·
Registered
945 Posts
could have either application

i.e. if you are looking for a summer performance tire

go with the F1 GS D3

the originaL DIREZZA Z101 is also quite good

if you want an All-Season go with the F1 All Season

we classify the Star Spec as ULTRA HIGH PERFORMANCE !!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
best you read the initial post...taking a curve on an on-ramp at 20-25 is not a heavy foot
I don't have the RSA's, I have the stock GXP tires and I've seen complaints about those as well and never thought they were as bad as most were saying. I did have my first incident last weekend when the backend came out going around an on ramp and I wasn't pushing the car at all...I found it odd since I pushed it way more in wet and snowy conditions but nothing bad came from it. I drove it all last winter and like any other car, as long as you drove it accordingly for conditions it was fine. This will hopefully be it's last winter but not because I don't think it can't handle the snow.

Also, has anyone noticed the rear will break free if you hit a bump on a curve? Dry pavement? It's not a lot, but just a little loose. My camaro does it as well. I'd hate to go around that same curve here in town if it was wet. :eek:
I have this happen every time I head down to Romeoville on one of the off ramps. I've been in other sports cars that do the same thing and my Dad said his vette did that as well so it must just be the nature of a performance car. In the rain i usually let up on the gas and it gets traction back pretty quick.

·
Registered
255 Posts
The Eagle F1 GS-2 is Goodyear’s Ultra High Performance Summer radial developed for Original Equipment (O.E.) use on the Pontiac Solstice GXP and Saturn Sky Red Line sports cars.[/QUOTE]
Good investigating. The base Sky has all seasons the RL "high performance" AS THE MAN SAID. The tires on the car are doing if you are good with the pedal, but not fun.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Changes have been made since drivers complained last spring at Atlanta track

By Charles Krall
Special to the Sporting News
NASCAR Wire Service

Published on Saturday, Oct 25, 2008

In real estate, it's location, location, location.

At Atlanta Motor Speedway, it's tires, tires, tires.

That was a story the last time the Sprint Cup series came to town, clouding Toyota's first win in a Cup points race and a 22-year-old named Kyle Busch getting his first victory for Joe Gibbs Racing.

How bad were the tires? ''Pathetic,'' snapped frequent Goodyear critic Tony Stewart.

Atlanta is a fast track that provides drivers multiple lines to race. And since its reconfiguration in 1997, it has hosted some of the most thrilling photo finishes in NASCAR history.

But the last time the Sprint Cup Series visited Atlanta, the difficulty teams had making the Goodyear tires work with the new-style race car was an issue.

''I felt like I was going to crash every single lap,'' Jeff Gordon said after the race. ''This car, this tire, at this track was just terrible.''

That was seven months ago, and a lot has changed, including seven more wins for Busch, who participated in a recent tire test at the track in preparation for Sunday's Pep Boys Auto 500.

''The tire test went OK,'' Busch said. ''We seemed to get a little bit better tire, and I'm now going to go out and say that it wasn't Goodyear's fault for the spring race. Yeah, we got a better tire now than what we had in the spring, but the tire is only going to be better for eight or 10 laps.''

Goodyear is providing new right-side tires this week; the left-side tires will be the same as the ones used in March.

''The car just doesn't have the amount of downforce it needs to run around that track,'' Busch said. ''It's going to be a tough race again, same as what it was there in the spring. Not a whole lot different. Just a little bit more comfortable for eight laps instead of just one lap.''

Points leader Jimmie Johnson finished 13th in March, one of two finishes outside the top 10 in his past 10 starts at Atlanta. He had won the previous two races at the 1.54-mile track and has three wins overall.

He says the car-tire combination at Atlanta will make it a challenging day.

''Atlanta is one of the more technical and difficult tracks to sort out with this Car of Tomorrow,'' Johnson said. ''There are a lot of swells in the track. . . . It makes the car feel inconsistent. So I think the end result is going to be a lot of cars slipping and sliding and a good show for the fans.''

Johnson leads Greg Biffle by 149 points and is four races from joining Cale Yarborough as the only drivers to win three titles in a row. But Johnson isn't ready to look that far into the future just yet.

''You just don't know what's going to happen,'' Johnson said. ''We were able to go to Martinsville and deliver like history has shown. But you can't count on that stuff. That's why they run the race. It's 500 miles at Atlanta. So much can happen. Our track record shows that we've done well, and we feel like we're going to do well. But we've still got to get out there and do the job. That's the tough part.''

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
That doesn't mean anything for those of us with RSAa or F1 GS2s.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I found out the hard way today just how horrible the stock Goodyear donuts are. Here in Ohio we tend to get a spot of snow and slick conditions. This results is plenty of salt residue on the roads. For the past week or so I've had to feather the throttle starting on any road that had the slightest trace of salt residue, otherwise the rear end would break loose. This morning I found a slick spot on the freeway while slowly accelerating. After doing a lovely 180 across two lanes and kissed the guardrail. Scratch one Sky. I was doing all of 35 and the roads were clear. Around here people think it's proper to enter the xway at 35 instead of the posted speed.
Am going to replace the tires on my RL, looking at summer tires, the only time it's on the road. The tires I am looking at are Nittos.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
66 Posts
Never understand what people have against posting in an old thread. Posting in a 12 year old thread is perfectly ok I would say.

Am going to replace the tires on my RL, looking at summer tires, the only time it's on the road. The tires I am looking at are Nittos.
I went for Michelin Pilot Super Sports. World of difference. I recommend them 100% in case you are looking for a summer tire with good wet performance ( thought the stock tires were kind of dangerous on a wet road)

Be aware that in many countries the Michelin Pilot Super Sport has been superseded by the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S

Road & Track review --> Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S: The Race Car Driver Review

·
Registered
14 Posts
Tire replacement is important, any tires 6 to 8 years old, even though they looks fine, should consider being replaced.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Never understand what people have against posting in an old thread. Posting in a 12 year old thread is perfectly ok I would say.

I went for Michelin Pilot Super Sports. World of difference. I recommend them 100% in case you are looking for a summer tire with good wet performance ( thought the stock tires were kind of dangerous on a wet road)

Be aware that in many countries the Michelin Pilot Super Sport has been superseded by the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S

Road & Track review --> Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S: The Race Car Driver Review
Why? This thread is a relevent today as it was then. Better to re-open an old one than start a new one about the same thing.
You are right.

101 - 112 of 112 Posts