1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have no racing experience, besides loving to watch races, so I am a complete layman, but I found your concise comments to be absolutely Spot On! Especially this part...

snaponbob said:
All this uproar over a car that Motor Trend, Road & Track, Car & Driver, etc., said could not run with an MX5. Huh? And the MX5 can't run with a 99 Miata? I can't wait until my Redline shows up. :D The S2000 forum (is there one?) will explode!
I think it was a valid reality check for all those folks who are terrified at the prospect of the Miata's 6 year dominance coming to an end.

The whining of "cost" related issues is especially absurd and laughable. If racing wasn't expensive we would ALL be involved in it. And basing your argument on being able to race competitively with an 8-year old used car is completey fecetious. It was a nice bonus while it lasted, but it is NO reason to move a competing car out of a given racing class.

All I would hope for the Solstice and Sky is to receive the respect the car deserves from the people on the Miata forum, and the respect GM deserves for having the guts to build it and build it right.

I can understand their trauma. They worship the 99 Miata because it has been so dominant for so long, because Mazda has refused to sell a stock Miata as good.

I like reading FastMike's posts because they are interesting, the tone is high-brow and he puts his money where his mouth is. It sounds like you have "been there and done that" as well, and deserve a good measure of respect.

I will say this - it is ironic that after reading for 2 years on that forum what ill-handling, overweight pigs the Solstice and Sky were SURE to be, they now act as if the cars are the 2nd coming and the MX-5 can't handle worth crap by comparison. My question to them is, which is it? Are the Sol and Sky still overweight pigs or do they finally respect these cars as the fine handling, well balanced sports cars they are.

From all that whining about the Solstice's being a lock to dominate C-stock, it appears they are giving the cars the lofty respect they deserve.

2 years ago I would have been laughed off that forum if I even dared to suggest they would be having this discussion today. Just wait until I can post some road test results of the Solstice GXP at www.s2ki.com. Many there see the Solstice as being completely outclassed by the s2000. They are in for a rude awakening, and I've been warning them that day is coming.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow !!!!!! They are touchy over there. :willy:

Based on what is a) actually happening, and b) what MAY be happening in SSB road racing and SCCA Solo ll, it certainly seems like GM has hit a home run. And I don't think that the Kappa was born just to stir up SCCA.

Objectively speaking, I got a little jacked up because they were lashing out at some people at SCCA that I have known in the past. I am sure that S2000 guys will be just as upset if the GXP and Redline does well in Solo A/Stock. It speaks volumes for the viability of the Kappa platform, even if it is trunk/gauge/cupholder challenged!!!!

·
Super Moderator
11,488 Posts
I'm certainly not bashing the Miata. It's a nice car (not for me mind you) and has aged well. However, I do take a certain amount of pride at seeing the Solstice guys (and maybe someday some Skys) doing so well against them after reading all the articles that stated the Solstice handled almost as well as the Miata MX5...which most Miata owners will tell you is inferior to the 99 Miata Sport used in Solo. So I'm not so much for bashing the Miata, but rather all those writers who gave the Sol subpar marks against the MX5.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
snaponbob said:
I am sure that S2000 guys will be just as upset if the GXP and Redline does well in Solo A/Stock. It speaks volumes for the viability of the Kappa platform, even if it is trunk/gauge/cupholder challenged!!!!
Seems the C4 Corvette guys are the main ones to be upset too. A-Stock seems to be very heavily dominated by the C4's along with the S2000.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
The Club Sport Z0K is really the main thing that causes most people to question the Solstice's classification. The addition of the Sports Suspension as a Stock item (not available Stock on the Sky though) drastically changes the Solstices auto-x and road racing capabilities.

·
Registered
1 Posts
jimbo said:
I have no racing experience, besides loving to watch races, so I am a complete layman. Just wait until I can post some road test results of the Solstice GXP at www.s2ki.com. Many there see the Solstice as being completely outclassed by the s2000. They are in for a rude awakening, and I've been warning them that day is coming.
Come on now buddy....seriously. Most people at s2ki.com are excited to see what the Solstice/SKY GXP is capable of. No one really cares what the normal Solstice/SKY can do since they are grossly underpowered, let alone bragging about how the s2k outclasses them:rolleyes: .

I personally am looking forward to seeing the results of the new GXP versions and what people on these types of forums are able to do with the turbo. Styling wise...I am not sold on either the sky or solstice. I can't stand the SKY's chrome lights all over the front and the Solstices' grill will probably never grow on me. Does this mean I can't appreciate the performance value and have to hate my car if they prove to be a smidge faster stock?...obviously no. I can't imagine anyone not being happy with any of the 3 cars.:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1FERRIS said:
Come on now buddy....seriously. Most people at s2ki.com are excited to see what the Solstice/SKY GXP is capable of. No one really cares what the normal Solstice/SKY can do since they are grossly underpowered, let alone bragging about how the s2k outclasses them:rolleyes: .

I personally am looking forward to seeing the results of the new GXP versions and what people on these types of forums are able to do with the turbo. Styling wise...I am not sold on either the sky or solstice. I can't stand the SKY's chrome lights all over the front and the Solstices' grill will probably never grow on me. Does this mean I can't appreciate the performance value and have to hate my car if they prove to be a smidge faster stock?...obviously no. I can't imagine anyone not being happy with any of the 3 cars.:thumbs:
I have a Redline on order as a toy, a four wheeled motorcycle, and to autocross in A Stock. It should work there very well. The S2000 has a tremendous amount of things going for it, and against the Redline/GXP it will have some "issues". The Kappa turbos produce huge torque :eek: (260 lbs-ft) from 2200-5400 rpm which will allow them to be run everywhere in second gear while an S2000 has about 165 peak torque. In order for an S2K to really lay down quick times it requires some really smooth gear selection. From my Sky test drives and watching some very well driven S2Ks in the KC area I think that the Honda may be more refined and agile. Of course, BOTH cars will have the hands full against well driven C4's!!! 2007 may be very interesting in A/S. :drool:

Now for the REALLY important issues! The Redline headlight bezels are black (not chrome) and the ugly chrome bar in the grill is easily removed. :willy: :cheers: :willy:

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Saw a thread on the Miata forum that was interesting. Seems like many C/S Miata hot shoes are now showing up with Solsti. Solstices cleaned up at the Divisionals at Heartland Park Topeka last week. A/S will be a tougher challenge for the Redline but I can't wait.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
deluke said:
I love it. And your right about the Red Line and GXP it will blow them away.
Oh god, I hope so!! Now can I do it?!?!?! We'll see next year, huh?

·
Registered
342 Posts
I posted this earlier on the Solstice forum...

Autoblog Posted Aug 9th 2006 5:58PM

Pontiac's newest offering to the convertible market has been gaining more traction (pun intended) in the world of motor sport. Nowhere is that pervasiveness being felt more than in the Showroom Stock B (SSB) class of the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA). Before 2006, the top slots were dominated by the likes of Mazda and Toyota, with the Miata (MX-5) being one of the most popular choices for weekend racers. That paradigm has begun to shift and in turn, the number of Solsti competing in the SSB Class has quadrupled, from one to four, within the last few months.

At the head of this onslaught is Andrew Aquilante, an 18-year old rookie who claimed his first victory at Lime Rock on July 30th and then proceeded to sweep the Northeast Division championship this past weekend at the Pocono International Raceway. Aquilante's Solstice is running the factory installed Z0K Club Sport package that includes upgraded brakes, an LSD and the FE3 suspension kit.

Although not up to Spec Miata numbers yet, it seems the Solstice is proving to be a serious contender for the disposable income of many aspiring racers.

Pontiac Solstice Wins First SCCA Divisional Championship with Showroom Stock B Sweep at Pocono

Second Solstice Sets New Track Record for an SSB Lap and Finishes Second in Both Races

WARREN, Mich. – It was a banner weekend for the Pontiac Solstice at Pocono International Raceway as Andrew Aquilante won both races of the Tri-Region August Double National, clinching the first-ever Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) Northeast Division championships for the Solstice and himself in the Showroom Stock B (SSB) class. A second Solstice driven by Don Knowles set a new track record for an SSB lap with a time of 1:54:555 on Saturday, and finished second in each race.

Debuting in SSB for 2006 and racing on Aug. 5-6 in Long Pond, Penn. , the Solstice again prevailed over its key competitors from Mazda and Toyota , and each race featured close nose-to-tail racing on both afternoons. Both races also included a third Solstice driven by GM quality engineer Alan Yankielun, which marks the first time three Solstices have competed in the same race event.

"The Solstice has become very formidable in only its first season of SSB," said GM Performance Division executive John Heinricy. "With a Divisional Championship under its belt as well as two track records for the fastest SSB lap, Solstice heads to the National Championship Runoffs in Topeka this October looking to maintain its edge."

In seven national SSB races this season driving the Solstice, Aquilante set the fastest lap four times and finished no lower than fourth, including the two wins at Pocono and two wins at Lime Rock.

Combined with Knowles' record lap time (1:54:555) on Saturday at Pocono, the Solstice now holds two track records for the fastest SSB lap, which includes a time of 1:18:811 set by Aquilante at Nelson Ledges in Garrettsville, Ohio on May 28.

The Pontiac Solstice will next race at the SCCA National Championship Runoffs at Heartland Park in Topeka , Kansas on October 9-15. Aquilante, Knowles and Stan Czacki of the Rocky Mountain Division are all expected to race their Solstices in Topeka , and will join a formidable contingent of GM vehicles competing for National Championships.

The Solstices are all equipped with the Z0K Club Sport regular production order option package, which is designed for the weekend racer and currently available to order through any Pontiac dealership.

Developed by GM Performance Division, the Club Sport package features the standard five-speed manual transmission along with antilock brakes (ABS), a limited-slip differential, an improved power steering cooler and FE3 suspension. The FE3 suspension will be standard on the upcoming 2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP.

No other options are available when ordering the Club Sport Solstice, but some components and safety equipment are required by SCCA to make it track ready, including a hardtop, racing tires, higher friction brake pads, rollcage, seatbelts, etc.

Aquilante is the 2004 Northeast Division Rookie of the Year and 2005 Philadelphia Region Driver of the Year. He is also the two-time defending Northeast Division Touring 1 (T1) champion for 2004 and 2005 driving a Corvette C5 Z06.

GM Performance Division develops compelling, low volume, high-performance production and specialty vehicles, including the 205 hp Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged, 395 hp Chevy Trailblazer SS and 400hp Chevy SSR; the 400 hp CTS-V, 469 hp STS-V and 443 hp XLR-V from the Cadillac V-Series; and the 205 hp Saturn ION Red Line.

General Motors Corp. (NYSE: GM), the world's largest automaker, has been the global industry sales leader for 75 years. Founded in 1908, GM today employs about 327,000 people around the world. With global headquarters in Detroit , GM manufactures its cars and trucks in 33 countries . In 2005, 9.17 million GM cars and trucks were sold globally under the following brands: Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, GM Daewoo, Holden, HUMMER, Opel, Pontiac, Saab, Saturn and Vauxhall. GM operates one of the world's leading finance companies, GMAC Financial Services, which offers automotive, residential and commercial financing and insurance. GM's OnStar subsidiary is the industry leader in vehicle safety, security and information services. More information on GM can be found at www.gm.com
http://www.autoblog.com/2006/08/09/solstice-a-formidable-opponent-at-scca/

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a question concerning purchase down the road in a year or two of either a Solstice GXP or a Saturn Redline. I want it as the daily driver but also as an autocrosser. Is the SOL the better of the two for racing purposes or are they pretty much the same except exterior aesthetics? My neighbors HondaS2000 by the way does extremely well at autocross events and has never been in the shop for warranty issues, other than just normal services. My SSR has been in for numerous warranty issues but I still love it to death. Just love the roar of that huge V8! Thanks for your input.:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I moved from Chesapeake 2 years ago. Hopefully you are taking the SSR to the Chevy dealership on Va. Beach Blvd in Norfolk, and not the clowns in Greenbrier. The latter could screw up a tire pressure check. Been there with my 97 Chev van.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
cruzned said:
I have a question concerning purchase down the road in a year or two of either a Solstice GXP or a Saturn Redline. I want it as the daily driver but also as an autocrosser. Is the SOL the better of the two for racing purposes or are they pretty much the same except exterior aesthetics? My neighbors HondaS2000 by the way does extremely well at autocross events and has never been in the shop for warranty issues, other than just normal services. My SSR has been in for numerous warranty issues but I still love it to death. Just love the roar of that huge V8! Thanks for your input.:thumbs:
They're pretty much the same unless you get a Solstice Z0K.

·
Registered
80 Posts
SnaponBob: I agree, I used the folks at Chesapeake for a while and they did not do well on my SSR. After they rotated the tires (I have 20's on the back and 19's on the front) I decided to go with Colonial chevrolet and they have been terrific. Knowledgable staff there for sure, unlike Chesapeake.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
cruzned said:
SnaponBob: I agree, I used the folks at Chesapeake for a while and they did not do well on my SSR. After they rotated the tires (I have 20's on the back and 19's on the front) I decided to go with Colonial chevrolet and they have been terrific. Knowledgable staff there for sure, unlike Chesapeake.
Exactly what I experienced. Colonial is a Hendricks dealership.

Are you SERIOUS about the tire rotation?? OMG. AMAZING. But I know who the owners are, and it actually is believable.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I posted this earlier on the Solstice forum...

Autoblog Posted Aug 9th 2006 5:58PM

Pontiac's newest offering to the convertible market has been gaining more traction (pun intended) in the world of motor sport. Nowhere is that pervasiveness being felt more than in the Showroom Stock B (SSB) class of the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA). Before 2006, the top slots were dominated by the likes of Mazda and Toyota, with the Miata (MX-5) being one of the most popular choices for weekend racers. That paradigm has begun to shift and in turn, the number of Solsti competing in the SSB Class has quadrupled, from one to four, within the last few months.

At the head of this onslaught is Andrew Aquilante, an 18-year old rookie who claimed his first victory at Lime Rock on July 30th and then proceeded to sweep the Northeast Division championship this past weekend at the Pocono International Raceway. Aquilante's Solstice is running the factory installed Z0K Club Sport package that includes upgraded brakes, an LSD and the FE3 suspension kit.

Although not up to Spec Miata numbers yet, it seems the Solstice is proving to be a serious contender for the disposable income of many aspiring racers.

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/08/09/solstice-a-formidable-opponent-at-scca/
You mentioned that the Z0K had upgraded brakes, I thought they were identical to the base sol?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts