Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:banghead: Does anyone have a easy way of removing love bugs off your vehicle, besides not driving it for another couple of weeks? :willy: Skybaby is safe in the garage but the daily driver Impala is covered, most windshield cleaner does not take them off the windshield without lots of elbow grease! :brentil: I really :mad: this season and those love bugs, nasty insects. Why of why must paradise have such horrible bugs like fire ants and love bugs? :rolleyes:

Tulsasky
:jester:

·
7,042 Posts
The idea is to drive around and kill as many as you can before they head up to my area... :D
I just swatted my first love bug this afternoon, here they come! :willy:

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Let them stay up there, we don't need 'em...:willy:

To answer your question,
Does anyone have a easy way of removing love bugs off your vehicle
, as a matter of fact I do... Wash the car the same day the critters splatter themselves on your glass/finish.. Tar remover is also very effective once dried out you are SOL.. Wash wash and wash until they be gone.. Keep a solid wax or polish job on the finish, easier to clean off.. Other than that keep wasting them up thar, if I'm lucky yawl will kill them all before they migrate south.. no signs of 'em about yet..

BTW, I exterminated all fire ants from my property years ago...:D

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
An ounce of prevention: Spray some "Pam" cooking oil spray on the front of your car. prolly not a good idea for the WS, but supposed to work really well on body panels and bumper. Makes them easy to wash off.

Yogi

·
Premium Member
4,170 Posts
Move to Colorado. Worked for me. We kill off all the bugs in the mobile phase starting in about November. When it hits -20 in January, any that are left are lumps of dead cells.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Didn't you read the name of the thread...they fly together and copulate therefore the name.
Really a stupid ph***ing reply, your assumption that everyone knows where these bugs call home and what they look like or for that matter do, really proves to many members that, most of your posts are not worth the ones and zeroes used to publish your diatribe. Man give it a rest for the sake of your reputation, because right now, you sir, may have been respected in the first few years of this forum, but now, proving to be a real idiot and scourge of this site.

As an aside, here on the west coast of Canada, bugs of any kind are not that much of a problem. I know when I clean the front of the 5th wheel, I keep a good coat of wax on it and usually use some detailing spray and a Bounce sheet to get them off. I won't try this on the Sky, but just thought I would throw this hack out there.:D

·
Registered
854 Posts
Bugs and the bumper. Spent a few hours of my life cleaning them off. Clean the windshield and first ride out... splat. Happens. Had bird feathers in my grill the other day. A low flying inbound intruder. Lock on. Fire. Got him splash one bandit. Bird poop, tar, tree sap, stone chips, yes bugs, comes with the territory of owning a car or truck. Got an RV? Pain in the ass, lot of surface area for those that " stick on". Motorcycle? Forget the bike, the face shield with tear off strips. Power wash, rinse , repeat. Bug and Tar remover. Buff. Wax & polish. Detail spray and wipe. Until the next round. Elbow grease and plenty of it. By hand or machine, no matter what you use, they will find a way to leave an impression on your car somewhere. Cover your car in " Glad Cling Wrap " and peel off the old layer after every drive. Replace as needed. Invest in stock options now. The bug preventer by GLAD. Who would have thought that.

LAC

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts

Who's the male and who's the female? This is about how they look like just before they splatter your windshield...:eek:

This is what you get if you fly through a "thick" storm of them...

:willy::nono: Nasty critters, just as bad as palmetto bugs, only those are "bigger and juicier".. And a MF to get that shyt off your precious wheels, oh yea.. can yawl read that semi's tag brother?:skep:
heck dat don't even include all da oder critters we gave a ride to, like dragon flies...

·
Registered
217 Posts
Wow! Nasty is a nice word, I've never seen a vehicle pass through bugs like that. Kind of the thing that you sure don't want happen while riding your hog! :eek:

·
Premium Member
5,298 Posts
I think they are specific to the Florida area. I lived in South Carolina and do not remember them. Had a new 69 Mach 1 then and would have noticed them on the car for sure. Yellow and black, yellow is a magnet for bugs, any and all.

There only there for awhile correct? Not all summer, just the spring. I remember driving through Arizona one time and the Monarch butterflies were traveling across the state. It was like an orange blanket. What a mess they made.:mad:

·
Registered
728 Posts
Worked out of Brunswick GA till yesterday. Ships that bring in our cars are not docking in Jacksonville Fl. Ya these lovely critters are a fla thing. During the match we got a week or so in Brunswick we seen some but nothing like Fla sees.
I've never really had to run in them that much, suppose that is going to change now but I've heard the guys talk and they say they have some type of acid in them that will screw up a paint job. Don't know for sure but they sure do make a mess of things when their active.

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
I once drove through a swarm of honey bees,... had to drive to the next fuel stop leaning out the window to see. And one time in southern New Mexico I drove on top of a miles long carpet of migrating Tarantulas, only way to stay on the road was to watch for side markers on the roadway. And DO NOT hit the breaks! They are juicy little bastards and offer ZERO traction! :willy: :eek:

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I think they are specific to the Florida area. I lived in South Carolina and do not remember them. Had a new 69 Mach 1 then and would have noticed them on the car for sure. Yellow and black, yellow is a magnet for bugs, any and all.

There only there for awhile correct? Not all summer, just the spring. I remember driving through Arizona one time and the Monarch butterflies were traveling across the state. It was like an orange blanket. What a mess they made.:mad:
We also have them here in Texas, but mostly in the rural areas, like East Texas. Don't see them in the Houston area.

Yogi

1 - 20 of 33 Posts