Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I guess that I am developing a pet peeve. Why do they compare the Kappa to a crossover or SUV instead of a motorcycle? A lack of storage space seems to be the main complaint. How does the Kappa storage compare to saddle bags? How about comparing a convertible top to a rainsuit? It is more like, my god! I have to get out of the car instead of pushing a button to open the top. It is just way too much effort for my feeble body! It is killing me! The nonsense that is being thrown at these engineering marvels is upsetting. Then some @$$ states that after 125,000 miles or more that there was some minor deterioration happening as compared to his brand new overpriced whatever. How about looking at it from a safety perspective? Is a motorcycle safer than a Kappa?

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
When the Sky was introduced...many magazines did similiar comparisons....they all fail to realize that this is not the family car...it really has to do with paid advertisement they receive from auto manufacturers....calm down! Remember, our cars are our TROPHYS.

·
Super Moderator
5,519 Posts
The media has been down on the Kappa since its introduction. Some of the negative press has been justified while much of it has not. Some of it was just incorrect and was based on the writer's idea of what it appeared to be rather than what it was, colored by there misconceptions of what is actually better and what is perceived to be better.

Most of us have learned to ignore the press, improve those things we can change, and accept the rest. The rest have moved on to something that suits them better.

As far as the saddle bag comparison, a Harley riding friend and I compared luggage space after i got my first one and determined that his saddle bags did have more room than my trunk with the top down, so that one is fairly legitimate.

The top comparison is generally with the Miata, and it is more involved since the Miata can be put up or down while sitting in the driver's seat. This is a legitimate comparison that is a big deal if you are trying to find faults and not such a big deal if you don't care. I guess that applies to all of the cars "shortcomings".

It really all comes down to what is important to the individual and what isn't.

I would not trade my Sky for anything (within reason) but I have never recommended that anyone I know should get one.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wonder what the saddle bag comparison would be with the rain gear as contents.

·
Super Moderator
5,519 Posts
I wonder what the saddle bag comparison would be with the rain gear as contents.
We didn't take it quite that seriously, although my recollection is that my trunk was actually smaller than his saddlebags, so that may have evened it out.

Who cares what those assclowns think?
Thats what i was trying to say, albeit with a bit more delicacy.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have to say, when most other convertibles drive by I pretty much know instantly what it is. Just another me too car. When a Sky drives by I think most people say Wow that is sharp! What is that! I used to get that same reaction years ago when I had my Alfa Romeo. It may be due to the limited number of them on the road. These cars were hear turners when they came out and still are today!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Who cares what reviews say unless they are pointing out some legitimate dependability issue. Many of the authors are idiots - comparing a sports car to a barge like a two ton pony car or (laughably) an SUV - see that and close the review, no point going any further. Thy clearly lack any understanding of what sports cars are and what they are intended to do.

If you read all of the reviews made at the time they cars were new, you'll see reviews that even copy misinformation contained in previous reviews - obvious cribbing to avoid doing any real research.

Having made that assessment of most reviewers long ago, I no longer get irked when I see the nonsense that passes as the fool-fodder that pays their wages. Although I must say that when I see the rare review written by someone that seems to actually understand what a sports car is and is not supposed to be able to do, it is a pleasant surprise.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I have to get out of the car instead of pushing a button to open the top. It is just way too much effort for my feeble body! It is killing me!

This is my favorite reason for loving my SKY: Snowflake lazy people don't don't want to put forth any effort. I'm glad they are too weak to own one.

·
Registered
305 Posts
We owned a 2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder for a few years. That was a sweet little ride. The trunk in that car was a very small lockable compartment located behind the seats. Any Kappa, but especially the Solstice without the trunk lid supports, beats the Spyder's storage hands-down. It would be interesting to read reviews of the MR2 Spyder to determine if there were similar complaints concerning storage. That would determine how bias the media is.

We towed the Spyder on a few trips out west behind our motor home. When we went out for the day sight-seeing, the day-cooler stayed on the floor in front of my wife's short legs and it worked out very nicely. It did have a more passenger floor room than our Sky has.

I debate whether I want to setup the Sky for RV towing. A tow bar kit is available, application for the manual transmission. CLICK HERE to see one setup.

·
Super Moderator
5,519 Posts
We owned a 2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder for a few years. That was a sweet little ride. The trunk in that car was a very small lockable compartment located behind the seats. Any Kappa, but especially the Solstice without the trunk lid supports, beats the Spyder's storage hands-down. It would be interesting to read reviews of the MR2 Spyder to determine if there were similar complaints concerning storage. That would determine how bias the media is.

We towed the Spyder on a few trips out west behind our motor home. When we went out for the day sight-seeing, the day-cooler stayed on the floor in front of my wife's short legs and it worked out very nicely. It did have a more passenger floor room than our Sky has.

I debate whether I want to setup the Sky for RV towing. A tow bar kit is available, application for the manual transmission. CLICK HERE to see one setup.
Oh, there is definite bias. This 2000 C&D review of the MR2 mentions luggage space like it doesn't matter, and cockpit noise like it is a good thing: 2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

I would not flat tow a Kappa. The front overhang is so bad that you will destroy the nose of the car eventually if not sooner. Trailering it would be a much preferable option.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I was driving a 2000 Honda Insight with my wife on a road trip when we pulleg up next to a couple on a Harley at the gas pump. The guy asked me what gas mileage I got amid comments that his bike was bigger, had more storage, and got 45 mpg. I told him I got 60 MPG and had airconditioning. As we pulled away I remarked to my wife that those dark thunderheads would take some if the fun out of his ride....lol

·
Registered
344 Posts
I agree that the Saturn Sky is a trophy. And it turns heads.

The Sky sounds cool and it's fun to drive.

It's not too over the top either. Not like a 97 camaro with magnaflows.

Not pretentious - like a car that sold for 80,000$ new.

Probably the reason not to own a sky is a reason isn't one that's never cited...

That you'll fall in love with the styling and end up putting money into customizing it.

I've probably put 6,000$ into cool stuff like a pioneer gps, powerful speakers and Opel customization.

The car cost 7600$ in 2017. It's paid for now.

I get that for 13,600$ you can buy a pretty nice car. Maybe a 2006 corvette. But eh, I don't have any regrets.

Yeah. If you own a Sky you should own a beater. The Sky is not for everyone. It's not for most people.

But if you own one - you probably take car of it and love it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Who cares? The negative leaning reviews help keep prices low.... If you're trying to sell your kappa you deserve the low exit price! ;)

But really... Who cares? Is the storage space abysmal... Yes. Are there rattles... Yes. Are the cup holders some of the weakest you've seen.... Yes. Is the shifter designed in a stupid way that doesn't allow easy replacement.... Yes. Is it common to fix your car using parts bought at Home Depot.... Yes. Do any of these things stop you from wanting to go jump in the car every chance you get?....Probably not.

So.... Who cares what the media (or, frankly, anyone) thinks?
I like my street-legal go-cart with AC, so I certainly don't care about someone's negative comments. They can keep their anemic, commonplace Mazdas and Hondas.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts