Saturn Sky Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Aesthetically I don't like it. Too big. It makes the car look sort of generic, hiding the characterisric double hump. I would prefer a smaller one or none at all.

Does it improve handling at least?
Since the installation I had a 1 minute burst of 90MPH and at that speed I could feel it.
Other than that. No.

I like the styling as in the pics posted by mstrjon32.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Since the installation I had a 1 minute burst of 90MPH and at that speed I could feel it.
Other than that. No.

I like the styling as in the pics posted by mstrjon32.
Well, then it works. Spoilers are hardly noticeable at lower speeds.
Spoilers make sense in our cars at least, OTOH I see lots of FWD cars with spoilers which is kind of funny.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Noticable and It Works could be miles apart.

In what way was it noticable ?

FWD cars having rear spoilers is not funny in my opinion. There are many reasons for spoilers. From down force on rear wheels, fuel economy, reducing turbulence, keeping rain of your window, good looks, and many more.

There is a thread on the Kappa rear spoiler in one of the forums where a GM Solstice engineer basically states the Solstices spoiler is for good looks but that at higher speeds it might have an effect.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Noticable and It Works could be miles apart.

In what way was it noticable ?

FWD cars having rear spoilers is not funny in my opinion. There are many reasons for spoilers. From down force on rear wheels, fuel economy, reducing turbulence, keeping rain of your window, good looks, and many more.

There is a thread on the Kappa rear spoiler in one of the forums where a GM Solstice engineer basically states the Solstices spoiler is for good looks but that at higher speeds it might have an effect.
Well, i don't know how is it noticeable. I have not spoiler in my GT. The only way of knowing if it really works is doing some laps in a circuit with and without spoiler i suppose.

About spoilers, i stand corrected. They can make sense in FWD cars as they can have a number of functions, wings otoh (i think the thing in the OP is more a wing than a spoiler) are to generate down force in the back which will lift the front, making FWD cars to handle worse in fast turns. There is a funny Top Gear episode about this.

·
Super Moderator
6,566 Posts

Does it improve handling at least?
Information from GM said that the factory spoilers started to have an effect at 100+ MPH. I expect this one to react similarly.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Yep, even GM has never stated (that I know off) it is a driving / handling improvement.

But I fo like it. Although the Sky spoiler definitely looks better than the Solstice one.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Information from GM said that the factory spoilers started to have an effect at 100+ MPH. I expect this one to react similarly.
If I’m not mistaken, the factory does research on the design and the effects a spoiler has on handling before one is approved. I believe it’s possible that just adding one for looks sake alone without doing due diligence could result in negative handling outcomes. Just my 2 cents.....

·
Registered
42 Posts
How often people drive their Skies at 100+mph that required such rear downforce for stability? I would say the rear spoiler/wing is 99% aesthetic purposes.

To the OP, my opine is that your rear wing dejects from the look of the Sky. It's an oddly shaped plastic bench that contradicts the shapely rear end of the Sky. I think the best one is still the OEM wing. Personally I prefer clean lines.
In addition, the side strakes remind me of the Chrysler Crossfire. The Sky already has alot of plastic chrome bits that was contemporary back in the 90s/00s, but it is not aging well. Adding more stuff to this car makes it very busy.

Does rebadging it to Opel GT makes it anymore easier to explain than a Saturn Sky? Are you that ashamed of this niche brand? :confused:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Does rebadging it to Opel GT makes it anymore easier to explain than a Saturn Sky? Are you that ashamed of this niche brand? :confused:
Oddly enough in Europe it was much cooler to be seen in the Saturn, which is unknown to nearly everyone--Opel really isn't a great brand, it definitely has a stigma and is usually associated with crap like this:

Or worse, the "typical" Opel driver cliches like things you see here.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Sorry, I do not like it.
Generally I like the stock look of the cars. Small mods like having a different colour or putting a different rim on doesn't bother me, but if a mod detracts from appearance while having no real world advantage, it is a negative vote from me.

As far as what a spoiler can do (many simply 'spoil' the look of the cars) see Slippery Coupes?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Opel really isn't a great brand, it definitely has a stigma and is usually associated with crap like this.
I worked for Motorola in their automotive group from 1977 thru 1989. We designed engine controls & sensors, and ABS systems for the lower-end European market, Renault, Peugeot, Citroen, and Opel in hopes to get contracts that never materialized. I agree with you. There was such a thing called "Too Good". We engineered products to last but they didn't care so much about that.

In 2016 we toured Greece, an awesome road trip. We rented a car called a SEAT. I never heard of a Seat until then. It was basic transportation, stick shift etc. It might have been this model but not certain of it.

Back to the "Opel" brand....it just didn't have the reputation for "quality" but that was a long time ago. But nothing was worse than a Trabant followed by the Yugo.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I worked for Motorola in their automotive group from 1977 thru 1989. We designed engine controls & sensors, and ABS systems for the lower-end European market, Renault, Peugeot, Citroen, and Opel in hopes to get contracts that never materialized. I agree with you. There was such a thing called "Too Good". We engineered products to last but they didn't care so much about that.

In 2016 we toured Greece, an awesome road trip. We rented a car called a SEAT. I never heard of a Seat until then. It was basic transportation, stick shift etc. It might have been this model but not certain of it.
View attachment 115166
Back to the "Opel" brand....it just didn't have the reputation for "quality" but that was a long time ago. But nothing was worse than a Trabant followed by the Yugo.
SEAT was originally a Spanish brand, some years ago it was bought by Volkswagen and now only makes VW Golfs and Polos with a more sporty feeling.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I became aware of Seat while watching WRC racing. :)

Don't think Opel (is it pronounced as O-pal? or O-ple like apple?) sold stateside. I know they have similar reputation as Peugeot or Citroen in terms of quality and tier....not great. If you think explaining Saturn to joe public is challenging, this german brand will be even more confusing. At this point, you might as well go with Tesla Roadster. :D

·
Registered
374 Posts

View attachment 115166
Did you work for Motorola when they were based in Franklin Park?

·
Registered
77 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Did you work for Motorola when they were based in Franklin Park?
They moved from Franklin Park to Schaumburg 1299 in 1975. I started August 1st 1977.

My dad worked there 40 years, first on Augusta Blvd in Chicago, then Franklin Park many years for Motorola APD (Automotive Products Division turned AIEG) in drafting, then Schaumburg, then Northbrook. My uncle worked in the model shop in Franklin Park that stayed behind with the sale of consumer electronics to Quasar/Mishusta.

I left APD/AIEG a couple years after the move to Northbrook, worked in other divisions of the company to expand my horizons in circuit board design/layout. I worked at Motorola my entire adult life, then came my forced early retirement in 2015, the best thing that could have happened to me when engineering was transferred to Penang Malaysia. I nearly turned off the lights in the primary Schaumburg facility. The wrecking ball showed up soon thereafter.

One of Bob Galvin's offices remained there until the very end.

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
We had a business in Franklin Park and Motorola was one of our accounts. I had more Mocat CB radio equipment than I knew what to do with along with a home stereo. Excellent equipment

41 - 60 of 69 Posts