Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've been setting in the back row since I joined and I must say that the crowd here has made me come to the final decision on what my new vehicle will be after college (Summer of 06'). A Midnight Blue Sky with all the trimmings to match my turbo 97 Sc2.

However, upon discussing this with a few close friends, I've discovered that there is a gentleman that will swap the Sky's factory powerplant and associated parts with those of the C6 corvette for the price of the sky & $9000. So far, what I know is that he has done this with at least one of the Solstices since their release, and it comes with a 2 year warranty. Now to me, this sounds like one heck of a deal; $31,000ish for a 400hp +- brand new Sky. I would say that I would take this route rather than wait for the redline version, but there will be no decision on this part of the vehicle's future until I find out more about this person and his quality of work.

What do you guys think about this decision/option?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I think you are light on the price...isn't it $15000 for the conversion.

The company is called Mallett if you would like to look it up

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
CdnSkyGuy said:
I think you are light on the price...isn't it $15000 for the conversion.

The company is called Mallett if you would like to look it up

I'm talking about a guy, not the Mallett group, thank you though... or at least if I remember correctly. However, if you are correct, looks like I'll either wait till the redline version, or turbocharge my own as I/we did the Sc.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Oh ok...sorry

I would not have "some guy" do that to my vehicle. At least Mallett has a 2 year warranty and the reputation/experience to do the job properly. That, to me, is almost worth the extra $11,000.

I would not turbo it yourself either until after the warranty expires. Unless money is no object to you...in which case can I borrow a couple thousand dollars?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CdnSkyGuy said:
Oh ok...sorry

I would not have "some guy" do that to my vehicle. At least Mallett has a 2 year warranty and the reputation/experience to do the job properly. That, to me, is almost worth the extra $11,000.

I would not turbo it yourself either until after the warranty expires. Unless money is no object to you...in which case can I borrow a couple thousand dollars?
I completely agree with the "some guy" statement. Growing up, I had a "friend of the family" attempt to build a 200bhp n/a 1.9L (I didn't know any better then) and ended up raping me. We were still tied up in court 3yrs later.

As far as boosting it on my "own", I firmly agree with Mr. Bell in that just because the vehicle is new shouldn't negate it's ability to be modified. However money may not be a factor to him as it is to you or I, especially with newer technology. If I do decide to boost the sky, there will be plenty of r&d behind it meaning that it will not by any means be an immediate installation. I appreciate the looking out for me though :)

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
At the Solstice forum we've got I think 4-5 people doing V8 kits and 1-2 doing v6 kits. Some are selling DIY conversion kits others are doing the swaps for you.

On the v8 side is Mallett, Archie, werks, etc

·
Registered
11 Posts
I personally would just crank up the boost on the turbo version of the sky if/when it comes out. I don't see the point of hacking up a car that already is tipping the scales for its size when the same power can be made with 4. If the ecotec is like the other strong 2.0 turbo import cars worth their weight 400hp+ on stock engine internals shouldn't be a probelm. If not i'll be the first to drop in a 4g63 or srdet and show them how to make a fast sky :D

With the ecotec and forged internals stock there isn't a reason it shouldn't be able to even more then that. I predict some of you will be quite suprised when the kinks start getting worked out. Unless theres some major factory fuel or tuning hurdles which may be a PITA. I can't wait.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Okay, lets see now: $27K for the Sky+$20K for conversion (which I am hoping includes the engine, tranny, and diff) or $47K. That is very close to the price of the Corvette, which gets 28+ mpg anyway. So what are you gaining??

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
TexSon said:
Okay, lets see now: $27K for the Sky+$20K for conversion (which I am hoping includes the engine, tranny, and diff) or $47K. That is very close to the price of the Corvette, which gets 28+ mpg anyway. So what are you gaining??
Uniqueness.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
TexSon said:
But then you have a Corvette that runs like all the other Corvettes...

·
Registered
148 Posts
TexSon said:
Let's say the corvette was running with a I4 of 180HP and that they would be selling it exactly the same price at the sky, Would you get one instead?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I would truly have to wonder about this, my BF bought a Z 06 last year and wow 405 hp stock is meant on that car, espicially with the body levitationa nd distribution of the engine. This little Sky couldn't possibly hold all that power properly, also think of how loud would it be with the top up in a soft top covertible utilizing all that hp. The Sky is meant for girls and any guy who wants a manly car should buy it with that much HP stock!

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I guess I'll have to turn into a girl :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
But then you have a Corvette that runs like all the other Corvettes...
Exactly. You don't expect an LS Solstice to run like a vette do you? It will have smaller tires (even if upgraded to the max size possible), more weight over the front wheels, five instead of six speeds in the transmission, a narrower track, much smaller brakes, a chassis that was never designed to handle that much power, and no stability control. Personally, I imagine it will also weight more (at least with reinforced drivetrain to handle the power) but time will tell.

Bad cars, like bad marraiges, come from trying to change your lover too much.
If you want Corvette performance, buy a Corvette.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Chloe said:
I would truly have to wonder about this, my BF bought a Z 06 last year and wow 405 hp stock is meant on that car, espicially with the body levitationa nd distribution of the engine. This little Sky couldn't possibly hold all that power properly, also think of how loud would it be with the top up in a soft top covertible utilizing all that hp. The Sky is meant for girls and any guy who wants a manly car should buy it with that much HP stock!
Have you read the thread that has the demographic of who they expect to buy a Sky? The majority will not be girls my friend....it isn't a wide margin...

Chip said:
Primary Target
Older, higher income
Either no children under 16, or adding a vehicle to the household fleet
Age 45-65
HH Income $75,000-$1000,000
% Male 60%
% Female 55%
% College 55%

Secondary Target
Age 35-45
Single or married w/ no children
HH Income $55,000- $75,000
% Male 60%
% College 65%

I guess I need a second job and need to go back and finish college!:lol:

·
Registered
2 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
Have you read the thread that has the demographic of who they expect to buy a Sky? The majority will not be girls my friend....it isn't a wide margin...
I must be the Tertiary Target group? :jester:

Age 25+
Single or married w/ no children
HH Income $55,000- $75,000

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Snowy_Beast said:
Let's say the corvette was running with a I4 of 180HP and that they would be selling it exactly the same price at the sky, Would you get one instead?
Your only problem is the Sky with the LS will probably weight as much as the Corvette, but with almost double the front end weight it was designed with, so the handling will suck. You will probabaly have some nasty heat problems, and unless you change out the entire drive line, will wind up turning the transmission and rear end to jello. I would rather have either the Sky or Corvette than a "unique" car that sits on the driveway while I try to find someone to cobble together a drivetrain for it (at another $15K).

I love the Corvette and have a '71 ragtop I am getting ready to restore. My wife won't let me get another Vette, thus the Sky....

·
Registered
554 Posts
TexSon said:
Your only problem is the Sky with the LS will probably weight as much as the Corvette, but with almost double the front end weight it was designed with, so the handling will suck. You will probabaly have some nasty heat problems, and unless you change out the entire drive line, will wind up turning the transmission and rear end to jello. I would rather have either the Sky or Corvette than a "unique" car that sits on the driveway while I try to find someone to cobble together a drivetrain for it (at another $15K).

I love the Corvette and have a '71 ragtop I am getting ready to restore. My wife won't let me get another Vette, thus the Sky....
Read how the Mallett V8 Solstice did in various car magazines. Not too heavy, not too loose, just right! Head to head with an C6 Corvette Convertible has some very interesting results. And the C6 convertible cost about $10K more. Granted the Corvette has its own style, following, and history. Maybe the V8 kappas will have the spotlight.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Delnari said:
Read how the Mallett V8 Solstice did in various car magazines. Not too heavy, not too loose, just right! Head to head with an C6 Corvette Convertible has some very interesting results. And the C6 convertible cost about $10K more. Granted the Corvette has its own style, following, and history. Maybe the V8 kappas will have the spotlight.
I did read the various tests and articles. No one did a full road test, just a quick review, using the manufacturer's estimated values. I was impressed by the restraint and what was not said by the magazines in places. Rightfully, they always encourage the tuners.

There are very few major-engine swaps that ever work well: even the original Cobra really didn't until they redesigned the entire car. The V8 Miatas I've seen don't work well (I've raced against a few, they aren't really very fast because they aren't well balanced, and some overheat badly). I am very convinced the V8 Sky will be the same. Again, very likely it will either, a) weigh more than a 'vette, or b) keep its original drivetrain which the motor will reduce the shards within 10K miles.
And regardless of the weight, using data from those road tests make the following obvious: it has more weight on the front wheels than a vette does, with smaller tires up there to turn the front end, it has a bit less or the same weight on the rear wheels as a vette does, with smaller tires to try to get that power to the ground, it has a narrower track, and a five-speed instead of a six speed transmission, much smaller brakes (more money would take car of that), and no stability control, and, if it matters, no trunk space really.

It might cost $10K less, but again, better brakes, upgraded drivetrain, a solution to the inevitable cooling problems it will likely have (at least with AC), etc., will dig deeply into that. When you consider resale value (modified and most tuner cars never have good market value), it will cost as much ore more.

And of course, if you are one of the many people who care what other people think of your car, you have to consider what people will think: you might know you have a unique powerful car but most people won't know that, assuming its just a standard "cute" Sky, and to prove you have something different will have to show off or street race, which is very uncouth and not cool . . .

1 - 20 of 65 Posts