Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've been following this car for almost six years now. Way back when it was just the curve concept. I can't believe it's almost time to get it!

Except -- I went to my dealership yesterday to sit in it again and I just plain don't fit. With a manual there's no way to fit with the top up. Normally I would put my foot behind the pedals and then get my knee/leg under the wheel. I just can't do that in the manual though. I'm waiting for an automatic to get delivered to see if it's any better. Even if it is I'm not sure I'm going to get it. Once I'm in it is VERY tight -- to the point my knees are in the dash. :( :( :( I'm so bumed. :( :( :(

Saturn oh Saturn -- why not add 2-3 more inches to this car?

Anyways -- I was browsing this weekend for a comparable replacement to the Sky. As if! ;) But I did find both the BMW Z4 & the Nissan 350Z. Anyone have any thoughts on these two cars? I've never dealt with Nissan -- fairly good company? good service? I've only had Saturns so I'm used to the "Saturn Way".

I'm not sure what I'm going to do though -- right now I'm going to wait till the automatic arrives to see how that feels before giving up my spot but I doubt it will be much better :(

Joseph

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Do you play basketball for USF?

My friend is 6'5" and 220 and when he sat in it he was like "wow, I fit". Make sure you got those seats working right.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Ok, sorry if Im missing the question but I test drove both and no difference in room. Being an auto or stick doesnt change the seating. So Im sorry, but dont understand the question???? :confused:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,570 Posts
agirltrucker said:
Ok, sorry if Im missing the question but I test drove both and no difference in room. Being an auto or stick doesnt change the seating. So Im sorry, but dont understand the question???? :confused:

He wouldn't have to worry about the leg movement as much in an automatic.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
OH,,,, Im a dork. Thanks for explaining that. Brain fart time...:lol:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He wouldn't have to worry about the leg movement as much in an automatic.
That and I would have a little bit of room to stick my feet behind the pedals while getting in. That third pedal makes it a bit difficult. I actually use this "method" when getting into most cars..feet behind pedal, slide in, right foot slides out onto gas...it sounds weird explaining it but it works. :D

Moreover I was looking for any opinons on the 350Z or the BMW Z4 if anyone has driven one.

No I don't play basketball (GO BULLS). LOL I'm 6' 4" but I have very long legs... I've heard of other people my height fitting but for some reason I don't. I triple checked and the seatback was in the full upright position and the seat was all the way back. I tried several different ways and just couldn't get a comfortable fit where I wouldn't bust my knee caps in an accident. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
USFJoseph said:
Moreover I was looking for any opinons on the 350Z or the BMW Z4 if anyone has driven one.
I have driven the Z4 and I must say I was very comfortable for my size. If it wasn't for the super hefty price I would LOVE to have the M version of the Z4!!! I have rode in the pass. side of a 350Z coupe and I was comfortable so I can only assume I would be also comfortable driving one!!!

I'm 6'3", 331 pounds with a 44" waist and 32" inseam. I can fit in the SKY and as you can see from my Signature I'm on the list for the RedLine. I plan in modifying the seat so that I can go further back and further low into the cab to make it more comfortable for me. How am I going to do this? I'm not sure yet but I know I will figure it out. Either by an aftermarket seat or by modifying the OEM seat and make it fit better to me...

Regards,

:willy: BA :willy:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SKY Spy said:
I plan in modifying the seat so that I can go further back and further low into the cab to make it more comfortable for me. How am I going to do this? I'm not sure yet but I know I will figure it out. Either by an aftermarket seat or by modifying the OEM seat and make it fit better to me...
I thought about this but I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to moving a seat. LOL Let me know how this turns out...

·
Registered
75 Posts
USFJoseph said:

I test drove a 350Z convertible and LOVED it!!! Except for the price....more than I wanted to spend for a fun weekend convertible car! In any case I felt it was smaller and tighter fit the 350Z than the SKY.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
USFJoseph said:
I'm 6' 4" but I have very long legs... I've heard of other people my height fitting but for some reason I don't.
That is one thing I have been trying to tell people, it is not as important how tall you are as it is how long your legs are, look at the stats 42.7" for the leg room on the Sky, measure from your foot to your hip, if it isn't shorter than that I would say you won't fit... a Nissan 350Z roadster has .1" of an inch less legroom than the Sky. The BMW Z4 has .7" less than the Sky.... so if you don't fit in the Sky you won't fit in those either.

·
Registered
136 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
That is one thing I have been trying to tell people, it is not as important how tall you are as it is how long your legs are, look at the stats 42.7" for the leg room on the Sky, measure from your foot to your hip, if it isn't shorter than that I would say you won't fit... a Nissan 350Z roadster has .1" of an inch less legroom than the Sky. The BMW Z4 has .7" less than the Sky.... so if you don't fit in the Sky you won't fit in those either.
You're right, it's all about legs.
But being a 6'6" guy with something like a 40" *inseam*, you're wrong about the quoted leg room ;). It actually has absolutely nothing to do with that :p. I'm sure the other tall guys can understand what I'm goin to try to explain, so feel free to chip in. It doesn't have anything to do with the quoted leg room, it has everything to do with the little things.
Here's the best way I can explain it :p To start off with, a comparison

Mazda Miata, quoted leg room "Front Leg Room: 43.1 in. "
Saturn Sky, quoted leg room "Front Leg Room: 42.7 in"
Chevrolet Corvette, quoted leg room "Front Leg Room: 43.1 in"

So .4 inches, granted not alot, but using those numbers, the miata should be at least a SLIGHTLY more comfortable feel for those with long legs? And the corvette should be the same, right? Wrong. I have the longest legs of ANYONE i've ever met. Literally, I've never met anyone that has longer legs than me (including hip bone). So I'm the extreme example :D. Anyways I can't touch the pedals of the miata... literally. Wait I said I was tall right? exactly.. I'm TOO tall, I can't even GET my leg under the steering wheel, it's not possible, no matter what I tried. I was at the auto show, and was like, 'alright for the hell of it, let's try'. I tried EVERYTHING, I couldn't get the damn gas pedal!
What about the corvette? The fit of the corvette is why I have fallen in love with it (more than the Sky sadly :p). I fit like a GLOVE to the corvette. It was PERFECT, no complaints, no NOTHING. I was unable to test drive it, but I know I fit perfectly. In an dout pretty smoothly, but after getting in is when it shone.
The Sky IS a tighter fit, but I was able to turn the steering wheel, get all pedals, and not feel too tight (wasn't able to test drive one yet though).

For us tall guys with long legs, what it actually has to deal with it the little things. the VERY little things that EVERYONE else doesn't think about. Now what's the difference between the cars? Steering wheel adjusting, and seat adjusting. This is what makes or breaks a car when it comes to leg room. It's not a comfort luxury that most view it, it becomes a NECESSITY with a smaller car. And this is why the corvette shines, it has the ability to adjust to pretty much ANYTHING. You can put the seat in any direction, in any fashion, at any angle. same way with the steering wheel, you're able to move it to the perfect angle. The part that KILLS us tall drivers, isn't the length of our legs so much as where our knees are!!. If the knees are in the wrong position in relation to the steering wheel, we can have problems getting in and out,a nd more importantly, problems with the location of our knees to the steering wheel when in the car!!

Oh and for the record, I fit in a Lotus Elise too (and still no miata)

USF joseph, I'm actually downright amazed you don't fit though, like at all? Have you tried getting in with the top down? I thought the same thing as you when I got in, and I asked the salesman to close the roof and I would try. Wasn't any harder, granted at first it was awkward, but i'd imagine in time the process would be sped up as you got used to it. I can fully understand how it may not be comfortable, and you may not want to deal with the hassle. That I can relate and understand, but I'm willing to deal with that hassle, others may not be :) Try some different methods? I know a few of the ones I tried didn't work at all, and quickly found one that 'worked'. Just gotta bend your leg the right way :D

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Freakazoid said:
You're right, it's all about legs.
But being a 6'6" guy with something like a 40" *inseam*, you're wrong about the quoted leg room ;). It actually has absolutely nothing to do with that :p. I'm sure the other tall guys can understand what I'm goin to try to explain, so feel free to chip in. It doesn't have anything to do with the quoted leg room, it has everything to do with the little things.
Here's the best way I can explain it :p To start off with, a comparison
I knew it had to do with legs, having short legs myself it is hard for me to know what the exact problem with legs are so I had to assume some things, I am glad finally someone with long legs spoke up and cleared the matter up some...:thumbs:

·
Registered
136 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
I knew it had to do with legs, having short legs myself it is hard for me to know what the exact problem with legs are so I had to assume some things, I am glad finally someone with long legs spoke up and cleared the matter up some...:thumbs:
lol it's funny, there's this massive lack of knowledge/caring about tall people when it comes to cars.

The short thing is always acknowledge in the reviews I've seen. Typically the seat can go forward and fixes the problem, and if it doesn't, it's mentioned in a review.
But I've gone through ALL the reviews of the cars that have RIDICULOUSLY good leg room, and it's NEVER mentioned, ANYWHERE. Cars like the Honda Prelude, and the Mazda MX-6. So the people, like me, that are looking for a car with good leg room, never find out, because it's never mentioned!!

Darn you short people ;)

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Freakazoid said:
lol it's funny, there's this massive lack of knowledge/caring about tall people when it comes to cars.

The short thing is always acknowledge in the reviews I've seen. Typically the seat can go forward and fixes the problem, and if it doesn't, it's mentioned in a review.
But I've gone through ALL the reviews of the cars that have RIDICULOUSLY good leg room, and it's NEVER mentioned, ANYWHERE. Cars like the Honda Prelude, and the Mazda MX-6. So the people, like me, that are looking for a car with good leg room, never find out, because it's never mentioned!!

Darn you short people ;)
Have you tried a Monte Carlo SS, if I put the seat all the way back in ours I can't touch the pedals...

·
Registered
136 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
Have you tried a Monte Carlo SS, if I put the seat all the way back in ours I can't touch the pedals...
still too young to spend much money on a 4 door ;) (21), i'll remember that for future reference though :D

but that was the case with the mx-6 and the prelude for me just about, the seat the whole way back I was FULLY extended with my legs, and almost felt to the point where I might not be able to touch them! lol

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Freakazoid said:
still too young to spend much money on a 4 door ;) (21), i'll remember that for future reference though :D

but that was the case with the mx-6 and the prelude for me just about, the seat the whole way back I was FULLY extended with my legs, and almost felt to the point where I might not be able to touch them! lol
have you ever seen a Monte Carlo? They have never been 4 doors.. where did you get that idea? the new ones even have a 300 horsepower V8 that gets 28 mpg on the highway....

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
hah, i have no clue why i thought they were a 4 door, i know they're pretty beefy right now, but i still have the image associated with a 4 door, no idea why..... probably cause it's a rather big car :) (imo)

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
USFJoseph -- Let the dream continue -- Easy fix

Come on; a simple surgery -- take 4-6 inches off each ankle. :jester:
It aint a dream worth having if you're not willing to bleed for it!!:thumbs:

:D

·
Registered
136 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
Come on; a simple surgery -- take 4-6 inches off each ankle. :jester:
It aint a dream worth having if you're not willing to bleed for it!!:thumbs:

:D
LOL, actually I was just thinking about cutting out the whole knee problem altogether... literally ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts