Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Saturn Sky
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a super clean 2008 Sky with 38K on the clock. The car is in like-new shape and was well taken care of. I only have one issue so far. The rear trunk will not unlock from the glove box button. That circuit seems to be dead. The rear will unlock with my remote but I would feel much better if I ran a mechanical cable from the trunk into the vehicle in the event that the key fob release fails too. I am sure somebody has done the same thing and jury rigged a mechanical release from inside the car. If you have or if there is a post showing how it is done, I would appreciate some feedback.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Your problem is most likely a faulty electrical glove box switch which is a very common problem. Instead of buying a new switch, many Sky and Solstice owners take it apart, clean the contacts, snap it back together, and it's good as new.

There is a manual release method when the top is inside the trunk. You open the silver flipper door, reach in with your hand towards the latch, and pull on the raw cable. Many people are unable to reach it because their arm or hand is too large. I myself can reach it.

·
Registered
2008 Saturn Sky
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your problem is most likely a faulty electrical glove box switch which is a very common problem. Instead of buying a new switch, many Sky and Solstice owners take it apart, clean the contacts, snap it back together, and it's good as new.

There is a manual release method when the top is inside the trunk. You open the silver flipper door, reach in with your hand towards the latch, and pull on the raw cable. Many people are unable to reach it because their arm or hand is too large. I myself can reach it.
Thanks for your response. Next time the top is down I'll look for the "flipper door".

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
This video shows the process of getting into the trunk if either the buttresses or the trunk itself fail to open.

Also, there are a few who have added a connector to the latch that mimics the inner truck pull-tab and placed that extra connector inside the cockpit (behind the drivers seat).

Hopefully someone could link pics or those threads.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
And the door will just flip open? Then you reach for the middle and flip the release?
Yes!

With the convertible top placed in the trunk, the trunk is vulnerable to thefts. But to be honest, few Sky/Solstice owners know that, and thieves don't.

·
Registered
197 Posts
This works great. Ran a braided wire through the seat belt passage behind the drivers seat. Put a ring on the one end to pull the emergency trunk cable and loop the other end, inside trunk to the mechanism. Wire needs to be a 18in. long and you will need two lead crimp clamps. Total cost less then $5. I have a few made up and will take them to NASSAM next week. I will be taking my coupe so won't have wicked there to show folks but could install quickly.
IMG_0848.jpg
IMG_0847.jpg

·
Registered
197 Posts
IMG_0849.jpg
IMG_0850.jpg
IMG_0850.jpg
IMG_0850.jpg
IMG_0849.jpg
IMG_0850.jpg
IMG_0849.jpg
IMG_0850.jpg

Reactions: kappaccino

·
Registered
18,246 Posts
You can use a strong cord also. And u can replace the 3m plastic on your trunk...but u will need a wooden razor and lift it carefully. Purchase a 3M bra that will fit that small area but first trace a template of the piece. A heat gun or hair blower should help it along.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
You can still buy the original buttress protection clear film but the need for it is questionable. I removed my old crusty a year ago with plastic razor blades and kerosene as a penetrating lubricant, polished the paint, and it turned out great. After a failed attempt at installing one clear film, I decide to live without film. I see no potential issue because my snap-down buttresses don't make contact with the body at all.

Another thing I did was replacing the entire tulip assembly with a brand new one, one of my best investments. The car looks awesome again.

·
Registered
2008 Saturn Sky
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It looks beautiful. I love the lines of the Sky. It's really too bad that GM did not continue to update the Sky and keep it in production. Just imagine how it could have evolved into a really interesting American production sports car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts