Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
4,876 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
And I still could not comfortably sit inside of it:nono: :nono: :nono: I don't think you need an auto roof when you could just flip it over your head easy enough. I think Mazda is seeing the end of their roadster streak and is trying to out do GM.

·
Registered
422 Posts
ranps1 said:
And I still could not comfortably sit inside of it:nono: :nono: :nono: I don't think you need an auto roof when you could just flip it over your head easy enough. I think Mazda is seeing the end of their roadster streak and is trying to out do GM.
They don't do that to have an auto roof, it is made for customers who prefer a steel top instead of cloth.
Mazda has sold more then 750,000 cars since 1989 - it will be a long way for GM to catch them. Nearly impossible, Mazda will produce ~ 40,000 MX5 this year, thats similar to GM's Kappas.

·
Registered
820 Posts
C20LET_50 said:
They don't do that to have an auto roof, it is made for customers who prefer a steel top instead of cloth.
Mazda has sold more then 750,000 cars since 1989 - it will be a long way for GM to catch them. Nearly impossible, Mazda will produce ~ 40,000 MX5 this year, thats similar to GM's Kappas.
I still have to say it does look aweful suspicious. Hey, anyone think it will still beat the base sky 0-60? I'm betting it won't.....:lol:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
Yeah and a base price of $35,000
Actually, they're saying that it should only cost about $2000 for this option so someone could probably buy a sport model with power hard top for around $25K. Mazda is expected to unveil their new power retractable hard top model at the British Motor Show on July 18. I believe there are nearly 31 new cars being announced at that particular show.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
T-Hawk said:
Actually, they're saying that it should only cost about $2000 for this option so someone could probably buy a sport model with power hard top for around $25K. Mazda is expected to unveil their new power retractable hard top model at the British Motor Show on July 18. I believe there are nearly 31 new cars being announced at that particular show.
The reviews I have read on the MX-5 say the 2007 base price was 35,K and as shown (in their review) $37,500

·
Registered
9 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
Yeah and a base price of $35,000
That was a Canadian article using Canadian dollars. The MX-5 w/power hard top is expected to sell for about 10% more than a similarly equipped soft top model in the United States. Using that basis, you could buy a fully loaded Grand Touring MX-5 with power hard top for under $30K USD, and several thousand cheaper if you chose the Touring or Sport models.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
T-Hawk said:
That was a Canadian article using Canadian dollars. The MX-5 w/power hard top is expected to sell for about 10% more than a similarly equipped soft top model in the United States. Using that basis, you could buy a fully loaded Grand Touring MX-5 with power hard top for under $30K USD, and several thousand cheaper if you chose the Touring or Sport models.
OK...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ernest said:
Think of the added weight an auto top system adds, man that sure will slow it down a might!!
Mazda press release came out today. The new power hard top model uses lightweight materials and is only 37 kilos (approx 80 pounds) heavier than a similarly equipped soft top model. The power top also folds behind the seats in 12 seconds, does not take any trunk space, and maintains excellent weight balance since it's stored within cabin. Pretty ingenious, actually.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
T-Hawk said:
Mazda press release came out today. The new power hard top model uses lightweight materials and is only 37 kilos (approx 80 pounds) heavier than a similarly equipped soft top model. The power top also folds behind the seats in 12 seconds, does not take any trunk space, and maintains excellent weight balance since it's stored within cabin. Pretty ingenious, actually.
You do loose the cuby space behind the seats though.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Like I posted on the Solsticeforum:
Great idea! Ingeniously designed to not take up trunk space, and weigh as little as it does! (81.5#)

But Mazda needs to put the 260 hp/280 ft-LB MZR 2.3-liter DISI turbo from the Mazdaspeed 3 in this car (combined with the sweet 6-speed) before GXP or RL owners might be tempted to look past the dull exterior and go for that motor and that folding hardtop!

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Axel said:
look past the dull exterior
You can't call the Mazda dull. That might offend the feelings of a Mazda owner that was visiting this forum.

Be nice. All cars are equally good.

·
Registered
342 Posts
jdigiant said:
You can't call the Mazda dull. That might offend the feelings of a Mazda owner that was visiting this forum.

Be nice. All cars are equally good.
maybe if I just drew a picture? :D

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Axel said:
maybe if I just drew a picture? :D.
Keep doing that and you will get a warning that you will be banned. Just trying to protect you. I never saw it coming.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Axel said:
Like I posted on the Solsticeforum:

Great idea! Ingeniously designed to not take up trunk space, and weigh as little as it does! (81.5#)

But Mazda needs to put the 260 hp/280 ft-LB MZR 2.3-liter DISI turbo from the Mazdaspeed 3 in this car (combined with the sweet 6-speed) before GXP or RL owners might be tempted to look past the dull exterior and go for that motor and that folding hardtop!
I agree that the new power hardtop may not appeal to the pure performance enthusiasts and they can continue to buy whatever they choose and modify to their heart's content. It looks like Mazda's power hard top is bringing new buyers, especially in Europe where hard tops are more common on roadsters. I saw where the UK put up a pre-order web site for 200 to be ready by December. Japan web site for new roadster is also up. I haven't seen anything on Mazda's USA web site yet but there seems to be a lot of interest from people living in the northern and midwestern parts of the country.

·
Registered
422 Posts
MX5 CC (Coupé-Cabrio)

T-Hawk said:
I agree that the new power hardtop may not appeal to the pure performance enthusiasts and they can continue to buy whatever they choose and modify to their heart's content. It looks like Mazda's power hard top is bringing new buyers, especially in Europe where hard tops are more common on roadsters....
Mazda is going to compensate decreasing market shares in the USA with increasing activities in Europe.
I notice more sales promotion in Germany for the MX5 NC SoftTop then in the last years.

The Coupé-Cabrio is a parallel activity, especially in Europe there is a high demand in automatic hard tops and this market segment is growing further on (Mercedes SLK, Peugeot 206/306CC, VW EOS, Ford FocusCC, Opel TigraTT, AstraTT....). Mazda will get a market share in this segment.

Here are new pictures found in yesterdays "Autobild"

MX5_CC_closed.jpg . . . MX5_CC_trunk.jpg

It seems there is a proper trunk space left with the top down.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts