Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone heard a release date on the luggage rack shown on Saturns R/L website? Was also wondering if they where going to make it a quick pop on/off so you could get rid of it when you aren't on the weekend or week road trip?

Never mind found the post I was looking for

·
Registered
59 Posts
I talked with the dealer when I ordered mine yesterday and was told it was a dealer bolt on addition and would only bear 80lbs. It was mostly for show and not very useful when on the highway @ 70mph. I skipped the add-on at that point.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
ranps1 said:
I talked with the dealer when I ordered mine yesterday and was told it was a dealer bolt on addition and would only bear 80lbs. It was mostly for show and not very useful when on the highway @ 70mph. I skipped the add-on at that point.
I wonder if you dealer is sure about what he is talking about. Everything I have seen on it up until your post has it as a removable rack. Your weight quotes are in line with every thing I have heard though. Most admittedly though I will be waiting until I see one for myself before purchasing.

·
Registered
422 Posts
marklynn70 said:
I wonder if you dealer is sure about what he is talking about....
:agree:
The weight seems even a little high if you consider that really small rack between the humps. Normal weight range for larger racks (boxter, Z3, MX5...) are in between 50 and 80 lbs.
On the other hand the rack is for storage of volume: weight in the trunk, volume on top.
That should be a problem with the Sky/Sol, there is only low space between the humps, no room for bigger luggage if you won't damage the humps. :nono:

Anyway I just looked at the (german) Mazda site: that big luggage rack is listed for 15 kg / 33 lbs only :confused: and high in price 510 € / 650 $.

Maybe some aftermarket producers will find better solutions for the Kappas.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Same here I am waiting to see what it looks like in reality. I now wonder also if the dealer was off on the windscreen. He also said that had to be drilled out and installed w/ grommets as engineers had not yet figured out how to make it self sealing mounts.?? Same thing I'll just wait.

·
Registered
482 Posts
ranps1 said:
80lbs don't seem bad to me unless you plan to rob Fort Konx. 80lbs is alot of stuff in a small place.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Maverick said:
80lbs don't seem bad to me unless you plan to rob Fort Knox. 80lbs is alot of stuff in a small place.
Just what I meant, put that heavy gold in the trunk and fix your six packs on that rack. Maybe GM will offer a special box. :jester:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts