Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been posted before, but here's an excerpt from a NY times interview with Bob Lutz:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/16/automobiles/16interview.lutz.html?pagewanted=8

I am really happy with the Solstice, and the [Saturn] Sky will launch on time because all of the issues that we discovered with the Solstice will obviously all be taken care of with the Sky.

Q. When is that coming?

A. Sort of January-ish.

We'll have - at the winter and spring automobile shows we will have plenty of them on the floor.

Note that this means they'll have production models to show by January, not that they'll actually be at dealers by January.

·
Registered
328 Posts
loyal_SL2 said:
Sorry if this has been posted before, but here's an excerpt from a NY times interview with Bob Lutz:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/16/automobiles/16interview.lutz.html?pagewanted=8

I am really happy with the Solstice, and the [Saturn] Sky will launch on time because all of the issues that we discovered with the Solstice will obviously all be taken care of with the Sky.

Q. When is that coming?

A. Sort of January-ish.

We'll have - at the winter and spring automobile shows we will have plenty of them on the floor.

Note that this means they'll have production models to show by January, not that they'll actually be at dealers by January.
That sounds great, but I will not count on Jan-ish ... in a dealership by April would be perfect. :cheers: (with production cranking up in Feb/March-ish?) That might sould too long to wait, but after the Sols wait issues ... April will look awesome! :)

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
the qoute from Lutz is exactly what I heard from the area rep at my dealer. the rep also said january production with the first cars being delivered in March.

·
Registered
328 Posts
usmc said:
the qoute from Lutz is exactly what I heard from the area rep at my dealer. the rep also said january production with the first cars being delivered in March.
I think ... but I do not hope ... that they will have very few if any by Mar. They said "summer" for the Sol and they delivered the first few near the END of summer. I might be "Sol Shocked" but I am not going to get impatient until the end of May. March and May are both some time away, so folks need to relax and enjoy the ride :cool: it will be a bumpy one :)

Patience Grasshoppers ... :D

·
Registered
411 Posts
I was told They will have some show cars in the store December and then they'll recieve sellable ones in January. I heard that from someone I trust, the head Manager.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Slade said:
I was told They will have some show cars in the store December and then they'll recieve sellable ones in January. I heard that from someone I trust, the head Manager.
The good news is it will not take too long to validate your trust with that manager. :lol: :cheers: I bet he might get nervous if you start to stalk him like some of the Sol people ... or are you already at that point? :confused: :D

·
Registered
623 Posts
Well maybe I'll be able to sit in it a NAIAS.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
What the guy driving a Sky around for the dealer shows told me yesterday, was that pre production starts early january the the first sellable car is supposed to roll off the line on Jan 29th, they have a big Saturn/GM head honcho get together scheduled for that day at the Wilmington plant.
first arrival at dealers is probably mid March Early April for the first 500 program cars....

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
<***SIGH***>

I know you really want this to be accurate, SkyMan, but that's the risk of trying to predict this stuff so early. I'm afraid the info is a bit dated...

I have no doubt that when Lutz did the interview, it was January-ish... but the fluidic nature of new vehicle launches and GM's history implies that one needed to add about 3-6 months to the first solid rumors of launch to get to the really important date: date of first customer delivery.

The first REALLY solid rumor for the Solstice was "start of production" on May 16, 2005.

Add three months, you get August - just about the same time the first car was delivered at the RenCen. This time included all the "slips" and "changes" in timing that occured.

First solid rumor for the Saturn Sky seems to be this "January 29, 2005" date. This implies first delivery around the end of April, 2006. My gut tells me it may be a few weeks later, so I'm thinking first delivery to a customer on May 12, 2006. I guess I get that date if we start a pool. :lol:

I'm highly skeptical of any delivery before March 21, 2006 - I'd say less than 10% chance of this happening.

Yep, even though Lutz is saying "January-ish". (besides, January 29 is closer to February-ish, if you ask me...)

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
KappaMan said:
<***SIGH***>

I know you really want this to be accurate, SkyMan, but that's the risk of trying to predict this stuff so early. I'm afraid the info is a bit dated...

I have no doubt that when Lutz did the interview, it was January-ish... but the fluidic nature of new vehicle launches and GM's history implies that one needed to add about 3-6 months to the first solid rumors of launch to get to the really important date: date of first customer delivery.

The first REALLY solid rumor for the Solstice was "start of production" on May 16, 2005.

Add three months, you get August - just about the same time the first car was delivered at the RenCen. This time included all the "slips" and "changes" in timing that occured.

First solid rumor for the Saturn Sky seems to be this "January 29, 2005" date. This implies first delivery around the end of April, 2006. My gut tells me it may be a few weeks later, so I'm thinking first delivery to a customer on May 12, 2006. I guess I get that date if we start a pool. :lol:

I'm highly skeptical of any delivery before March 21, 2006 - I'd say less than 10% chance of this happening.

Yep, even though Lutz is saying "January-ish". (besides, January 29 is closer to February-ish, if you ask me...)
Sounds about as logical as anything else I have heard....
Oh well, Who the heck knows, as my dealer told me, as soon as he hears something official I will hear something...

·
Registered
32 Posts
June Delivery

My wife and I have a distant relative working the factory in Delaware. He told us not to expect dealer delivery until June, which is still spring of 2006 and consistent with the timeframe Kappaman has outlined.

Not to worry, as I think it will be worth the wait!

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Whenever it comes it comes. I've been waiting for my ex to drop dead but that has not happened. Everything comes to he who waits. :cool:

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Skymaster said:
My wife and I have a distant relative working the factory in Delaware. He told us not to expect dealer delivery until June, which is still spring of 2006 and consistent with the timeframe Kappaman has outlined.

That sounds like what I am expecting for delivery of mine. If then! Who knows wheather the dealer has oversold his allocation. Saturn may not even give the dealer a choice of colour or options. Then I will wait. And what if GM decides to extend the run of the Solstice. How are they doing with that BTW? Is the Solstice up to full production yet?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Let's camp out at the factory! Who's with me? :D :D

Skymaster said:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts