Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the SKY have the low tire indicator technology? This technology tells you when you have a low tire. If it has it, how does it work?:confused:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
ILVMYGT said:
Does the SKY have the low tire indicator technology? This technology tells you when you have a low tire. If it has it, how does it work?:confused:
Not that I know of, it is not on the list of any equipment it has .
on other cars they have a pressure sensor inside the tire that transmits a signal when the pressure drops to a dangerous level... the computer then senses the signal and give you the warning... Now I think that the government is wanting all cars to have them standard in the future.... I just wonder what the range is of the transmitters, what if someone pulls up next to you in a similar car with low tire pressure, will your car pick it up and signal you? LOL that would be funny...

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
ILVMYGT said:
Does the SKY have the low tire indicator technology?
I've always found the deterioration of handling (and perhaps strange noises) to be good indicators of low tire pressure. Low tech, but it's a good idea to be familiar with the normal "feel" of your ride. :jester:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
ggccg said:
I've always found the deterioration of handling (and perhaps strange noises) to be good indicators of low tire pressure. Low tech, but it's a good idea to be familiar with the normal "feel" of your ride. :jester:
how about just manually checking the air pressures a couple times a month...and a visual inspection every day, that has always worked for me...

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
CarJunkie said:
I believe it's a federal mandate for 2007 cars to have them.
I think it is being Phased in over a couple years, Starting january 2007...
Right now ALL cars with run flat tires have to have some kind of pressure sensor, even if you put them on as an aftermarket thing...
I just found these online if you worry about your tire pressures, this makes it easy to spot a low tire...
http://www.smart-traveler.info/accu_pressure_safety_caps.html

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
I think it is being Phased in over a couple years, Starting january 2007...
Right now ALL cars with run flat tires have to have some kind of pressure sensor, even if you put them on as an aftermarket thing...
I just found these online if you worry about your tire pressures, this makes it easy to spot a low tire...
http://www.smart-traveler.info/accu_pressure_safety_caps.html
This is true about run-flat tires... because:
ggccg said:
I've always found the deterioration of handling (and perhaps strange noises) to be good indicators of low tire pressure. Low tech, but it's a good idea to be familiar with the normal "feel" of your ride :jester:
doesn't really work. You have to be VERY flat, as much as 50% or less of placard pressure before you MIGHT feel a run-flat running... well, ah... flat. IOW, you have to be VERY flat for a run-flat to affect handling to the point where you begin to notice it.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
KappaMan said:
You have to be VERY flat, as much as 50% or less of placard pressure before you MIGHT feel a run-flat running... well, ah... flat. IOW, you have to be VERY flat for a run-flat to affect handling to the point where you begin to notice it.
Where did run-flat tires come into this? Are you saying that the Sky comes with run-flats?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
ggccg said:
Where did run-flat tires come into this? Are you saying that the Sky comes with run-flats?
no the question was about low pressure sensors on the Sky and I stated that cars with runflats have to have them. The Sky does not come with run flats, If you are going to install run flats on your car you will need some kind of pressure sensor...

·
Registered
76 Posts
You are right, there is not an indicator warning or run flat tires on the car. But you do get 1-8oo roadside assistance with the car, and the inflator and the goo sealant which is in the trunk.

I can also tell you that the cars are shipped from the factory with 32 - 35 psi in the tires. SolSticeMan on the other forum (also is said to be Mr. Bob Lutz and more than likely KappaMan on this forum is one and the same) told me the day after I got my car to check the air pressure and make sure they are at 29psi. The steering felt like a go cart. When I checked the pressure one front tire was 32 and the other 35, and the rear was both 32. I changed them to 29psi all around, it was like day and night. So go out and buy a really good tire pressure guage ($20 plus) and check the air often, mine have gone down in the cool weather.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
SolSky_Designs said:
When I checked the pressure one front tire was 32 and the other 35, and the rear was both 32. I changed them to 29psi all around, it was like day and night.
Exactly my point. When you know what your car is supposed to feel like, you know when the tire pressure isn't right. Two or three pounds can make a significant difference in handling as SolSky_Designs attests to.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Tire Pressure

In the owners manual is the tire pressure stats, also if I remember right it is in the glove box too. Buy a guage from Wal-Mart. Check at least once a week. Tires go down with cold weather and up with warm weather. The most impotant thing is tire pressure and missing as many potholes as you can.:D :cool: Skip...

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have this on my Nissan Titan. Useless little gizmo that runs the price up. (mo)
A little icon of a flat tire lights in the dash like the gas pump icon for low fuel. You will still need to know the difference between a properly & an improperly inflated tire. It doesn't say which one has the prob. My truck has the sat nav so I can go to a screen and it will say the pressure in each tire. Cooler still, but it doesn't say which one has the weak wrist either. I liked the five spoke factory wheels on the SE's better than the six spokes on the LE's. So I bought a set of pulloffs on Ebay never switched the sensors over. They are in the valve stems. That should indicate how useful it's been to me. I work construction though, flats are part of the program. Just keep an Ion your tires. & get good with that foot. I'd take a good tire guage I can trust over this gizmo any day. Good luck finding one of those by the way. Hopfully you will allways have your foot with you.
The sat nav has been a cool thing though. Many a time I've come up to a light with a longass line. Oh look! That road to the right will go through. When my turn comes up to get a Sky. I'll be putting in it. I'd rather be zig zaging my happyass through those neighborhood streets scaring all the kiddys. Sitting at a light baking in the summer sun isn't part of the dream. Plus I see alot of aimless driving with no perticular place to go. Sooner or later I'll have to get her back in the barn.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
SolSky_Designs said:
... SolsticeMan on the other forum (also is said to be Mr. Bob Lutz and more than likely KappaMan on this forum is one and the same) ....
SolSky_Designs... let's not go starting rumors...

Yes, S-man and K-man are the same.

NO, I am NOT Bob Lutz.

Let me repeat:

I... AM.... NOT ... BOB.... LUTZ..... :lol: :thumbs:

I don't want to have to add a link to my signature here, too... :willy:

I can tell you this: I have met Bob Lutz. Actually shook his hand and talked to him and exchanged sentences and everything. Even inhaled his 2nd hand cigar smoke... (ok, that's prolly too much information...).

So, imagine my surprise when I hear that he declared himself NOT to be me at the Solstice First-Delivery-Party at the Renaissance Center in Detroit on August 5.

And, ah, NO, Bob does NOT know the true identity of s-man/k-man. :D

I'd like to keep it that way for now. :cheers:

Maybe someday, way in the future, but definitely not now...

PS; this is not really revealing information, Bob meets hundreds of people every day. It's like saying "I was introduced to Arnold Swarzenegger once... ".

·
Registered
76 Posts
Skip said:
In the owners manual is the tire pressure stats, also if I remember right it is in the glove box too. Buy a guage from Wal-Mart. Check at least once a week. Tires go down with cold weather and up with warm weather. The most impotant thing is tire pressure and missing as many potholes as you can.:D :cool: Skip...
It does not have it in glove box. There is a sticker on the drivers side door when you open it up. And also has a sticker of the factory where the car is made. Mine came from wilmington. Also it has max occupant and cargo load of 353 lbs. on the sticker also.

·
Registered
76 Posts
KappaMan said:
SolSky_Designs... let's not go starting rumors...

Yes, S-man and K-man are the same.

NO, I am NOT Bob Lutz.

Let me repeat:

I... AM.... NOT ... BOB.... LUTZ..... :lol: :thumbs:

I don't want to have to add a link to my signature here, too... :willy:

I can tell you this: I have met Bob Lutz. Actually shook his hand and talked to him and exchanged sentences and everything. Even inhaled his 2nd hand cigar smoke... (ok, that's prolly too much information...).

So, imagine my surprise when I hear that he declared himself NOT to be me at the Solstice First-Delivery-Party at the Renaissance Center in Detroit on August 5.

And, ah, NO, Bob does NOT know the true identity of s-man/k-man. :D

I'd like to keep it that way for now. :cheers:

Maybe someday, way in the future, but definitely not now...

PS; this is not really revealing information, Bob meets hundreds of people every day. It's like saying "I was introduced to Arnold Swarzenegger once... ".

That's a knee slapper!! Tell that story to RODEO.:willy:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts