Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got on the list today! As he was filling the paper work out he says "Manual or Automatic? This was tough for about a second (I said MANUAL of course), but deep down inside I blinked! My wife was fired up about this car also because it came in an Automatic, but I couldn't do it! She will have to learn on another car or leave it alone! I hope she does not read this LOL!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Mostly because A manumatic will allow you to use the car like a manual and when you are tired of shifting allow you to switch it to Automatic.

Lets face the fact that today's technology is going to obsolete the clutch. The Manumatics can switch much faster than the manuals (limited by the driver). It's just progress.. Fastest racers in the world do nott have a manual transmisions.

·
Registered
432 Posts
sky_vue said:
Mostly because A manumatic will allow you to use the car like a manual and when you are tired of shifting allow you to switch it to Automatic.

Lets face the fact that today's technology is going to obsolete the clutch. The Manumatics can switch much faster than the manuals (limited by the driver). It's just progress.. Fastest racers in the world do nott have a manual transmisions.
as long as there are people out there who like the clutch, and are willing to pay for it, it will still exist.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I don't doubt that the clutch is mans best friend.. I love mine.. but I've also driven some manumatics that gave me better performance than my limited racing experience (none) would allow.

I think that overall there will be a shift in the industry to loose the clutch on most everything except the sports car.

I'm not trying to suggest that I wouldn't get the manual (cause that's what I've asked the dealer for) I just wish they'd offer a manumatic for my lazier days. I can't predict if the future will have a lessening demand for manuals that would eventually not make it cost effective to put anything other than a auto/manumatic transmission in a car.

I'll keep my hopes up that it doesn't happen.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Actually most of the manumatics out there are automatics posing as manual transmissions. A lot of them actually have slower shift times too then a good manual driver. If you want the real deal you have to get one of the systems that's actually a real clutch based system but instead of a clutch pedal it uses the computer/tap shifter to shift the gears and work the clutch. Now what's really going to replace the manual isn't an automatic, it's a dual clutch computer driven automatic like you find in race cars and a lot of high end cars now. I actually think you can get it in some VW/Audi cars now and Merc for sure and some other cars. It has two clutches which have every other gear on one or the other. As the clutch is brought up on one side it comes down on the other side on the next gear pretty much eliminating power loss due to shifting. Unlike CVT transmissions, these can handle excessive amounts of power.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Automatic is for the poor schmucks (like myself) who have no clue how to even drive a stick, so hey, if that means I can at least drive the Sky -- sweet -- though I do realize manuals are much better... I just never learned. :banghead:

·
Registered
250 Posts
brentil said:
Actually most of the manumatics out there are automatics posing as manual transmissions. A lot of them actually have slower shift times too then a good manual driver.
I'm not debating the fact that this is the current truth, there are notable exceptions, the new M5, the RS6, any number of the Ferraris. These are cars with the next generation logic and shift systems. These are the ones that will eventually replace you. (Eventual demise music here)

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
There is no arguing that technology will continue to change how we do everything to include driving. I remember when it was a big deal to get a 5 speed manual instead of a 4 speed manual. Things change and we adapt, but I think it will be awhile before the manumatic becomes common place. They will have to attain a stature of being massed produced and provided by multiple manufactures to drive up competition and lower the current prices.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Well, I had to learn how to drive a manual when I worked at a car dealership back in '99 (stayed until July of '00). No one I know owns a manual, so I haven't driven one since 2000, and even back then I really wasn't too good at it. So long story short, I want my SKY to be equipped with an AUTOMATIC TRANS!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Manuals are typically geared better for engines. Except for the rare exception, auto transmissions typically have fewer and taller gears than their manual counterparts. Therefore, autos typically do not allow the user to maximize the performance out of their engine, especially on smaller, low bhp motors such as the one in the Sky. On a big V8 an auto vs manual isnt as noticeable, but on these cars its huge. So why on earth would someone want less performance for a "manumatic."

The current mentality from many drivers these days really bothers me: "I dont know how to drive a manual so I'll never learn." People should know how to drive. Even if you own an automatic, go learn how to drive a manual. ITS NOT HARD!!! And the only way you will ever learn to be "good" at driving one is to drive one everyday. In a week, it will be like second nature.

I learned to drive a manual by myself on my first car. It took me three cycles of this one light to get through because I kept stalling. I eventually figured it out and was on my way. All of my cars since then have been manual.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Some people because of health reasons cannot use a manual transmission, so making an automatic optional does have some benefits for the handicapped...
but my Sky will be a Manual and will be until I can no longer shift for myself...
the only reason i like a manual in this type of car is that it feels sportier... now if I drove in heavy stop and go traffic every day for more than 15 minutes i would definately want a automatic... (been there done that)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Manuals are typically geared better for engines. Except for the rare exception, auto transmissions typically have fewer and taller gears than their manual counterparts. Therefore, autos typically do not allow the user to maximize the performance out of their engine, especially on smaller, low bhp motors such as the one in the Sky. On a big V8 an auto vs manual isnt as noticeable, but on these cars its huge. So why on earth would someone want less performance for a "manumatic."
That was my point.. today we don't have enough exceptions, but since so many cars will in the furture carry this system it will more than likely become the best way to drive.

Today the exceptions are in the fore front of "drivers cars'. the 2006 M5 is 7 gears manumatic. The 2005 RS6 is 6 gears with dual wet clutch (fastest shifts in the industry). Chryslers 5 speed manumatic on their Hemi products. I'm not saying that currently for a sports car the automatic is better.. I just said it will be a nice option in the future. I've had manuals since I first started driving, it's not hard. But if you've had the chance to drive cars with 5 speed manumatics (specially those with paddles or wheel buttons) it is a very satisfiying experience.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Well, to each they're own. Maybe it's also because I'm lazy I prefer automatic equipped cars (hey, if I'm spending $20k+ on a car, I want it to work for me! :lol: )

Also, this will be a 3rd vehicle in my household, so it won't be used as an everyday driver. It will suit me just fine by jumping in, opening the top, putting it in drive and just cruising and enjoying the scenery rather than worrying about shifiting (and messing the clutch up because I'm learning how to drive a stick). Lillie, I understand where you're coming from, but I will not abuse a SKY just to learn how to drive a stick. Send me your car to learn on and I'll buy a manual equipped SKY, okay! :lol:

·
Registered
39 Posts
if you love your wife more than the car, get an auto so you can both enjoy it.
But if you love the car more than your wife, get a divorce.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts