Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am taking apart the top half of my engine to replace every gasket I can, the timing chains, belts, and clean any carbon buildup in the head. I'll add resources I find, pictures I take, and lessons learned here.

First I took off the hood, front bumper, and inner fender liners to make it all easier to access.

Random thoughts: Gotta pull the fuel pump fuse, and crank the engine to depressurize the fuel line. The hood is 2 person job no matter how you look at it. The fender liners hold a lot of dirt. The front bumper and fender liners use a bajillion screws. When pulling off vacuum hose, use a flat head screwdriver to slowly wedge it up and away from a connector. You have to move the intercooler tubes aside to remove the airbox. The air dam or funnel for the radiator has a lot of screws holding it in.

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No reason to remove the hood. Everything you mentioned can be accomplished with it installed.
It gives you easy access to the front timing chain cover. I'm also looking at installing an improved radiator (if RPM ever gets back to me).

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
humpty dumpty sat on a wall.....
Fuel line was depressurized with no issues at all.
Here are some update photos.

I started cleaning the front of the head not realizing how much dried oil was there... It was a lot. Unfortunately I had already started cleaning it before grabbing a photo.

I had trouble getting the wires clear, so I kept cleaning... Finally got them free and... Well...
I'm starting to think I have some crazy intuition working on this car.

I'm literally doing this as a preventative measure, and I'm so glad I did. More oil treasures found in and around the turbo.

Thought this was a neat snap as I walked out of the garage for the night.

·
Registered
18,181 Posts
I am fortunate that I have LIMITED engine abilities....my expertise is taking apart the dash only....and other THINGS, leaving those other things to your imagination....good luck.

·
Registered
2008 Saturn Sky Redline
71 Posts
Fuel line was depressurized with no issues at all.
Here are some update photos.

View attachment 115400

View attachment 115401

I started cleaning the front of the head not realizing how much dried oil was there... It was a lot. Unfortunately I had already started cleaning it before grabbing a photo.

View attachment 115402

I had trouble getting the wires clear, so I kept cleaning... Finally got them free and... Well...
I'm starting to think I have some crazy intuition working on this car.

View attachment 115403

I'm literally doing this as a preventative measure, and I'm so glad I did. More oil treasures found in and around the turbo.

View attachment 115404

Thought this was a neat snap as I walked out of the garage for the night.

View attachment 115406
I haven't had this much ambition in 20 years ....

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I haven't had this much ambition in 20 years ....
I feel sorry for you...;)
I take on lots of ambitious projects to keep me busy... While working 2 jobs hahaha. I play too many video games and pick up hobbies to step away from that.

I made my own desk:

I made my own work bench:

I made my own planter boxes:

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Your thread has provided entertainment value to our forum members.
We eagerly await the next chapter in this saga.
It's a real page turner- just say'n.

Hobbies besides my 2 jobs to keep me busy. Hmmm sees steering wheel
floor pedals attachment- I feel the need for speed. Drive it like you stole it
then go build a planter box while taking a break. Wood carving is next up
for me. What should be my next project? A replication of a Sky in teak, maple,
or... in composite decking left over from my backyard build last summer.
Life is good when you have hobbies to take your mind off real world problems
and maybe your boss too?

My yard and car keep me busy most days here. 3 days on the yard, 1 day on
the car, 1 day for recovery, 1 day for important stuff- life- bill paying, stuff around
the house, running around town, and 1 day all to myself- let's take a drive in the Sky.

You're taking on a big project with your car. A leap of faith, a moment of pause
what have I gotten myself into this time in hindsight. You'll be back on the asphalt
soon enough, with a big smile across your face. All your hard work will pay off
when summer driving season gets here- the first drive to the horizon.

We look forward to the day. Then you get to build something new to keep
you busy. Does the wife want a new kitchen? I can do that... I just took
half my motor apart, what's a new kitchen to me phsst- child's play.

LAC

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Slow but steady progress. The turbo is 1 or 2 bolts from coming off, and then I'll be dropping it off at RPM to be rebuilt.

·
Registered
2008 Saturn Sky Redline
71 Posts
I take on lots of ambitious projects to keep me busy... While working 2 jobs hahaha. I play too many video games and pick up hobbies to step away from that.

I made my own desk:
View attachment 115421

View attachment 115422

View attachment 115424

I made my own desk:
View attachment 115421

View attachment 115422

View attachment 115424
Nice work Squilliam! On everything...

OK, now you guys are making me look lazy.... what I meant was I haven't had the ambition to tear down an engine in 20 years, not that I have no ambition at all!! Last year I built a house in the back yard for Grandma and re-landscaped the whole property after building it. I subbed out the excavation, foundation, exterior framing, siding, roofing, windows and doors. The remainder of the house I built and finished by myself including interior framing, insulating, wiring, plumbing, mini spit, sheet rock and mud, finished trim, kitchen, bath and paint porch and stairs. I have no idea if this will work I am attaching a .PDF of pictures of the whole process if anyone is interested.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 115 Posts