainer business decision to build on the goodwill among customers Saturn enjoys; GM would have to be batsh*t insane not to. So why didn’t we listen when we knew we’d eventually see a car like the Saturn Sky come out of a Detroit central-planning office. Saturn, you fools, don’t make us love you. We’ll only break your heart

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,570 Posts
No, the Lotus platform has nothing to do with the Opel version except for being the old chassis. The Saturn, Pontiac and new Opel all share... as that 1st article you posted states.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
the Kappa is SKY, Opel and Solstice, and may be a down sized vett in the future but not Lotus....Seal9

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Yes, but did he really look at the car...at the end he wrote $30 to $35 with nice stuff, the SKY is 26-27 loaded. the hump in the trunk is also where the gas tank is, if the car cost $35 I would expect a better dash, but that’s $8,000 more that I will pay for my SKY. I can do allot of personal upgrades for that....and my wife has no problem with the top, his girl need to work out more if she can't latch it.....Seal9:cheers:

·
Registered
422 Posts
The Opel Speedster has nothing to do with the Opel GT besides the character being a roadster. Both are not Opel! The Speedster is a longer Lotus Elise platform combined with Opel powertrain as an rear-mid-engine. Opel started in the year 2000 with the natural aspirated 2.2 litre Ecotec engine and added later the 2.0 litre Ecotec turbo engine. Opel's target was to sell max 10.000 units in max 3 years. They didn't reach it. This car is to naked, not to use as an all day driver, only a toy just for fun. In 2005 Opel decided to stop poduction after 5 years and low than 7000 produced units. There are not sold all, you can buy "new" Speedsters in Germany today.
The Opel GT ist not an Opel at all besides of the engine basis and the badges. The engine is based on the 2.0 litre Turbo out of 1992 with the 84x84 mm bore/stroke. This engine runs in different Opel cars in the range between 170 and 240 HP. The first offerd was the 204 HP in the Opel Calibra (2 + 2 seater Coupe) in 1992.

Nico

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Opel Speedster & Vauxhall VX220 == Lotus Elise platform

Solstice, Sky, Opel GT, and the new Daewoo == Kappa platform

Kappa platform == completely built from scratch in the US of A with ZERO input from Lotus.

·
Registered
554 Posts
brentil said:
Opel Speedster & Vauxhall VX220 == Lotus Elise platform

Solstice, Sky, Opel GT, and the new Daewoo == Kappa platform

Kappa platform == completely built from scratch in the US of A with ZERO input from Lotus.
And the Lotus engineers are really pissed about it too!

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
brentil said:
the new Daewoo == Kappa platform
Daewoo is doing something with the Kappa architecture? Pictures please!:cheers:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,570 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts