Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here are some pics of my birthday present to myself... dual outlet Stainless Steel MagnaFlow muffler and tips. Sounds wicked now with the MagnaFlow and the dual intake CAI. The stock muffler is a huge beast compared to the MagnaFlow.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Part numbers and prices please :thumbs:

Also does this just replace the stock muffler or does it go all the way up to the Cat?

Btw....Looks Awesome :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Part numbers and prices please :thumbs:

Also does this just replace the stock muffler or does it go all the way up to the Cat?

Btw....Looks Awesome :thumbs:
The MagnaFlow Stainless Muffler is PN 14267. The Tips are PN 35169. Less than $500 parts and labor. There is a non stainless Magnaflow that is cheaper.

Not a CAT back.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Great job.......... I like the round tips. Do you like the sound?

·
Registered
386 Posts
She looks great!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Nice job!

Your system looks great!
Would it be possible to see a picture underneath the car showing how the pipes were connected? The muffler has it's inlet 90 degrees from the original, and it must have some custom made pipes to make it all fit.

Also, how loud is it while driving easy at low RPM? Does it drone while lugging the engine in high gear? I'm sure it sounds great when you're on the gas.
Thanks and have fun!

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Your system looks great!
Would it be possible to see a picture underneath the car showing how the pipes were connected? The muffler has it's inlet 90 degrees from the original, and it must have some custom made pipes to make it all fit.

Also, how loud is it while driving easy at low RPM? Does it drone while lugging the engine in high gear? I'm sure it sounds great when you're on the gas.
Thanks and have fun!
I don't have any pics of under the car... they wouldn't let me down in the pit. Yes, the piping is custom... they got the muffler set on jackstands where they wanted it and then bent wire to the shape needed and used the wire as a guide to bending the pipe. The shape of the intake pipe is kinda like a question mark. The custom piping was incuded in the price.

Driving easy, it is not loud but definitely a presence. If you try hard acelleration... like cruising 50 mph in 5th and flooring it, it lets you know that you should have downshifted.

·
Registered
420 Posts
looks great! :thumbs:

the look of quad tips from the rear definitely boost the wow factor of this car. :cool:

·
Registered
255 Posts
They did a great job. Really looks nice. You used the exact same muffler that I used. I agree that the sound is much deeper and is the lowest at cruise speed. I have the CAI also and when it is peddle-to-the-metal it really sounds great. I used different tips, but, hey, they both look great. It finishes off the rear of the car. I think I'll build a submarine out of the old muffler, it's big enough.

Larry

·
Registered
322 Posts
Damn that car does look good!!!:cool: Nice job.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Very nice. What steps did you take in making the new opening? The picture you put up just looks like you went at it with tin snips but the finished result looks amazing.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I am also interested in the process of cutting out the opening in the rear fascia. Did your shop guys do this or did you. What tools were used, and did you create a template.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I am also interested in the process of cutting out the opening in the rear fascia. Did your shop guys do this or did you. What tools were used, and did you create a template.
Anyone who can cut that second exhaust hole WITHOUT making a template and look that good........is nothing short of amazing, lol.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Very nice. What steps did you take in making the new opening? The picture you put up just looks like you went at it with tin snips but the finished result looks amazing.
I made a template as follows:

1. taped a piece of cardboard to the bumper over the existing hole.
2. crawled under the car and traced the outline onto the cardboard
3. cut cardboard
4. see how resulting template "fit" on the side to be cut
5. found that the result wasn't all that good except in establishing a line for the top curve.
6. traced line for top curve
7. told muffler man to just follow the edge of the existing "outline" that is molded into the panel for the vertical cuts.

Tin snips rule. They are designed for making straight cuts and the panel is not hard to cut. Any roughness in the cut was quickly cured with a plain old half round file.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Since I ordered a redline and it already comes with duals, I don't think I'll make as significant a change as you did but I will seriously consider changing the exhaust tips to the ones you used. They look awesome.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts