Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed mouse poison pellets in my Sky air cleaner. After vacuuming it clean more appear weeks later? Any suggestions on how to prevent mice from making my Sky engine their home?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Poison pellets ? You mean mouse crap ?
I’d say you could install 1/4” square wire mesh over any inlet holes to prevent rodents from taking residence. That wouldn’t restrict air flow but would restrict critter entrance.
I discovered a mouse skeleton completely intact in my DeLorean interior when I first bought it and cleaned it out. I still have the skillet and I show it to my biology students at school. Weird thing is the ears are still intact.
When I had my 85 Fiero having mice take up residence and pack up the blower motor box/heater box was very common and with the fan resistors in there and making a lot of heat it could cause a fire if there is all leaves and branches pulled in there

·
Registered
556 Posts
I remember when my Dad had his '07 NA. Sometime in 2008 while he and my Mom were on vacation for a week, a rat had chewed its way into their brand new Lincoln MKX (it was less than 2 weeks old at the time) through some insulation on the firewall while it was in the garage. The rat proceeded to chew on almost every piece of leather on the interior. It was around $6k for insurance to replace all of the damaged parts. He was furious and my Mom was totally disgusted, luckily there was no damage to his Sky parked next to it in the garage. He proceeded to drop about a dozen rat poison nuggets around the garage to dispose of the rat. Needless to say about a week later I was over at his house and he said he couldn't get the Sky to run. I opened the hood and saw the back half of the dead rat hanging out of the intake of the air box. I remember vividly him looking up at me and saying " don't tell your mother". It was hilarious, but we discovered that the rat had made quite an impressive nest in the air box.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Ask your wife or girlfriend for a worn-out pair of panty hose, cut the two footies out, put some mothballs in them, and hang them near the air intake opening.

·
Registered
667 Posts
This needs to be handled quickly! If one happens to be sleeping and not hear you start the car, this could end badly for the mouse and you. If you don't like the moth balls, sprinkle whole peppercorns around your garage. Mice love peppercorns, but the feeling isn't mutual. It's a natural poison as it destroys their insides. I used to have a show car Mustang and it was parked in my ex-wife's grandmother's barn... There was lots of corn and lots of critters. The second year I stored it there in the spring, I started it and about 15 mice came running out of the exhaust. So the next year, I duct taped my exhaust and took a pound of peppercorn and spread it around. Had no issues after that.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The little critters don’t like dryer sheets either. The cheaper and more fragrant the better.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
The little critters don’t like dryer sheets either. The cheaper and more fragrant the better.
I don't know about dryer sheets, but moth balls last for many years when double bag zip-locked for next time. And they won't make nice bedding material when the fragrance is lost.

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
I'd never had this issue before this spring. Had the intake off for the water pump and found the area under the air filter full of food and other leavings. I ended up taking the air intake box off and had to shake a bunch of crap out of it as well.

This is the best argument I've seen yet for a cold air intake system.

Side note: Anyone understand the engineering behind the multi-chamber stock air intake box?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Side note: Anyone understand the engineering behind the multi-chamber stock air intake box? Noise abatement.

·
Administrator
6,874 Posts
Side note: Anyone understand the engineering behind the multi-chamber stock air intake box?
On the NA engine it is for noise abatement, specifically the elimination of certain frequencies emanating from the intake.
On the turbo engine it is to avoid re-designing the entire airbox.

Look up Helmholtz Resonator

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
On the NA engine it is for noise abatement, specifically the elimination of certain frequencies emanating from the intake.
On the turbo engine it is to avoid re-designing the entire airbox.

Look up Helmholtz Resonator
The NA and Turbo airboxes are different.

·
Administrator
6,874 Posts
The NA and Turbo airboxes are different.
The tops are different. I thought the bottoms were the same, but will compare mine to see if I have been overlooking something.

Reactions: SkyVue2

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've noticed mouse poison pellets in my Sky air cleaner. After vacuuming it clean more appear weeks later? Any suggestions on how to prevent mice from making my Sky engine their home?
Here’s a great tip we got from a dealer several years ago when they found the rattling in my wife’s car to be from rats storing food in the engine compartment. Dryer sheets!
Just tie a bunch of Bounce or similar all around the engine compartment where you see activity and voila, no more rodent activity. They hate it.
Good luck!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Rat poison or cats.

My BMW X5 sat outside for a while unused. One day I went for a drive and opened the hood to remove the battery tender and there was a raccoon sleeping on the engine cover. He just sleepy-eyed looked at me while I went about unhooking the tender. Finally I looked at him aid said "you've gotta go" and he slowly got up and walked off the side of the fender. Oh the casual nerve! ha ha... He looked cuddly and friendly but I knew picking him up would have been a bloody mess. I considered bars of rat poison but he seems like a friendly fellow so I ordered an optional underbody panel that will keep him out. Oh, I also ordered the $200 hood insulator he clawed to shreds making himself a nest. He's lucky I'm a nice guy or he'd get the business end of a suppressed .22LR with 60 gr subsonics and NOD. :D

Imagine if I hadn't opened the hood before driving off. ha ha ha

·
Administrator
6,874 Posts
Rat poison or cats.

I generally prefer repellants to poisons to protect cars. Dead animals are not a lot better than live ones when they are somewhere you don't want them to be. And cats on cars can be a nuisance too.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I generally prefer repellants to poisons to protect cars. Dead animals are not a lot better than live ones when they are somewhere you don't want them to be. And cats on cars can be a nuisance too.
Our boxer puppy Indy brought an Opossum in the house via the pet door. Woke up to the dog sleeping in his bed with the Opossum playing possum.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Rat poison or cats.

My BMW X5 sat outside for a while unused. One day I went for a drive and opened the hood to remove the battery tender and there was a raccoon sleeping on the engine cover. He just sleepy-eyed looked at me while I went about unhooking the tender. Finally I looked at him aid said "you've gotta go" and he slowly got up and walked off the side of the fender. Oh the casual nerve! ha ha... He looked cuddly and friendly but I knew picking him up would have been a bloody mess. I considered bars of rat poison but he seems like a friendly fellow so I ordered an optional underbody panel that will keep him out. Oh, I also ordered the $200 hood insulator he clawed to shreds making himself a nest. He's lucky I'm a nice guy or he'd get the business end of a suppressed .22LR with 60 gr subsonics and NOD. :D

Imagine if I hadn't opened the hood before driving off. ha ha ha

1 - 18 of 18 Posts