Saturn Skyline Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
MX5 vs. Kappa's

Good article. I'll bet the Sky will also out sell the miata after a full year also.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061214/FREE/61211012/1024/MICROSITE
The MX5 is still the number one worldwide:

MX5 production 2006 ~ 48,000 units (PRHT included)
Kappa production 2006 ~ 35,000 units (Sol, Sky, Opel)

Both manufactures sell/will sell worldwide, so IMO it's not correct to have a look only in one area of the world.

With the Kappa's there was the first US manufactured roadster at the price level of the Mazda; therefore Mazda lost several roadster customers changing to GM. Same in Europe, there are a lot of people which never buy foreign cars.
As Bob Lutz said: the roadster market is limited.....

Mazda could see this developement and they tried to force their sales in other parts of the world.
One reaction could be the new hardtop version which ought to increase sales especially in Europe where retractables are very common. Time will show...

BTW we discussed something similar some days ago in this thread

http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/showthread.php?p=140865#post140865

MX5 long time production and sales charts are included.

Anyway the MX5 is very dependable because the long years of production experience, but the Sol and the Sky are the better looking cars :thumbs:

·
Registered
17,329 Posts
figures don't lie but liers figure...now back to reality...the Miata is a better built car...and hopefully, one day GM can make that claim....

·
Registered
422 Posts
...the Miata is a better built car...and hopefully, one day GM can make that claim....
:agree: The Miata's of the first years (NA) also had some quality problems.
If GM puts some more energy in solving the quality problems of the Kappa's, they could outrun the MX5 worldwide :D

·
Registered
426 Posts
:agree: The Miata's of the first years (NA) also had some quality problems.
If GM puts some more energy in solving the quality problems of the Kappa's, they could outrun the MX5 worldwide :D
they will never outrun the Miata worldwide unless they dramatically change the plant. They can not make more than 40k cars per year there.

·
Registered
422 Posts
they will never outrun the Miata worldwide unless they dramatically change the plant. They can not make more than 40k cars per year there.
The difference is not such big: the average production at the MX5 plant was ~ 44,000 cars per year, but the plant is high flexible, they easily can build 60,000 units.

What I meant is they won't buy the cars if they can't sell. If you look at the last years production there where also years much lower then 40,000 units

2001 38.870
2002 40.754
2003 30.106
2004 24.232
2005 29.950
2006 48.000 (estimated)

The better car will make the race :thumbs:

·
Registered
11 Posts
The difference is not such big: the average production at the MX5 plant was ~ 44,000 cars per year, but the plant is high flexible, they easily can build 60,000 units.

What I meant is they won't buy the cars if they can't sell. If you look at the last years production there where also years much lower then 40,000 units

2001 38.870
2002 40.754
2003 30.106
2004 24.232
2005 29.950
2006 48.000 (estimated)

The better car will make the race :thumbs:
Nico:
Your command of English is impressive if you are native to Germany.
We have American born 3rd generation people who can't speak or write as well.
Press one for English.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Nico:
Your command of English is impressive if you are native to Germany.
We have American born 3rd generation people who can't speak or write as well.
Press one for English.
Oh... thanks.
But it's with a little help of a good german online dictionary:

http://dict.leo.org/

You can use it in both directions. The only problem is it doesn't speak southern :D so I have to try to imagine which word the sound could mean. Sometimes it worked out - sometimes not :confused:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Oh... thanks.

You can use it in both directions. The only problem is it doesn't speak southern :D so I have to try to imagine which word the sound could mean. Sometimes it worked out - sometimes not :confused:
Nico, I speak southern redneck real well and I will interpret it if you want..Skip..And clear is moonshine...Hey Nico, Merry Christmas to you ....:) :)

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Oh... thanks.

Ausgezeichnet

·
Registered
422 Posts
Roadster market (MX5 vs. Kappa and others)

Back to the real business again, I just found the production numbers of the (no longer being produced) Z3 and Z3 Coupe:

In the total production range between 1996 and 2002 there run of the plant

Z3...........279,273
Z3 Coupe...17,815

Within 7 years total product time that is an average of ~ 42,500 cars per year.
I didn't find the Z4 production numbers but as far as I heard it doesn't sell better.

As Bob Lutz said: the roadster market is limited ....:thumbs:

And Merry Christmas to all of you from the old continent :)

·
Registered
17,329 Posts
HeY SKIP...Ernest won't come over unless there r grits a cookin'...Aside from the usual roadkill in Jersey, what fancies your appetite? :lol:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
HeY SKIP...Ernest won't come over unless there r grits a cookin'...Aside from the usual roadkill in Jersey, what fancies your appetite? :lol:
Anything but roadkill. I get roadkill about three times a week an it do get old. Duh I guess roadkill is old and tenderized when I gits it too. But back ta tha question I'll be takin Hamboogers an french thighs....Skip...:) :) :)

·
Registered
537 Posts
:hijack: ROADKILL?...:barf: Wait, what was the topic here? Oh yeah, Nico writes well, no... what? Oh I know, I think it is the Multi-verse! In the multi-verse Sky/Sol rules all. God, this waiting is horrible.:willy:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts