Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I figured I would start doing a little research on the NJ Lighthouse Cruise idea proposed by ctyankee.

I am proposing the second saturday in May for several reasons:
1 - Should be warm enough by then to enjoy the shore locations.
2 - Should be early enough to avoid most of the summer beach traffic.
3 - Doesn't conflict with any other proposed events that I know of.
4 - 2nd saturday in April isn't good for me for personal reasons (sorry!)

Looking at the map of 11 NJ lighthouses, I don't think we would be able to reach all 11 lighthouses in a single day. I think for this event we should stick to the six southern lighthouses, and maybe do the other five another time, perhaps as an early fall trip.

Here is a map of NJ showing the locations of the lighthouses.

So I would propose trying to visit a selection of lighthouses between #6 and #11.

Here is a list of them, with their addresses,

6 Absecon Lighthouse
31 South Rhode Island Ave.
Atlantic City
(609) 441-9272

7 Hereford Inlet Lighthouse
111 North Central Ave.
North Wildwood
(609) 522-4520

8 Cape May Lighthouse
Cape May Point State Park
Lighthouse Ave.
Cape May Point
(609) 884-5404

9 East Point Lighthouse
East Point Rd. (off Rt. 47)
Heislerville
(856) 327-3714

10 Finns Point Rear Range Light
197 Lighthouse Rd.
Pennsville
(856) 935-1487

11 Tinicum Rear Range Lighthouse
Intersection of Mantua and Second Sts.
Paulsboro
(856) 423-1505

Now I don't know how accessible each of these locations would be. We probably won't be able to hit all six for logistical reasons, such as condition of access roads, parking lot size, etc.

So if anybody on the forum has been to any of these lighthouses, please share what you know about them, and whether you think it would be a good spot for a group of 15 or 20 cars to visit. In the meantime, I will continue with my internet research for now.

Thanks, and I hope you all can make it for this event!

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'll be in Wildwood May 12 for the boardwalk car show, maybe if time permit we can have lunch in Wildwood ?

05/10/2007 - 05/13/2007
15th Annual East Coast Boardwalk Nationals Car Show
On the Boardwalk and at the Wildwoods Convention Center. Open to all years of cars! Fri. & Sat: 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. Cars displayed on the Boardwalk. Free to spectators. Fee for participants. 609.523.8051 or www.ThunderMoto.com

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll be in Wildwood May 12 for the boardwalk car show, maybe if time permit we can have lunch in Wildwood ?

05/10/2007 - 05/13/2007
15th Annual East Coast Boardwalk Nationals Car Show
On the Boardwalk and at the Wildwoods Convention Center. Open to all years of cars! Fri. & Sat: 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. Cars displayed on the Boardwalk. Free to spectators. Fee for participants. 609.523.8051 or www.ThunderMoto.com
Great idea! We can try and fit it into the schedule, as the planning evolves.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Great idea! We can try and fit it into the schedule, as the planning evolves.
dengel,
Don't remember if this was originally in ctyankee's post but here is a link that I got from someone I work with who's into lighthouses,
hope it helps,
http://njlhs.org/njlight/njlights.html

Let me know if you need any assistance with the event.....

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dengel,
Don't remember if this was originally in ctyankee's post but here is a link that I got from someone I work with who's into lighthouses,
hope it helps,
http://njlhs.org/njlight/njlights.html

Let me know if you need any assistance with the event.....
07Bluestone , Thanks for the great link! It has just the kind of info I am looking for.

Took a quick look, and already we can either eliminate or downgrade East Point Lighthouse to just a driveby. According to the Lighthouse webpage, East Point Lighthouse is only open the third Sunday of every month. So we wouldn't be able to visit it on May 12th. Although we may be able to cruise past it on our drive.

·
Registered
535 Posts
07Bluestone , Thanks for the great link! It has just the kind of info I am looking for.

Took a quick look, and already we can either eliminate or downgrade East Point Lighthouse to just a driveby. According to the Lighthouse webpage, East Point Lighthouse is only open the third Sunday of every month. So we wouldn't be able to visit it on May 12th. Although we may be able to cruise past it on our drive.
Glad it was useful, it looked good when I checked it out but wasn't sure if you already had it. Don't forget to call or PM me if you want or need help....

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, a quiet friday afternoon, so I did a little online research.

Out of the six light houses I was looking at for our cruise, three of them are not really open to the public on a regular basis (numbers 9, 10 and 11 on the map in post #1)

The following lighthouses do have regular visiting hours on the weekends in the spring:

Absecon Lighthouse (Atlantic City) #6 on the map
Hereford Lighthouse (North Wildwood) #7 on the map
Cape May Lighthouse (Cape May) #8 on the map

So my question for everyone - Does a run involving only these three lighthouses sound like a full enough day? If we figure we will stop in Wildwood for lunch and the carshow for a few hours, I think it would end up being a pretty full day with just these three. More sightsseeing than driving then I was originally expecting though.

If we want a longer drive, we can still start out at Absecon or one of the other closed lighthouses and just plan to do drive-by type stops at the other ones. It will depend on whether or not there is a parking area for us to gather in if the lighthouses themselves are closed to the public.

So please share your thoughts.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I am curious what is around (10) Finn's Point. I think that could be a good meeting point if we can find a parking lot or something near there. That's just over the bridge from delaware and just to the southern end of 95 for the Jersey Group.

From there we could run out and drive by (9) then down to Cape May(8), up to Wildwood(7) for lunch and hang out at the boardwalk. Then after lunch run up the coast to Atlantic City(7) and head home, or in my case, go win some gas money and probably dinner!

I figure it's probably about 1.5hrs out to the Cape May lighthouse? That's a decently long drive and by the time we get up to Wildwood, it'd be like 3hrs or so ya think? I haven't driven any of those roads but it might be worth a pre-run to scope out some parking lots and timing.

I'm in the middle of helping to plan a wedding now(more like, yes I like that too, whatever you like, etc) Amy and I are now engaged! But perhaps I can find time to take a run out that way on a nice afternoon between now and then if anyone else would like to come with to check it all out?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am curious what is around (10) Finn's Point. I think that could be a good meeting point if we can find a parking lot or something near there. That's just over the bridge from delaware and just to the southern end of 95 for the Jersey Group.

From there we could run out and drive by (9) then down to Cape May(8), up to Wildwood(7) for lunch and hang out at the boardwalk. Then after lunch run up the coast to Atlantic City(7) and head home, or in my case, go win some gas money and probably dinner!

I figure it's probably about 1.5hrs out to the Cape May lighthouse? That's a decently long drive and by the time we get up to Wildwood, it'd be like 3hrs or so ya think? I haven't driven any of those roads but it might be worth a pre-run to scope out some parking lots and timing.

I'm in the middle of helping to plan a wedding now(more like, yes I like that too, whatever you like, etc) Amy and I are now engaged! But perhaps I can find time to take a run out that way on a nice afternoon between now and then if anyone else would like to come with to check it all out?
First off, Congratulations to you and Amy!!! :cheers:

I definitely need to do a pre-run or two to figure out the best route for this run.

I am headed to the NEO/PA start of spring run this weekend, but I am hoping to start planning the lighthouse run beginning of April-ish. I am currently free April 1st, 7th and 8th, so depending on weather, will probably look into doing a pre-run on one of those days.

Let me know when is good for you, and anyone else who wants to come along to help, assistance would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
994 Posts
I left out the CONGRATS!

Hell, I like marriage so much I've done it twice:D Your drinks are on me the next time we get together.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I don't know how I missed this the first time ... CONGRATS! :cheers:

·
Registered
233 Posts
haha, Thanks so much guys! I just slipped that in there to see how many would notice.

Sorry for the hijack tho! I'm really looking forward to this cruise!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay, I am thinking of doing a test run of the driving route for this event on saturday.

I know it is Easter weekend and a lot of folks will be busy, but I figure we need to start planning this cruise, and I don't have a lot of time free over the next few weekends.

If anyone is interested in joining me for all or part of the test run, let me know.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hmm, very tempting. I should go into work for a few hours but I could do that Sunday instead... or something! I'll get back to you fri afternoon :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hmm, very tempting. I should go into work for a few hours but I could do that Sunday instead... or something! I'll get back to you fri afternoon :thumbs:
tyler, what is the current weather forecast down by you? Things are not looking good tomorrow for the southern part of NJ, so I am considering postponing this to another day. Don't know what day yet, I may find I'm not feeling well enough to go to work one day in the next few weeks. ;)

1 - 20 of 60 Posts