Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given the fact that the trunk is about as spacious as a 2000/mo Manhattan apartment and getting in a lot of stuff in it is like playing level 30 of Tetris... I was considering buying a luggage rack. To top it off I leave my golf clubs in the trunk to take care of what space may be left.

Has anyone purchased the GM luggage rack (I know it may be unavailable)? Thoughts on it? Does the Onstar antenna get in the way? How does it attach? Pics perhaps?

What about other luggage rack alternatives?

Any feedback will be appreciated, Thanks!

·
Registered
669 Posts
I remember seeing some pix on the Solstice Forum...they were basically making fun of the looks of the rack :lol: I'm sorry, I don't remember the name of the thread.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
qwack said:
I remember seeing some pix on the Solstice Forum...they were basically making fun of the looks of the rack :lol: I'm sorry, I don't remember the name of the thread.
Dang... well I guess its better than making the passenger hold an airplane roller in their lap. Although, I hate to think of ruining the style of the sky with an ugly add-on... I was hoping it would be as simple as just "clipping" it on to the deck lid and then I could basically throw it on whenever I needed it. Maybe somewhere a Sol owner has a testimonial.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Kappasphere is coming out with a Stainless Steel rack for the Sky. Its not on there web site yet, but will be available soon. Well, at least as of yesterday when I talked to them on the phone. I believe they said the price will be around the $350.00-$400.00 range. You may want to inquire more with them.

www.KappaSphere.com
Phone 951-296-6825

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
qwack said:
Here's the GM Luggage rack:
http://www.saturn.com/saturn/images/...skyRL5_800.jpg

and here's the link to the Solstice thread:
<A href="http://"http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15156&highlight=luggage+rack" target=_blank>GM Luggage Rack Picture
Thanks...

I wonder how it will look on silver graphite as opposed to the pearl. Hmmm...

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
1994SC2 said:
Thanks...

I wonder how it will look on silver graphite as opposed to the pearl. Hmmm...

From what I read the rack is removable and requires no drilling. So if you do not like the looks of it only put it on when it will be covered by luggage! :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
mid life crisis

richmcc said:
From what I read the rack is removable and requires no drilling. So if you do not like the looks of it only put it on when it will be covered by luggage! :D
Talk about your mid life crisis. I bought my sky as a retirement present to myself. Cant wait for it to get here so I can show it off to all my retired friends who sit around and talk about how tired and bored they are.. :cheers:

Black Onyx
Premiun Trim Package
6 Disc cd/mp3 player Satelite Radio
chrome wheels
automatic

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I understand the rack comes (or can be ordered with) a bag to cover the luggage and protect it a bit.
This sounds like a workable idea as a roadster SHOULD have a luggage rack on it, but the lines are so nice no one wants to cover them.:D
I'd have to really inspect it though to make sure there would be NO damage to the lid!!:nono:

·
Registered
804 Posts
1994SC2 said:
Given the fact that the trunk is about as spacious as a 2000/mo Manhattan apartment and getting in a lot of stuff in it is like playing level 30 of Tetris... I was considering buying a luggage rack. To top it off I leave my golf clubs in the trunk to take care of what space may be left.

Has anyone purchased the GM luggage rack (I know it may be unavailable)? Thoughts on it? Does the Onstar antenna get in the way? How does it attach? Pics perhaps?

What about other luggage rack alternatives?

Any feedback will be appreciated, Thanks!
Here is a picture of the luggage rack.:)
Rich

Attachments

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Is it just me?

Am I the only one here who thinks that the luggage rack doesn't look very....ummmmmmm....'functional', I guess would be the right word? :confused: The looks of it are okay, but realistically...what could you possibly strap down to that tiny little thing and not have it scratch the paint on the humps? My purse wouldn't even fit on that thing. Maybe it's actually bigger than it looks in the pictures...I don't know, I've not seen one, so I can't say. But just going by the pictures posted here...it just doesn't appear to be large enough to hold even a small piece of luggage or duffle.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I don't know Linda but it looks like it would fit 2 ribeyes rite fine for a cook out. I wonder if they make one that is teflon coated.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Maverick said:
I don't know Linda but it looks like it would fit 2 ribeyes rite fine for a cook out. I wonder if they make one that is teflon coated.
:agree: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
67 Posts
I like the look of it but I agree, How much can you fit on that thing!!!!

·
Registered
304 Posts
I think the small size of the rack compared to what traditionalists have as racks on MG's and Triumphs is what triggered any bashing of the GM product. It doesn't thrill me at all. A true luggage rack should be suspended above the trunk by at least 3 inches. If it cleared the humps you could actually carry something of size. But at the size of carryon luggage maybe it corresponds to a low weight limit.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm thinking for a weekend getaway or cross country tour, a trailer hitch and trailer might be the way to go.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,287 Posts
Options

Buzz Lightyear said:
I'm thinking for a weekend getaway or cross country tour, a trailer hitch and trailer might be the way to go.
Another option would be either to get a "Skyd-car" (I mean Side-car) or even use saddlebags. :D

·
Registered
90 Posts
nscrbug said:
Am I the only one here who thinks that the luggage rack doesn't look very....ummmmmmm....'functional', I guess would be the right word? :confused: The looks of it are okay, but realistically...what could you possibly strap down to that tiny little thing and not have it scratch the paint on the humps? My purse wouldn't even fit on that thing. Maybe it's actually bigger than it looks in the pictures...I don't know, I've not seen one, so I can't say. But just going by the pictures posted here...it just doesn't appear to be large enough to hold even a small piece of luggage or duffle.

You could strap a dufflebag to it and also use it as a windscreen :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts