Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, i saw the SKY and fell in love with her immediately. i m gonna be getting one once they are released. anyway, i do have a few questions about the car though. for those of you who have seen the car in person, what is your opinion about the position of the motor? is it located to far forward or it it placed further back so that it has room for possible items like an IC in the front. i really dont know yet what my motor mod plans are, but if i went forced induction, i wanna know that i wont have to worry about room for an IC. next, will the sky, have a strut tower brace up front and in the rear? from the pix i have seen i have yet to see anything uner the hood so i have no idea. the motor is a 2.4, but is this the first time it will be used? has this 2.4 liter been placed in any other GM models aside from the solstice and SKY? all pics so far have shown the sky with leather, is this standard or will it be optional. if its optional, will it have cloth seats or a leatherette type of material? its alot of questions but i wanna have all the info possible before i roll home with her. lastly, any info on the lug pattern for rims. the 18's are nice but not my style. i wanna know what i have to look 4 as far as lug pattern when i order some.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Angelqute1 said:
Skyster, I recommend that you surf this site as a lot of these questions have already been addressed.

The bolt pattern for the Sol is 5x110 with a 55mm offset. I assume it will prolly be the same for the Sky, but who knows. As for everything else, take Angel's :rolleyes: advise and do a little surfing. Won't take much effort to get up to speed. :cool:

·
Registered
185 Posts
We expect the Sky Redline to have an intercooled turbocharged 2.2 L powerplant. You may not have to add that via aftermarket if you buy a Redline. If you want to go the do it yourself route, I guess you can study how they do it in the Redline for ideas for your own set up.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
The Solstice was the first advertised use of the 2.4L VVT ECOTEC. However you can now go buy a G6, HHR, Cobalt SS, or ION with the engine.

The engine is placed to give the car a 52/48 weight distribution. Which is about the same as the new MX-5.

Wheels are 245/45 x 18 with 5x110 bolt pattern with 55 offset as stated. Whichs means not much in the way of wheel selection so far.

Without any significant structural changes the pics of the Turbochaged engine appear to fit in this frame structure. It's rumored to provice about ~250HP. The Solstice front fascia has to be modified as we've seen in spy photos to accept the fairly large intercooler. We're not sure about the Sky yet.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanx for the info about the wheel offset and what not. i did find the answers to the other stuff. i do got one more question though. the motor being used is the 2.4 ecotec rite? is the 2.4 almost the same as teh 2.2? what i mean by that is, did they make the bore larger, or did the make the rods longer for that little extra displacement? reason i ask is because i honestly do feel that this motor will do 220 easy in all motor trim. no reason it cant to be honest. its a healthy 2.4 liter, DOHC, and like many factory build motors, leaves much to be desired as far as HP goes. what they say it does, isnt exactly what it CAN do if that makes any sense. before i got my dub i was an all motor nut with my honda and all motor was a much more respected way to go because anyone can slap a turbo or supercharger onto almost any motor. props came by the dozens when you get power doing it all motor, and i used a 2.2 prelude motor for my task and she was close to 210. you can call me optomistic but i do see someone breaking 220 on an all motor trim. if parts are interchangeable from any performance parts on the 2.2 then MAYBE its possible to swap those same parts to a 2.4. assuming that is that all that changed was the stroke. im not saying it can be done, i just think its possible is all. i wanna go all motor because i want the SKY now, and i dont feel like spending the $$$ or waiting the time for the RL. which will prob kick ass tho.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so there is a slite differance in teh bore and stroke. got it now. what do you think of my assumption about her being able to put out that much?

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
The 2.4L VVT ECOTEC is a combination of technologies from the 2.2L ECOTEC and the 2.0L SC ECOTEC. It has a larger displacement then the 2.2L along with a much higher CR of 10.4:1.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
for a 2.4 170 is very conservative. i know for a fact that if the factrory really wanted teh SKY to be a killer it could easily make 190 to 200 HP. im sure a little tinkering with the AF and timing and you prob could get close to that if not maybe even pass it. supposedly the ecotec is turning into quite the killer so i dont see the extra HP causing any harm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts