Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two questions:
1) Has anyone an opinion on the value of LowJack, which is offered as an option by the dealers? and,
2) What about the extra security system option offered by dealers (that the police will call you in minutes if the car is moved and your fob is not in the car)? Any opinions?

FYI...I searched the site first for "LowJack", but could not find anything.

·
Registered
105 Posts
It's spelled LoJack, so that may be why your search turned up nothing. I did a quick search with the correct spelling and quite a number of threads came up. Many people believe it is a waste because OnStar can track a stolen vehicle anyhow. Others claim that a thief can just rip off the Onstar Antenna, and it is untrackable. Some dispute this, saying it can still work without the antenna. Who knows the truth... but the info is out there. Good luck!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dang spelling bee, never made it past the second round. :banghead:
Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Was told once very recently at a Saturn dealer that theives will steal a car, drive it a few blocks away on a secluded street and then stakeout the car for a few days to wait and see if the cops use Lojack to find it. Of course now the cops stakeout the found car sometimes too :)

Then there's the dealer story about how any good theif needs only about 3-5 minutes to disable lojack.

It cost me $900 on my Acura, and I'm not so sure it was really worth anything. Plus I get those annoying false phone calls and emails from the early warning system when the remote battery is low.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
The main reasons to steal a car are:
1) Joy ride - The Passkey III helps here and is standard. It will deter most J-riders.
2) Parts - There are not many SKYs out there. The market for parts is pretty small. I have seen Rolls Royces parked -- unlocked. No problems... Why -- There are so few there is no market for parts.
Look at most of the often stolen cars - High production/sales vehicles - lots of accidents BIG black market in parts.

If they want your car they will get it. The more resistance you give to a determined thief/J-rider the more damage they do to the car in taking it.

Had a car stolen one time - they took everything including the drive train! Apparently they were not interested in body parts. The car was repaired and returned to me -- Not a scratch on the paint! Pros...

·
Registered
129 Posts
GPS over Lo Jack

There are some GPS tracking devices that are a lot better and cheaper than Lo Jack IMO. They are concealed and have back up batteries unlike On-Star. You can track your car from the internet or cell phone anytime w/o having to depend on the police having lo jack tracking capabilities, b/c many of them do not. Lo jack is kinda old technology now that GPS is out IMO. Anyways, Check out MobileIQ by AirIQ
http://www.airiq.com/airiqnewweb2/content.cfm?chapterID=23&pageID=108&SegmentID=203

or www.thewitness.net

That my 2 cents worth. Once I get my redline, im gonna get MobilIQ.

·
Registered
150 Posts
LoJack for Canada

Boomerang Tracking (based in Montreal) provides stolen vehicle tracking for Canada using traditional (non-GPS) cellular tracking, making it less susceptible to signal interruption. It was actually bought by LoJack in 2004 so I'm assuming it's the brand name if you're looking for LoJack in Canada http://www.boomerangtracking.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts