Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this as a response on another thread but it wasn’t very well organized...

As we begin to see those around us grabbing their Skys off of dealer lots there seems to be a discrepancy between delivery dates in comparison to build dates and there is clearly as large gap forming for those of us who were included as one of the first orders/builds.

There are a substantial number of customers with VIN numbers 300 and below that have been told to expect our cars in 2-3 weeks (sometime around March 20), in fact some of us have a build date in FEBRUARY -- and yet cars made in mid-March are reaching dealers as we speak.

Here are some thoughts at what may be happening:
1. The cars were stockpiled up in a valet fashion (first cars built in the very front row) of the holding cage awaiting the government safety approval. Now delivery has begun and they are shipping out cars as they come off the line and grabbing what room they have leftover on carriers from of the large pile which have been waiting delivery the longest. LIFO vs. FIFO?
2. Something was WRONG with these first 200 cars and they need to be reinserted in to the line or there was another serious problem, which the solution required a lot of time.
3. Options? Did we pick options that weren't available? Maybe they built the car but didn’t have enough premium stereos to throw in?

Our dealers seem just as confused, many believe to be high volume dealers who would be getting the most attention and first Skys.

I am hoping that all of us who have been waiting a while for these low VIN and early builds will suddenly have our cars come in.

Hope is all I have,
~SC2

·
Registered
251 Posts
Uggghhh, yeah this is pissing me off as well! I was told months back I would be the first to receive my car at my dealership and have yet to even get word as to when it will be there (or as so much an estimate). I ordered off the dealer demo image so I am sure mine is in this group of first builds. Something told me beign first in line to order would have its drawbacks and this is it! There has to be a problem with the first ones released for them to be delayed. Mine had a build date of Feb 27 and since them has gone to transport and nothing else has been heard of by my dealer. They are anxiosuly awaiting liek I am to get it in. I am hoping with all this extra waiting they will get the demo and #1 customer car so that I may take mine off the lot as soon as they receive it. Until then I will just sit and wait patiently...:banghead:

·
Registered
113 Posts
If i'm not mistaken Skyman 07's VIN was below 300 and it's signed sealed and delivered....i tend to think the delays stem more from red and black interior and automatic transmission options

·
Registered
623 Posts
It's probably parts shortages. If they built the car with a low level radio adn you requested an uptrim one (but it wasn't avalible your build day) then the car gets parked and someone goes back later (when they have more of that part, in my example the radio) and then has to "manually" install it. It does not go back on the line. This takes a LOT of time, especially if there is a part shortage.

·
Registered
102 Posts
There may be some truth to the first post. My dealer is part of 3 stores,,,,2 stores got cars last week and one store is still waiting. The saleman wrote this in an email "Ours got pulled aside for quality inspection by GM and we are patiently waiting for them to finish up and ship it to us." :)

Just a thought

·
Registered
192 Posts
bumsky2 said:
There may be some truth to the first post. My dealer is part of 3 stores,,,,2 stores got cars last week and one store is still waiting. The saleman wrote this in an email "Ours got pulled aside for quality inspection by GM and we are patiently waiting for them to finish up and ship it to us." :)

Just a thought
Mine is #902 and still waiting. They will probably put mine and Greenwood's demo on the same truck one of these days. Mine was released to carrier on 3/21.:banghead:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Astronomer said:
If i'm not mistaken Skyman 07's VIN was below 300 and it's signed sealed and delivered....i tend to think the delays stem more from red and black interior and automatic transmission options
Well I think the first 300 or 400 were in the initial Ship to commerce inspection where they went over them with a fine tooth comb. and they took each one that had any problems and fixed them and noted what the proper fix should be, the later VIN's probably had them already fixed and ready to ship befor the first ones were put back into the mix either to be matched up to anexistion order in the system or to an early order, In my case i think they found a car that matched my order, and sent it to me, I know this is the best built car I have ever had, and if they did find some problems with it they fixed it perfectly... so if yours is late, just wait they must have found somethig and are taking their time going over every inch to make sure it is perfect before leaving the factory...
PS I think the ones coming with damaged and touched up paint are ones that someone other than the factory has messed with...

These are just my opinion though, I have no facts to back them up...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts