Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again !!!!!! I know the normal coolant temp in the Sky is between 180 and 210.
My Sky is having some engine issues and my mechanic told me to take extra precautions on cold weather by letting the engine get warm before driving.
But I always forget to start the engine in advance and that makes me be late.
Which, in your opinion, is the minimum temperature in which is safe to start moving the car? I mean...instead of waiting till 180 F.
Thanks !!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
Modern cars are designed to start and drive after a few seconds to stabalize the oil pressure. There is no need to "warm" them up from a mechanical perspective. The ECM manages the temperature and transitions the tune from warm up the cat to make vacume to warm up the car. It limits boost until I think its 160F? Someone will correct me but it manages the engine load based on the warm up cycle.

If ou are having issues with the engine, describe them and lets see if we can help

·
Administrator
8,700 Posts
I let the engine idle until it drops out of the fast idle, then drive gently until I see 170 or so. The transmission and axle also require warming-up, and driving gently accomplishes that.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
140 before moving my car- easy does it for the first 5 miles until I see above 180.
With the heater/defroster on- to clear the windshield-

I let it warm up 3 minutes minimum, let the high idle come down some before engaging
the transmission. In those first 5 miles- tire temps/pressures, PS fluid, brake fluid,
and rear end fluid begin to function normally. Those first couple of shifts on the trans
can be fun- below/around 32 degrees, under 25 mph, under 2 grand on the tach.

After the warmup & 5 miles then you can hit the right pedal.
Even though we all have the same model- not all Kappas are equal.
What mine does- is not what yours will or won't do.

LAC

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Common sense always told me to start the engine and let run for 30 seconds, then drive conservatively until up to operating temperature, most especially if the vehicle is parked outside when it is below freezing, even more careful yet under extremely cold temperatures.

You want the engine and periferals to warm up reasonably evenly to avoid problems.

My son would start his car at zero F, and immediately race off to work because he was always late. His engine eventually developed a crack that killed the car. I preached to him all the time, but listening to Dad's advise was never one of his smarts at that age. That was when he was younger. Thank God today his antenna goes up when I offer words of wisdom today.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Cars with a standard transmission can be damaged by over revving. Over revving can cause damage to valve train components. Collapsed lash adjusters are generally the first components to fail. Another problem can surface when the water pump is replaced without removing the front cover. Timing chain and guides can be damaged because chain tension was temporarily released during the repair procedure.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I let the engine idle until it drops out of the fast idle, then drive gently until I see 170 or so. The transmission and axle also require warming-up, and driving gently accomplishes that.
I agree with that but would add that if you live at the bottom of a mountain and work at the top of it, give the car awhile to warm up a bit more. If you are driving pretty much on the flat and can do so gently as it warms up, that's fine. Just don't run it to higher rpm until it reaches operating temp (170-180 F.)

·
Registered
36 Posts
120, I have the trifecta tune and it heats up fast... but you should be more worried about your tire temps 😂

1 - 15 of 15 Posts