Saturn Sky Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

Registered
I worked for Motorola in their automotive group from 1977 thru 1989. We designed engine controls & sensors, and ABS systems for the lower-end European market, Renault, Peugeot, Citroen, and Opel in hopes to get contracts that never materialized. I agree with you. There was such a thing called "Too Good". We engineered products to last but they didn't care so much about that.

In 2016 we toured Greece, an awesome road trip. We rented a car called a SEAT. I never heard of a Seat until then. It was basic transportation, stick shift etc. It might have been this model but not certain of it.

Back to the "Opel" brand....it just didn't have the reputation for "quality" but that was a long time ago. But nothing was worse than a Trabant followed by the Yugo.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not necessarily saying that Opel produces "bad" cars (though I know nothing about the new ones now that it is owned by Groupe PSA), I'm just saying that there tends to be a cultural stigma with Opel that isn't the kind of thing you wouldn't go out of your way to associate with. In fact I'd expect Opel to less troublesome and longer lasting than anything produced by the people in Wolfsburg or Munich.

Seat is a Spanish brand, but it's owned by Volkswagen. You'll find all the mechanical components shared with other VW cars, including Skoda, Audi, etc. Not necessarily "cheap," there are some high-spec Seat's, but just targeted at different markets.

Registered
It's (was) my car! I was never part of the Facebook group so someone else must have shared it there, funny that it's a bit infamous. I also preferred it without the wing, but I sold the car and he can do what he likes with it!

That shot and this one taken at the same time were some of my favorites, it was just after sunrise:

I have some videos from that trip, I should dig them out and upload them.

Registered
2008 Sky Red Line
It's (was) my car! I was never part of the Facebook group so someone else must have shared it there, funny that it's a bit infamous. I also preferred it without the wing, but I sold the car and he can do what he likes with it!

That shot and this one taken at the same time were some of my favorites, it was just after sunrise:

View attachment 115171

I have some videos from that trip, I should dig them out and upload them.
I remember your posts and it being your car before you sold it. We had almost identical cars even down to the gas filler neck issue. The new owner shares photos from time to time on a couple of the FB groups, the one I shared here was just made the cover page for one of the groups by votes. That鈥檚 interesting that he鈥檚 sharing your photos though.

Registered
Don't get me wrong, I'm not necessarily saying that Opel produces "bad" cars (though I know nothing about the new ones now that it is owned by Groupe PSA), I'm just saying that there tends to be a cultural stigma with Opel that isn't the kind of thing you wouldn't go out of your way to associate with. In fact I'd expect Opel to less troublesome and longer lasting than anything produced by the people in Wolfsburg or Munich.
Yeah, it is all about reputation, but in reliability surveys, Mercedes for instance, is always at the last positions, less reliable than Peugeot, Citroen or Opel. All I can say is my family have owned several Citroens (i own a C4 right now) and they can last forever almost issue-free.
Seat is a Spanish brand, but it's owned by Volkswagen. You'll find all the mechanical components shared with other VW cars, including Skoda, Audi, etc. Not necessarily "cheap," there are some high-spec Seat's, but just targeted at different markets.
Exactly. And before being owned by VW, Seat only built modified Fiat models. So it was never a truly original automaker. For a really original and interesting Spanish brand you will have to look for Hispano-Suiza and its inheritor Pegaso which made some amazing sport cars, among the most advanced back in the 1950s:

Registered
I remember your posts and it being your car before you sold it. We had almost identical cars even down to the gas filler neck issue. The new owner shares photos from time to time on a couple of the FB groups, the one I shared here was just made the cover page for one of the groups by votes. That鈥檚 interesting that he鈥檚 sharing your photos though.
Well I just shared some of his, so we can call it even!馃榿

He is probably dreaming of the trips he could take if it weren't for the never ending lockdowns.

Registered
Installed finally... Tell me first. Then I'll tell you what I think...
I鈥檓 a big fan of keeping our cars stock so, even though it鈥檚 a job well done, my vote is no.
My Wife鈥檚 two cents, always be prepared for the good, the bad and the ugly comments.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts