Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We can all agree that luggage space on the Sky/Solstice is basically non-existant. Would it be possible for GM to switch to a mid or rear engine setup to increase storage/luggage space?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Possible, but improbable.. they've worked hard to get the weight distribution where it is.. and placing the engine anywhere but above the front wheels would totally throw that off.

·
Registered
432 Posts
not only that, but they had made a really long front and a short back to this car. it would be hard to put an engine in there, and thats even if you didnt bother to worry about where to put the top. not only that, the platform just isnt build for a rear/mid engine car.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
The Kappa platform was developed from the begining to be a RWD-Front Engine platform. It would take a lot of engineering to redesign the platform again to accomodate a MR layout design. As sky_vue mentioned not only is the platform designed specificaly for RWD layout, the entire body/componenets are designed around a RWD layout. Also the problem with most MR designs as well, you still have to use a portion of the front of the car for components as well.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
can anyone say Fiero or Corvair... been there done that... trying a different direction now...
How about just adding a removable luggage rack that will pop into 4 recessed chrome connectors similar to the ones that hold the top down... a small one between the aero nacells that will hold 2 golf bags or some luggage...
a cheap fix and I bet it will be something someone will come up with very quickly as a dealer installed option...the 63 - 76 Vette convertibles had no storage when the top was stowed, I should know I had a 65 Vette Convertible...

·
Registered
304 Posts
classic66vair said:
can anyone say Fiero or Corvair... been there done that... trying a different direction now...
How about just adding a removable luggage rack that will pop into 4 recessed chrome connectors similar to the ones that hold the top down... a small one between the aero nacells that will hold 2 golf bags or some luggage...
a cheap fix and I bet it will be something someone will come up with very quickly as a dealer installed option...the 63 - 76 Vette convertibles had no storage when the top was stowed, I should know I had a 65 Vette Convertible...
Basically the Corvair is strictly a rear-engined car, like VW and Porsche (other than 914 and Boxter) The Fiero is mid engine. Difference is whether engine is in front of or behind the rear axle centerline. Inexpensive example of mid-engine is Toyota MR2 Spyder. More expensive example is Lotus Elise, but even with mid-engine layout max cargo is 115 liters 50 kg (or 4 cu. ft. and 110 lbs) So you see just moving the engine does not automatically increase carrying capacity.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I like the engine in the front.. how about a hitch.. and get a custom made trailer that looks like the rear end of the sky.. plenty of space.. and when you get where you are going . un hitch go cruising.. :cheers:

·
Registered
304 Posts
sky_vue said:
I like the engine in the front.. how about a hitch.. and get a custom made trailer that looks like the rear end of the sky.. plenty of space.. and when you get where you are going . un hitch go cruising.. :cheers:
Great idea and there are also some slick aluminum skinned lightweight trailers that have a totally retro look gonig----BUT in GM's infinite wisdom the trailering spec of 1000 lbs has been removed from the specs and now the Kappa's have ZERO towing capacity---so wait until warranty is up before adding a bumper hitch to your Sky.

·
Registered
554 Posts
sky_vue said:
Best voice of reason I have heard so far. Don't complain about what the car is not. Take steps on your own to make it what you need it to be. This is a bare bones roadster with no storage capacity, as it was designed to be. Enough of the wine already, or Pontiac will be delivering a big wheel of cheese as the next free promotion item to those individuals. :D

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
achieftain said:
Basically the Corvair is strictly a rear-engined car, like VW and Porsche (other than 914 and Boxter) The Fiero is mid engine. Difference is whether engine is in front of or behind the rear axle centerline. Inexpensive example of mid-engine is Toyota MR2 Spyder. More expensive example is Lotus Elise, but even with mid-engine layout max cargo is 115 liters 50 kg (or 4 cu. ft. and 110 lbs) So you see just moving the engine does not automatically increase carrying capacity.
Wel duh, I know the difference between mid and rear engined cars... since I have had several of both.... The title of this thread is "Mid/Rear Engine Sky? ", the reason I used the Corvair and the Fiero as examples of one of each that General Motors has already built... the Corvair from 1960-1969 and the Fiero 1984-1988...
The idea fo a trailer hitch on a sports car is really not appealing to the design of this car, unless someone that can design one that is hidden when not in use I don't want anything hanging out either from the rear or under the car..Many sports cars in the past used the luggage rack system, and one that is easily removable is really a better option... IF the deck can support the weight when closed... Just give it time, remember the old saying "Where ther's a will, There's a way"

·
Registered
71 Posts
Blah Blah Blah.

There are a bunch of naysayers on the kappa boards, hence the reason I don't come here much anymore. But i will interject that there are LOTS of cars built by enthusiasts that have moved engines from front to back, back to front, or even putting two engines in both back and front. None of these guys have put in $100,000 into their projects. The dual engine awd tiburon is freaking beastly and is a pretty good example of what dedicated enthusiasts can do. You should be able to find it in a google search easy enough.

General rule for modding cars: it's always 10 times harder than the newbs think it is and 10 times easier than the grumpy old farts tell you it is.

But personally, if you're doing it for luggage space, there are lots and lots of different mods that could get you more space with a lot less money and effort than moving your drivetrain to the rear.

And since I'm about 25% of the way through starting my own company to provide such solutions, I'd say stick around and keep a good ear on the ground. One of the first things I will address when I get my Sky will be a marketable solution to removing the gas tank from the trunk.

Those dam injenction molding machines are pretty expensive.... but hey, you only live once! :D

·
Registered
432 Posts
SkyCaptain said:
One of the first things I will address when I get my Sky will be a marketable solution to removing the gas tank from the trunk.
keep me up to date on that one. im not going so much for the "more space in the trunk" as i am just wanting a cleaner look.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hybrid option

Instead of a mid-engine design, what about a hybrid? With gas prices going thru the roof, :eek: , would this make the car more appealing? Especailly to those who wish to be less dependant on oil prices and concerned about the environment?

·
Registered
250 Posts
I know the hybrid discussion is somewhere in here.. the forum decided that the additional battery space would negatively effect performance.

·
Registered
37 Posts
sky_vue said:
I know the hybrid discussion is somewhere in here.. the forum decided that the additional battery space would negatively effect performance.
The electric part would give you faster off the line speeds but overall add more weight to the car.

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
You can not expect GM to be able to please everybody all the time. There is always going to be folks that will find flaws and complain as to why things where done the way they where, why didn't they do it this way or the other. We live in a capitalist democracy, if you don't like this car you have plenty of other choices to buy. :willy: Believe me, we can't have it all for $25k. :eek:

Regards...

:willy: S.D. :willy:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts