Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found out the hard way today just how horrible the stock Goodyear donuts are. Here in Ohio we tend to get a spot of snow and slick conditions. This results is plenty of salt residue on the roads. For the past week or so I've had to feather the throttle starting on any road that had the slightest trace of salt residue, otherwise the rear end would break loose. This morning I found a slick spot on the freeway while slowly accelerating. After doing a lovely 180 across two lanes and kissed the guardrail. Scratch one Sky. I was doing all of 35 and the roads were clear. Around here people think it's proper to enter the xway at 35 instead of the posted speed.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,875 Posts
I beleive the stock tires are summer tires.
In summer warmth they soften up and are extra sticky like gum on a road, but in cold they harden like a frozen hockey puck and lose traction.

Its crazy to have to put out the extra expense, but some have immediately switched to all-season tires

Would've been nice for Saturn to have offered us a choice!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Don't know what gomer has(RL or base), but the stock RL tires are all season, but their still crap

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,875 Posts
Don't know what gomer has(RL or base), but the stock RL tires are all season, but their still crap

Kwayne... I googled the tire... and several sites state the stock tires are Summer tires
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-2

The Eagle F1 GS-2 is Goodyear’s Ultra High Performance Summer radial developed for Original Equipment (O.E.) use on the Pontiac Solstice GXP and Saturn Sky Red Line sports cars.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Best tire for you would be the Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season!

Do a comparison and you will agree for water, snow, dry traction, to prevent hydroplaning, great handling, cornering and ride comfort.

It is a new design I think. The tire pattern is nice but not as sexy as the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-3 ... but it is a tire you should consider.

Happy trails. :driving:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the base Sky. The standard tires aren't really worth crap in August in Arabia. Sure, it corners better than my Intrepid, but it also weighs 1,000 pounds less and has a lower center of gravity. I love the bugger but those Goodyears stink in hot and cold weather. Even after dring a hour or so at 70+ they're slick as snot on door knob. Once the ol' batsky gets out of the shop I think I'll take Saturn up on its offer to replace the stinkers.
Yup, I complained to Saturn and they offered to pro rate replacements Kind of what I did over the screeching A/C compressor. Extended warranty and refund of expenses.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Wow, I have found the tires to be quite nice so far. I get great traction rain and shine. Don't have much ice down here in Houston. I was even thinking of getting another set wheels and putting some fatty Drag radials on the back for the track and autocross.

Did you have traction control on when you were having these problems?

Edit: Nevermind maybe the base has different tires.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Late follow-up. When I first posted about the Goodyears, Goodyear had the Eagle RA-A tires on its own web site rated, on a 1 - 10 scale, as Wet = 5, Snow = 2. The ratings have been changed to 7 for each. I just hast have the anti-lock. What scares me is my wife has the same tires on her new Toyota Matrix and even she can break them loose. That's really sad.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Late follow-up. When I first posted about the Goodyears, Goodyear had the Eagle RA-A tires on its own web site rated, on a 1 - 10 scale, as Wet = 5, Snow = 2. The ratings have been changed to 7 for each. I just hast have the anti-lock. What scares me is my wife has the same tires on her new Toyota Matrix and even she can break them loose. That's really sad.
They are crazy if they think they are a 7. Wet traction for the RSA is a 2 and i dont even want to know how they'll be in the snow. The stock tires are CRAP!!!

·
Registered
997 Posts
They are crazy if they think they are a 7. Wet traction for the RSA is a 2 and i dont even want to know how they'll be in the snow. The stock tires are CRAP!!!
For snow and rain, yes. They are basically summer only tires. Even Saturn in their advertising material stated the car is not intended for snow conditions.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
The car simply should never be driven in rain or snow. You need to use a SUV for that. C'MON! :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Well, some of you will probably flame me for this, but I had my sky out and about in TS Hanna last saturday. This car is way better than the Civic, and among the better vehicles I've driven in the rain. (haven't driven a SUV yet) As long as you don't do something stupid and take things easy it should be fine in the rain.

·
Super Moderator
5,274 Posts
I've been reading this thread and looking at the cars each of you has ...
You do realize that you are discussing two completely different tires. Don't you ?

·
Registered
945 Posts
this is an RSA....it is an OE level all season usage tire

this is the F1-GS2...a summer only

the is the top end F1 GS-D3 also summer only

this is the F-1 all season

you may also wish to look at the direzza...another all season tire

remember....the OEM tire is designed for all purpose usage....i.e. the way the general public drives

If you are going to shift at 5K instead of 2500...you need to upgrade

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
I'm honestly scared of the tires on this car compared to tires on any other I had... I know alot of it might be all the rear problems... but here in Florida when it has rained or going to rain I literally tense up thinking about driving her in the rain or post rain I ALWAYS slide... (yes they are at proper inflation etc). UGGG!

When we get back from Key West if I decide to keep her I think it'll be time for a tire swap.

·
Registered
254 Posts
When I got the loaner from the dealership last week(an 2007 base sky)it rained one day while I had it and the car was loosy goosy and i was driving normally. The tires on my redline are much better in the rain than the base model! Go figure! Haven't had any issues in the rain.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
this is an RSA....it is an OE level all season usage tire

I checked and I have these on my Sky and they positively suck with any amount of water on the road. I was on the Penn. Turnpike cruising along at sixty five and when I hit a patch of wet road. All that was lacking was the radio playing the skaters waltz. Everyone else must have thought I was nuts fishtailing all over the road. Scared the crap out of me and anyone else close to me. And I thought Tony Stewart was being a little harsh with Goodyear about their tires. I never take my Sky out anymore if It even hints of rain. :nono:

1 - 20 of 112 Posts