Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was suprised to read Earnest's post that in it he said he was so glad he got the auto for his turbo car opossed to his manual experience in the base. I'm curious the people who are choosing auto over manual have you always been an auto driver, is your car a daily driver in a congested area. How much time have you spent driving one versus the other. isn't one of the criterea of being a sport car include a manual transmission? thank you for any and all comments. wouldn't it be great to test drive the car before it shows up for delivery so you can avoid second guessing your every descision and waiting so long to see if you were right..

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I was suprised to read Earnest's post that in it he said he was so glad he got the auto for his turbo car opossed to his manual experience in the base. I'm curious the people who are choosing auto over manual have you always been an auto driver, is your car a daily driver in a congested area. How much time have you spent driving one versus the other. isn't one of the criterea of being a sport car include a manual transmission? thank you for any and all comments. wouldn't it be great to test drive the car before it shows up for delivery so you can avoid second guessing your every descision and waiting so long to see if you were right..
I am not against the manual tranny, I have approx. 6 months wheel time in Serenity with the manual tranny. In the base it is great, but you have to understand the automatic works for me in this application because of the way I want to compete with her. Automatic run consistent ET's, manuals have some variation on each pass. This is a generalization, not scientific fact. Unless they have im[proved the manual, when shifting from 2 - 3 you still have to go forward over & then up to 3rd, that one little extra movement is extra tenths of a second.

Right or wrong, I am totally happy with the auto in Mayhem, and no regrets!!
But to each his own, just get out there and drive, in the end that is what it is all about!!!:thumbs:
It is just my opinion and the way I prefer my R/L to be.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
well from what I understand, and correct me if I'm wrong, a properly set up automatic can just about match a very skilled manual driver. Basically, with the automatic, 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are much more consistent and quick. Just stomp and go. However, I do believe that with the manual slightly quicker times can be acheived, but you have to be a pretty skilled driver to do it. On average, the majority of manual drivers would either match, or just slightly lag behind a good auto trans with proper shift points. Where as few manual drivers can actually beat the automatic.

I personally still prefer the manual. Even if I'm not skilled enough (although I'll keep trying and practicing til I am:thumbs: ) it's the experience of driving and control that I love to have when cruising. Some people would argue a roadster just isn't a roadster unless it's manual. It's pretty much just preference in terms of the Sky. Both transmissions are capable of about the same times.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ernest I wasn't saying that your choice or anyone's was wronge at all for choosing an auto get what will make you happy. I'm just trying to benefit from your unique position of having both versions of the car equiped differently

·
Registered
991 Posts
I have chosen a automtic for my RL, why....because that is what I wanted. I chose Midnight Blue for the Color, why.....because that is what I wanted.

This is America and we can do most anything we want to.

Ok, in my opinion, I chose the auto because I do not want shift manually up through 5 gears and back down through 5 gears all day. Don't get me wrong here, I would love a manual for those warm summer days when I want to really play with the car. But not as my everyday driver. Gosh I wish there was an option for a dual gate shifter...now that would be totally cool!!

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
After careful consideration I find myself in the position of having driven a manual tranny my whole life (I have only owned two cars with an auto):confused: and further I'm not very good at it, In fact I am so bad at driving a manual tranmission I specifically ordered a redline with the manual transmission so I could practice everyday over and over in hopes of one day getting it right (practice makes perrfect right:thumbs: ):lol: :lol: :lol:

As a matter of fact I may even need to practice for hours at a time (very grueling work but it is the price to be paid for perfection) :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Reasons why I prefer manual:

*Mechanically simpler. Less to go wrong.
*Better gas mileage. (barely)
*Sense of control.
*Fun factor.

I don't do alot of heavy traffic driving so the constant clutch play isn't a big issue. And on that rare occasion, when you need to, you can jump start your car.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Reasons why I prefer manual:

*Mechanically simpler. Less to go wrong.
*Better gas mileage. (barely)
*Sense of control.
*Fun factor.

I don't do alot of heavy traffic driving so the constant clutch play isn't a big issue. And on that rare occasion, when you need to, you can jump start your car.
I've had to do this twice, once by myself at 2am, haha. Needless to say, it's an interesting experience.:jester:

·
Registered
173 Posts
I like to "drive" a sports car not be driven. If I wanted to be driven I'd get a luxury car that only comes in automatic.....kind of like "Driving Miss Daisy":lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: No offense to all you Automatic's out there. The Sky R/L screams "MANUAL":driving: (even this little guy is shiftingl) lol

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,875 Posts
Is burning out a clutch covered by warranty?

With the 7yr/100.000 mile warranty.... the Auto is fully covered the whole 7 yrs, but if a burnt clutch is not... ya could argue the Auto pays for itself over time (assuming the clutch replacement is around $800... and I wouldnt be surprised if it is, and chances are us manual guys have to replace sometime in 7rs.)

Was auto early on... switched to manual... gonna stick with that as order was picked up.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so for those of us who wan't the car as a sunny day lets get on the road and see what the car can do it's a manual for the every day drivers auto. these comments are not put downs simply my observation. I haven't owned a manual car in 10 years but have been driving trucks with manuals during the same time frame having the manual really helps to control the vehical alot better. Slowing a vehical down in a manual for example is one way you have more control. .02

·
Registered
304 Posts
Auto. Have never driven/learned how to drive manual. If this was a weekened only car then maybe I would have considered learning. But for everyday driving I don't want to have to shift.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've driven a manual for over 15yrs and my manual base Sky for 4 months. When I drove Ernest's Redline yesterday, I don't think I could have shifted as quickly as we were moving and definitely not as smoothly. :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Manual vs Auto

I grew up on a car lot and started driving when I was ten years old (out in the country, but on the roads) back when you could get away with that kind of thing. That was 35 years ago so I've driven lots of both manual and autos and had some very fast of both. If you know how to drive an auto, it can be very exhilarating and just as much fun.

We drove the Aura Friday with the paddle shift auto and how long do you think it will be before I'm trying to put a paddle shift steering wheel on my RedLine? Talk about fun! Why do you think F-1s are shifted this way? Anyway, both are great but you sure can have a lot of fun with an auto, just like you can with a manual. Happy driving to all!:) :cool:

·
Registered
276 Posts
The auto in my RL really shifts nicely. It is NOT a slush box tranny by any means. Shifts are crisp. I had manuals in the 2 Vipers I owned (only way they come) and in about 1/2 of the Vettes I had over the years. Manuals are more fun, but have down sides. Universal joints last a lot longer in auto trans cars. Depending on your driving style, a clutch can last well over 100,000 miles or be burnt out in a few thousand (or sooner !!) When driving an automatic, I have always used 2 feet, one for gas and one to brake. Reaction time is much quicker using this method...something that can't be done with a manual.

Richard

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have used a manual for 30 years in every sports car I have owned (probably15 now). I have no objection to an automatic, however I have never felt the control I have in cornering with an automatic. I cannot remember the last clutch I had to put in, but it was back when they used non hydraulic clutches.

The challange of perfection in shifting is part of the effort of driving, it makes me feel like I am achieving something. Perhaps that is wierd but it is the way I feel about driving the car, I want to feel like I have to think etc when I am behind the wheel. I think it also takes my mind off the other things in my daily life that tend to bring stress, makes me relax and enjoy the daily commute.:cool:

Automatics probably are faster these days, but I did not buy this car for 0 to 60 or quater mile speeds. Back when I grew up where Ernest lives actuallly, there was an out of the way road (no longer is but that is a different story) called Copeland road. We used to run that road to see how well a car could handle. My Trans Am could do the big curves at 90 to 100, my MR2 did it at 110. I would love to take the Sky there someday, but then again these days I think it is way to busy a road with the stadium/Six Flags and I-30 traffic:jester:

So give me the manual transmission for the curves and fun factor, to me driving should be a challange you have to answer to daily.:thumbs:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,875 Posts
Does an auto downshift...or as welll as a manual?

On a highway (65 speed limit) but your stuck behind a sunday driver at 50mph. An opening appears.
With auto, you slam the pedal to pull into opening... sam with manual, but isnt there value to downshifting to hit higher rpms and get moving faster? or does auto do that also?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Gotta have 3 pedals or it aint a real.........

For fun, I asked my local Mercedes dealer what is their ratio of Manuals vs Autos in their SL and SLK's.

They said that 95% of them are Autos as these cars are classified as

"boulevard cars, not sports cars!".

I want a sports car, not a boulevard car!

3 pedals please and thank you!!:thumbs:

My .2c ....:leaving:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts