Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Sky spends most of its time with the top down. The rule is "Above freezing, and not raining." I don't like to leave it sitting outside, everyone knows the sun is hard on the interior, and the seats get too hot. I also don't want to put the top up every time I stop for more than a few minutes. The weather seals have to wear out eventually, and I would still need a windshield sun screen to protect the dashboard. A tonneau cover has the problems everyone has discussed, and it doesn't offer any protection for the weather seal at the top of the windshield frame.

So, I made this cover. I have heard rumors that a similar cover is available from Kappasphere or some unnamed vendor, but have not been able to find one.

If anyone knows a source for a cover like this, I would love to hear about it.

Until I find a "real" cover, I'll keep working on this one, so any suggestions, criticisms, comments, etc, are appreciated.

One question I'm working on is the way to hold the cover over the doors. I have thought about looping a strap around the door handles, but that's one more thing to fasten/unfasten. I've thought about putting magnets in pockets along the edges, but I'm worried about maybe scratching the paint . For obvious reasons, I don't want snaps. So, suggestions ?

·
Registered
141 Posts
good job...looks like you put a lot of work into that cover. :thumbs:

·
Super Moderator
6,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Just don't look too closely ! My mother would be very disappointed at the crooked stitching. But, it does what I want, better than anything I have found on the market. I got the original idea from another poster (I apologize for forgetting who it was) and used a black sheet. I didn't like the "I stretched a sheet over my car" look and started trimming, adding, stitching, etc. until it started looking like it belonged. Now I just need to finish the details.

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
Looks good, I'm hoping someone comes up with a good commercial version. i'm with you I would like to drive mine year round. Best bet when it is cold out is if someone came up with a solution that covers the passenger side and keeps some heat on the inside and some defroster heat headed towards the windshield.:thumbs:

·
Super Moderator
6,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I drove a 1963 MGB for several years. It had the "take it apart, fold it up, and put it in the boot" top, so I used the tonneau a lot. The problem with using half of it was always keeping the edge down the centerline of the car from flapping. I usually just took the whole thing off to drive. And the zipper adds complexity to the thing, but it did look very sporty with half the cockpit covered. A leather bomber jacket, good gloves and a hat did pretty well for staying warm. The heat stayed in the footwell pretty well, to keep your feet fairly warm. And that car had a British heater ! I can't wait to drive something with real heat.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Eldeeko,

What was wrong with the one from the dealer?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
If you do a Google search for 'interior covers' you'll find a few, well actually a bunch of vendors selling commercial covers.

·
Super Moderator
6,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I am actually familiar with Google, did a search, and found a bunch of vendors selling exactly what I want, for quite a reasonable price. Unfortunately, when I told them I wanted one of their interior covers for a 2007 Sky, the collective response was "Huh ?", or something to that effect. ie: I can easily buy one for a Mustang, or a Sebring, or even a Corvette, but I have not found one for a Sky. I even checked for a Solstice. Maybe I just missed it, somehow. If someone can point me to a specific source, please do.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I am actually familiar with Google, did a search, and found a bunch of vendors selling exactly what I want, for quite a reasonable price. Unfortunately, when I told them I wanted one of their interior covers for a 2007 Sky, the collective response was "Huh ?", or something to that effect. ie: I can easily buy one for a Mustang, or a Sebring, or even a Corvette, but I have not found one for a Sky. I even checked for a Solstice. Maybe I just missed it, somehow. If someone can point me to a specific source, please do.
Yer correct, sir/ma'am. There doesn't seem to be a cover made specifically for our car. Let us know when you've finished the details - would love to see 'em.
BTW yours looks great!
:D

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
JRinKy

If you put a stick or something like that on the center console, it will allow any water to run off the sides and not pool up in the valley between the front and the rear..Skip..as a suggestion...:lol:

·
Super Moderator
6,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Rats, I was hoping that I had missed one somehow. Ah well, back to work. I am about to start rev 3. Thanks for the encouragement. Oh yeah, its sir, I really need to get my signature done......

Thanks for the suggestion, Skip. My plan at this time is to not worry about water, this is mainly for sun, leaves, birds, etc. For water I'll have to look at some sort of plug for the buttress holes, and I'm not sure I want to go that far. What does anyone else think, should this type of cover be all-weather ?

John

·
Registered
192 Posts
I think you're on to something. How about closing the trunk lid on say 3 or 4 inches of it and then hook it on the wipers in front, the door handles and mirrors on the side? I would go all weather material because if you're going to all of this effort and expense why not? Good luck and keep us posted. :thumbs:

·
Super Moderator
6,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've been wavering on all weather vs sunscreen, and had decided against the all-weather for these reasons:

1 The tonneaus I had for my MG's and Triumphs always collected a pool of water in the middle, and getting it out always got me, the seats, or both, wet. This can be remedied by stiffening ribs, or a tent pole in the center, but that adds bulk, and complication.
2 The holes that the buttresses lock into will need to be sealed, adding more complication.
3 The top on this car is much easier to use than those in my past history. The MG came apart and got stored in the boot (trunk to us Yanks) and the TR-6 had a two-piece hardtop, that had to be left at home. So, if it looks like rain, I'd rather put the top up, since it may still be raining when I get ready to leave.
4 Seriously all-weather material tends to be thicker and heavier, and bulk is bad.

I do think that the final material choice will either be water resistant, or treated with something, so that a quick shower won't soak thru. That will make the bird poop clean off easier, too.

I'm still not set, all-weather or sun ? Time will tell, I guess.

I like the suggestion about hooking onto the mirrors and door handles, that mod is in process now.

Hooking into the loops inside the trunk works pretty well to hold the back down, I am also adding a thicker area along the back edge so that the trunk lid will hold the ends down. Right now they tend to blow out when the lid is closed. I also keep getting the center part stuck in the lid latch, so I'm working on that as well. But, the hooks can stay attached as long as the top is down, the cover pulls back and lays on the top, so its quick to put on and take off.

Right now I am holding the front down with the wipers, but I'm not thrilled with that. I am adding a stiffener to the front edge so that it will lay along the base of the windscreen better, and I am making some hooks that mount under the hood's trailing edge bumpers. With those, I can have a solid attachment point front and rear, which should look a bit nicer, and hold the top in place better. It may also make it unnecessary to attach anything to the mirrors or door handles. We'll see.

Thanks for the feedback. And Kappasphere, et al: Are you listening ? I'd rather buy this than make it ! Maybe. Unless mine turns out to be really really good.

·
Super Moderator
6,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Latest revisions:
Hood-mounted loop, top view
Hood-mounted loop, bottom view
Trunk interior hook
Hood and Handle attachments
Overall view of cover

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Latest revisions:
Hood-mounted loop, top view
Hood-mounted loop, bottom view
Trunk interior hook
Hood and Handle attachments
Overall view of cover
Now John that looks right nice. Iffen I were you I would patent that quick before the aftermarket gets to it....Skip...:)

·
Super Moderator
6,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Skip : Now John that looks right nice. Iffen I were you I would patent that quick before the aftermarket gets to it....Skip
Put away the clear, Skip. I thank you for the compliment, and I am rather proud of how it came out, but there's not an original idea there, I just applied some to the Sky that haven't been yet.

·
Registered
229 Posts
John, I'm with you. The Sky is meant to be driven with the top down. I hope someone comes-up with a commercial version of a cover like your which will allow me to park the car wihout having to put the top up.

larry4pyro

·
Super Moderator
6,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
larry4pyro : John, I'm with you. The Sky is meant to be driven with the top down. I hope someone comes-up with a commercial version of a cover like your which will allow me to park the car wihout having to put the top up.
Kappasphere makes one that is similar. Check out their website. I think they also posted a thread about it. Its called the Kappabrella (I think).
xmicro_Redline : Saturn make a $336 Tourneau cover. See below:
Yes, they do. It has been discussed extensively here. The general consensus is that it is bulky, hard to use, and requires that studs be drilled into the car's bodywork to attach it. Altogether not very desirable.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts