Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm going in tomorrow to do my order. I'm still up in the air on the LSD though. I'm not "exactly" sure what it does or how it helps (or doesn't?) but I'm aware that it limits one tire from spinning while the other isn't (or something like that).

I live in Tampa, FL and when it rains (usually at least every other day! LOL) the roads do get slippery however I usually only spin my wheels when the road is wet and the light's just changed.

Do you think I would benefit from getting LSD? If so how? Otherwise do you think I should ditch this option and not get it?

Thanks for the advice!

Joseph

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
A limited slip differential will stop just one wheel from spinning. If you take off fast, dumping the clutch, etc., it routes the power to the other wheel from the one that might want to spin because it has poor traction, etc. You might end up spinning BOTH rear wheels, but not just one. They are particularly useful on really powerful cars when: a) you want to blast off the line from a standing start, getting the max traction, or b) you corner hard enough that when you mash the thorttle in the middle of a turn the inside wheel spins for lack of weight on it.

I would not think an LSD is a big priority on a SKy, unless you plan to modify it. From what I've read of Solstices in road tests, it is not really easy to spin the wheels unless you try (dump the clutch in first gear, etc.). In addition, you'll probably get traction control, which will take care of wheelspin in snow, rain situations. So only if you plan to mod it seriously or road race it would I say it is a big priority.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Lee Willis said:
I would not think an LSD is a big priority on a SKy, unless you plan to modify it. From what I've read of Solstices in road tests, it is not really easy to spin the wheels unless you try (dump the clutch in first gear, etc.). In addition, you'll probably get traction control, which will take care of wheelspin in snow, rain situations. So only if you plan to mod it seriously or road race it would I say it is a big priority.
Is traction control available on the Sky? Is it part of the antilock bake system? :confused:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Actually, I don't know whether traction control is available on the Sky. It would be pretty lame to offer any "premium" car without it, I think. Its not that hard to add to any modern car with ABS (or even a car without).

I note you live in Washington state - but I don't know the state well enough to know whether your town is the snowy part. I would get one or the other of either LSD or traction control if I was going to face snow even a few times a year.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,568 Posts
Anyone know it's size and if the available LSD would be able to stand up to the LS2 V8??? I am wondering if this one would suffice... or if I should get the 3.73 one Mallett provides for 2 grand. I am guessing because of the price diff... it would be worth it to go with the Mallett LSD.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Go with the Mallet. Personally, I'd recommend 3.42 gears, not 3.73. The car hardly needs the higher gearing and the 3.42 will provide more relxed highway and around town driving.

Also, I think the 3.73 would challenge an already traction limited car. One problem with V8 Skys and Solstices is going to be tire size at the rear. About the widest you can fit with effort will be something close to the stock size on the vette. So you have a car about 180 lbs lighter than a vette, with all of that lost weight on the rear (if you work the math on the total weight and F/R balance given for the Mallet V8 on the Solstice forum, you reach this conclusion, it weighs about what a vette does in the front and much less in the rear).

I hope someone offers a modification to put wider tires on the V8 Kappa. I'm not talking about 285s or 295s, but something like 315s. It could be either a fender flare kit (something subtle, like what Chevy does with the flares on the new ZO6 compared to the standard vette) or a tubbing kit that widens the wheel wells inside the car (don't even know if this is feasible, dpends on where the gas tank is). I did a tubbing kit on my vette so I can run 345s and it was an easy mod and makes the car no wider. Anyway, unless you have something like 315s I don't think you could use 3.73 to any advantage.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I've ordered it! YaY!

Sunburst Yellow, Automatic, Premium Package, Upgraded radio (w/o 6 disc), & LSD

Can't wait to get it! Dealer says he expects to get it sometime in Feb/March. He was suprised when I asked about a markup that other dealerships would be doing it.

They will be doing test drives of their 1st vehicle but will sell it to someone if they walk into the lot and want to buy it straight off of the floor.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Joseph

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,568 Posts
Lee Willis said:
Go with the Mallet. Personally, I'd recommend 3.42 gears, not 3.73. The car hardly needs the higher gearing and the 3.42 will provide more relxed highway and around town driving.

Also, I think the 3.73 would challenge an already traction limited car. One problem with V8 Skys and Solstices is going to be tire size at the rear. About the widest you can fit with effort will be something close to the stock size on the vette. So you have a car about 180 lbs lighter than a vette, with all of that lost weight on the rear (if you work the math on the total weight and F/R balance given for the Mallet V8 on the Solstice forum, you reach this conclusion, it weighs about what a vette does in the front and much less in the rear).
Would you say the 3.73 would be for the 6-speed Tremac option they have? And the 3.42 is for the stock 5-speed??? Might make sense... or would the 3.42 also be fine for the 6???

I of course want to make all the right choices... so your help is truly appreciated. Thank you!!! :cheers:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'd definately get the 3.42 with the 5-speed, it they manage to put a 6-speed in, then you could go with the 3.73. With that higher gear ratio you would probably find yourself starting out in second gear a lot, though, in day to day driving, just around town and ll. The car has the torque to do it easily and it really wouldn't be hard on the clutch with that light of car.

·
Registered
165 Posts
We live in a mountainous area - no snow - but my husband insists I get the LSD as it is an inexpensive safety feature that probably should be standard.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Lee Willis said:
I note you live in Washington state - but I don't know the state well enough to know whether your town is the snowy part. I would get one or the other of either LSD or traction control if I was going to face snow even a few times a year.
We live west of Puget Sound (across the water form Seattle.) We typically yet a day or 2 of snow a couple times a year. My plan is not to take the SKY out in the snow unless I get caught.
When it snows I use my wife 4X4. I do plan on getting LSD.:)

Can you put chains on these cars?:confused:

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
ILVMYGT said:
We live west of Puget Sound (across the water form Seattle.) We typically yet a day or 2 of snow a couple times a year. My plan is not to take the SKY out in the snow unless I get caught.
When it snows I use my wife 4X4. I do plan on getting LSD.:)

Can you put chains on these cars?:confused:
Is that on the tires or the whole car, they will be popular you know:lol: :lol: :cheers:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Chains cannot be installed on this roadster because of wheelwell space. There is no clearance for chains. My advice move to the south, here we don't get snow just rain and during the summer, air that you can cut with a knife and take a bite out of. Skip...:D :thumbs: LSD is something I took in my early years to look at white rabbits and knights riding backwards..

·
Registered
57 Posts
For winter you can do one of two things:
1) Buy a set of narrow rims and snow tires narrow enough that you can get chains on (not preferred).
2) Put on really good snow tires. If you state permits, studded snow tires. Regardless, get real snow tires, not "all season," but snow tires. Throw some weight (say to 80 lb bags of sand) in the trunk and it'll do okay.

And by the way, change the fronts too, to the narrowest size applicable of snow tire: no use having rear wheel traction and not being able to steer well.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Lee Willis said:
For winter you can do one of two things:
1) Buy a set of narrow rims and snow tires narrow enough that you can get chains on (not preferred).
2) Put on really good snow tires. If you state permits, studded snow tires. Regardless, get real snow tires, not "all season," but snow tires. Throw some weight (say to 80 lb bags of sand) in the trunk and it'll do okay.

And by the way, change the fronts too, to the narrowest size applicable of snow tire: no use having rear wheel traction and not being able to steer well.
You think the bag of sand will fit in the trunk???:)

·
Registered
57 Posts
well, maybe 50 lb bags?

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,568 Posts
nighttripper said:
You think the bag of sand will fit in the trunk???:)
Sure... cut it open and pour it in... :D :jester: :thumbs:

·
Registered
727 Posts
MOMDRAE said:
We live in a mountainous area - no snow - but my husband insists I get the LSD as it is an inexpensive safety feature that probably should be standard.
Just be careful with the LSD on slick surfaces, and be sure you get comfortable with what the car is going to do when you apply the gas. The LSD will help put the power down, and keep one wheel from helplessly spinning on really slick surfaces. However, on the negative side, it also increases the chances that the rear end will swing out when you hit the gas on slippery surfaces too. You just have to know it will do that, and be prepared. On snowy/icey surfaces, LSD is good for not getting stuck, but it is not so good for straight line stability.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Those are good points. If you live in snowy areas and drive the car alot in slush and snow, it really is nice to have the traction control, but apparently it is not offered on the Sky.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts