Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my car about 5-6 weeks now. Using 91 Octane, CA Emissions, and do about 70% highway, 30% city driving.

System is telling me my average gas mileage is around 17mpg which seems really low with that much highway driving.

Have reset my MPG while on highway using cruise control and driven 20 miles straight...best mileage was around 22.

According to the sticker it says 20 city, 28 highway... Not even close. Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks,

D

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
That sounds too low. I get around 28 mpg on the highway. CA driving, 91 octane.
Does the DIC reading square up with manual calculations based on miles driven per x gallons at fillup?
May want to have the dealer look into that.

·
Registered
351 Posts
The problem may be with your DIC. I would take it to the Saturn dealer for a diagnostic check.
Try doing the math on your next fill-up and see what you get.
I've had my sky for about the same time as you and I got 22.52 mpg on my last tank. My DIC only registered 21 mpg. BTW I use 87 octane. 50% city 50% Hwy driving.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Four things:
1)Around 12-1500 miles the motor will lossen up and MPG will improve.
2)First oil change, change to synthetic, then change per the DIC
3)If your area sells gas with 10% ethanol you'll loose 1-2mpg Vs full strength.
4)Lighten up on the right foot :D

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,287 Posts
Me too

SlySky said:
Four things:
1)
2)
3)
4)Lighten up on the right foot :D
That is what I have found that works best for me.
Keep the RPM's near 2000 and the milage improves.

·
Registered
325 Posts
How high are you?:D .. What's your altitude?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Yep, I've noticed my gas mileage sucks, too. :mad: We've had the car 4 weeks now and it's still showing 17mpg...even after a reset of fuel economy on the DIC. We mainly do city driving, but I still think it should be even a tad bit higher...don't they say it's 20mpg city/28mpg highway? We only use 93 octane and no leadfooting here. What could be the problem?

·
Registered
277 Posts
DIC on my car reads an average of 24 to 25 mpg for me with about 50 highway/50 city. I do rev the engine to 3-4 rpm at times.

·
Registered
421 Posts
nscrbug said:
Yep, I've noticed my gas mileage sucks, too. :mad: We've had the car 4 weeks now and it's still showing 17mpg...even after a reset of fuel economy on the DIC. We mainly do city driving, but I still think it should be even a tad bit higher...don't they say it's 20mpg city/28mpg highway? We only use 93 octane and no leadfooting here. What could be the problem?
I'm getting just under 19mpg on my last tank. I do about 70% city and since reading about keeping rpm at or under 2000 rpm I've kept it there 90% of the time or better. The gas is 91 Octane with 10% ethanol. Only have 590 mi so it could be the breakin issue. It's not a "green" car by any stretch but I'm not complaining.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Averaging 22 plus

I mostly do city driving with my foot in it, pushing her thru the gears. I have been averaging 22.7 mpg on 91 octane. I think there is something wrong if you are only getting 17 mpg.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
nscrbug said:
In mostly-city-driving, your engine spends a good deal of the time doing two things that get really bad MPG 1) idling and 2) accelerating. In my wife's car, which calculates mileage pretty much in real time, I can sit at a stop light and watch the MPG drop by .1 every few seconds that the car is sitting at idle. Running your A/C will also pull down MPG and I'm pretty sure they don't figure that into the EPA estimates.

Take a look at the DIC and check out your Average Speed. I'll bet it's probably around 15 miles per hour.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
You see if you drive carefully and do all the RIGHT stuff the mileage (try resetting the DIC while on the expressway) will zoom up! While resetting the DIC one day at 65 MPH I was getting 37 MPG!! Ave Speed -- 67 MPH. As soon as I exited and pulled up to a stoplight down, down, down.:willy:
Now my commute to work is 10 miles each way - it is suburban streets fair amount of stoplights but easily 1/2 with speed limits of 40mph and higher.
I average 19-23 MPG and 27-37 MPH.:thumbs:
If I "cruise" down the Main Street (Oak Park) -- I have seen 11-mpg/15 mph!:willy:

The lower your Average MPH is the lower your MPG, for a large extent. Time waiting at a light will knock 2-3 mph off easily!

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I'm averaging between 25 and 27 mpg. I use 94 octane my driving habit are mostly country runs.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I do virtually all city driving and average 24-25mpg, I have 3400 miles acumulated and switched to Mobil 1 at 1000mi. I split my gas between 91 and 89.

·
Registered
230 Posts
18-20mpg

same deal here in CA, 70% freeway-

i am getting 18-20mpg, but i am driving this thing a little harder than i would my SUV or other car....

must be the stuff in the trunk....

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
ECM reset

I am getting 26.8, but it did drop to 21, I undid the Neg battery terminal for 25 min to clear the computer and after the mileage was back to 26 mpg. you might try the ECM reset....Seal9:cheers:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Have you all read the small print on the car sticker? Quote:

ACTUAL MILEAGE:
"Will vary with options, driving conditions, driving habits and vehicle's condition. Results reported to EPA indicate that the majority of vehicles with these estimates will achieve between 17 and 23 mpg in the city and between17 and 23 mpg in the city and between 23 and 33 mpg on the highway".

1 - 20 of 26 Posts