Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everyone think about posting specific dealers names/locations and whether they charge a mandatory dealer add-on, related cost, and whether they are charging above MSRP? I would have loved to have this information on hand BEFORE I placed my order....

Two dealers in our area told us that all dealers in our area were charging for mandatory add-ons, but we found one that wasn't. If we had taken the dealer's word for it, we would have probably ordered from the one closest to us and paid the $$$.

My hope is that this could send as much business as possible to the best dealers.

Could be bad idea if someone posts incorrect information....

What does everyone think?

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
I don't like the idea of attributing to a dealership a policy that they do not make in writing. Sometimes salespeople take it on themselves to push the addons as "mandatory" because they get brownie points for doing it, although it may not be a firm dealership policy.

It would be better to let all buyers know that EVERYTHING is negotiable, and that salespeople are salespeople, even at Saturn. My dealer pushed overpriced security engraving and tinted windows as "mandatory addons." I just told them that I want a car without messed up windows, that I think it ruins the car.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're probably right. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
90 Posts
And why exactly can't we bash dealers that are trying to rip us off? I have faithfully bought into the Saturn 'no haggle' philosophy. I have owned 5 now with no complaints. For them to change now because they have a hot car feels a bit like stabbing me in the back.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I didn't say you couldn't "bash" dealers. All I said was that it is up to the Mods to determine if the thread turns in the wrong direction. It isn't an issue with me, I have a great dealer!!!!!!:thumbs: Saturn of Arlington :thumbs: :thumbs:

·
Registered
692 Posts
I'd be more accepting of a little reverse psychology, how about posting the names of the dealerships that DO sell at MSRP? If the name of the dealership you look to buy from isn't on there, well then, I guess you could read between the lines and find the answer.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
If I remember correctly the forum CANNOT post what dealerships sell at MSRP but can post dealerships that screw people over. It has something to do about participating dealerships on the forum. To clarify we can ask Brentil and his word is good as gold on what can be done or not done....Skip....:lol: :lol: Brentil can yall clarify please......

·
Registered
169 Posts
It's simple, ask the dealer . Either call in advance or when you go in. If you want to order, have that included on the paperwork.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Skip said:
If I remember correctly the forum CANNOT post what dealerships sell at MSRP but can post dealerships that screw people over. It has something to do about participating dealerships on the forum. To clarify we can ask Brentil and his word is good as gold on what can be done or not done....Skip....:lol: :lol: Brentil can yall clarify please......
You are mainly correct! As it was explained to me, you can not post any contact info about a dealer even if they are screwing people over. As for dealers that sell at MSRP, they must be supporting vendors.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Thank you Rick. And may your buggy speedily come to your doorstep...Skip...:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
727 Posts
Generally we have frowned on having threads which list dealers good or bad.

Reasons: Posting of "good" dealers to draw business to them is simply against the standing "commercial posting rules."

Posting of "bad" dealers can be misleading. True, in the case of dealers charging over MSRP, there is not much personal opinion and experience involved. They either are or they are not. However, other bad experiences are just anecdotal stories and may not be the same experience for the next potential buyer. Also, the thread will stand for some time. A dealer which may be charging over MSRP today may no longer be doing so next week, but their dealership will be on the list for all time, unless someone checks back with them and ammends the thread.

IMO, we should not have such a thread. It could be misleading, and is potentially against the rules.

If Brentil wants to decide otherwise, that is fine with me too. This is just my preliminary opinion on it based on past Solsticeforum experience. You will just have to wait for him to chime in. :)

·
Registered
478 Posts
Personally, I would love to see such a thread and I hope the site owner considers allowing it. I respect the rules and won't deliberatly violate them, but I feel that working together to track which dealers are doing what would help many people here out and possibly even drive more traffic to the forum, which is a good thing for all concerned.

The internet has changed selling cars dramatically. Better for consumers, bad for dishonest dealers (all makes - I'm not talking Saturn here) who used to depend upon old school tactics.

Knowledge is power. If dealers learn that there is a list of who is selling at MSRP - which really means following Saturn's "no haggle" policy - then maybe they will have an incentive to follow that policy. Plus, the good dealers deserve to be rewarded. Conversely, not having such a thread helps the dealers overcharge.

The bottom line is that such a thread is just a list of who is following Saturn's policy and who is not. I think that's a completely fair thing to track.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
You can just start a thread that you are looking to buy a car in a certain area and have people PM you with any dealer input. I think the mods would be ok with that. They can correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
deluke said:
You can just start a thread that you are looking to buy a car in a certain area and have people PM you with any dealer input. I think the mods would be ok with that. They can correct me if I'm wrong.
Good Idea, that is a solution that would work:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
I apologize for taking so long to get to this thread. I was offline all weekend and was on neither forum.

As mentioned you can always talk about your bad dealings with a dealership, we just ask not to provide lots of information about the dealership. In general a city/dealership name is more then enough for any person to figure out if it's the one they know or not. Also some dealerships have different policies and we might taint a persons view of a place without knowing the complete facts. Like I know some dealerships charge MSRP for orders but if the car comes in and gets rejected and goes on the floor they mark it up. We make a list here stating this dealership is evil bad no-no because they charge over MSRP, but someone could have gotten a car from them for MSRP in reality.

I've gone over the good dealership list question a couple times before so I wont rehash that again. The simple answer is no.

jarcher said:
Personally, I would love to see such a thread and I hope the site owner considers allowing it.
The forum policies are the site owners desires to how the forums should be run. At the SolForum I started a huge list before I was a Mod, and Troy removed it and informed me why. I respect his wishes as the owner and left it at that.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Thank you Brentil and hey dont be off line too much again. We love ya man....Skip...And yes I will remember this time....:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
brentil said:
I apologize for taking so long to get to this thread. I was offline all weekend and was on neither forum.

As mentioned you can always talk about your bad dealings with a dealership, we just ask not to provide lots of information about the dealership. In general a city/dealership name is more then enough for any person to figure out if it's the one they know or not. Also some dealerships have different policies and we might taint a persons view of a place without knowing the complete facts. Like I know some dealerships charge MSRP for orders but if the car comes in and gets rejected and goes on the floor they mark it up. We make a list here stating this dealership is evil bad no-no because they charge over MSRP, but someone could have gotten a car from them for MSRP in reality.

I've gone over the good dealership list question a couple times before so I wont rehash that again. The simple answer is no.

The forum policies are the site owners desires to how the forums should be run. At the SolForum I started a huge list before I was a Mod, and Troy removed it and informed me why. I respect his wishes as the owner and left it at that.
I know there was one dealership that has been discussed here many times, that is charging MSRP for cars that are ordered that have gotten beaten up for putting addons on floor models. However, as far as I know they are not accepting any new orders and are getting cars to put on the floor, while people who put who have ordered are still waiting for there cars.

They may be accepting orders for RedLines I am not sure.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts