Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, finally something electro-mechanical has cease to function...:huh: 4 years and 3 months into this love affair..
The Left/Right works OK, but the Up/Down is inoperative.. :/

Altho minor in nature, still an irritation when you need to adjust rear viewership piloting our roadsters...

Problem is what is the problem? is it the switch on the door?
OR a problem with the mirror motor itself?:(

And what are the part numbers & will it require dealer participation... AAaahhhh:willy:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Well, finally something electro-mechanical has cease to function...:huh: 4 years and 3 months into this love affair..
The Left/Right works OK, but the Up/Down is inoperative.. :/

Altho minor in nature, still an irritation when you need to adjust rear viewership piloting our roadsters...

Problem is what is the problem? is it the switch on the door?
OR a problem with the mirror motor itself?:(

And what are the part numbers & will it require dealer participation... AAaahhhh:willy:
I guess that I am so old and used to not having these new fangled things on my cars, that when they do stop working, I just figure how to manually correct them rather than run to the dealer to fix them, unless it is under warrentee. :lol:

I know that it is an inconvenience if you are use to these things and depend on them to work correctly. In your case, I think it is the switch or circut problem. Oh, Oh, I think I just gave MM an opening here.:D:jester::lol:

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
If the problem is on both sides, it is the switch. If driver's side only, it's the mirror.

Isn't this a 'parts bin' part (mirror)? If it is you may find a cheap replacement at the junkyard.

Good luck! :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
If the problem is on both sides, it is the switch. If driver's side only, it's the mirror.

Isn't this a 'parts bin' part (mirror)? If it is you may find a cheap replacement at the junkyard.

Yes it's a "parts bin" mirror. Here's where it comes from:

The Fiat Barchetta.

Good luck finding that one at a junkyard . . . :dunno:

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess that I am so old and used to not having these new fangled things on my cars, that when they do stop working, I just figure how to manually correct them rather than run to the dealer to fix them, unless it is under warrentee. :lol:

I know that it is an inconvenience if you are use to these things and depend on them to work correctly. In your case, I think it is the switch or circut problem. Oh, Oh, I think I just gave MM an opening here.:D:jester::lol:

Dang, I knew that, and you picked it up and broadcast it..:willy:

That means I gotta do a "to manually correct them rather than run to the dealer to fix them"....:D:cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,206 Posts
Ics,
lllfly

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
...that's pretty funny because just the other night your wife was telling me your mirror wasn't the only "up/down" thing you were having problems with...:lol::nono:

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
My fix

I had a similar problem with my passenger side mirror, would go up & down but not in or out. The problem was someone had bumped my mirror and the whole thing was not on straight, you know are mirrors will swivel. Make sure that the mirror is in place the whole unit. Have someone sit inside and hit the adjustment button while you adjust the whole top part of the mirror.

TulsaSky
:jester:

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
...that's pretty funny because just the other night your wife was telling me your mirror wasn't the only "up/down" thing you were having problems with...:lol::nono:
Actually the in/out was working just fine, so you musta been talking to an impostor...:skep:

·
Premium Member
1,594 Posts
The mirror mounted on the windshield in mine is a little loose. Whenever I drive over a large bump like a railroad track, the mirror tilts down. I've looked for a setscrew or something, but can't find one. Anyone got any ideas? :confused:

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, what ever grelim waz runnin about in my mirror split... Now ALL modalities are werkin agin...:skep:

(Actually, I believe me messin 'raound with the bottom switch fixed the critter...)

Sometimes going back a day or so laters miracles happens...:dunno:

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The mirror mounted on the windshield in mine is a little loose. Whenever I drive over a large bump like a railroad track, the mirror tilts down. I've looked for a setscrew or something, but can't find one. Anyone got any ideas? :confused:
If it is loose in the ball & socket area, I have not yet been able to find a fix..:sorry:

What some people(s) have done that I can see is use CA (superglue), (of course I don't recommend that) but that to me is not a fix, especially with more than one driver using the car...
another guy on the vette forum used loctite, (red)... claims 100% success..

Best I can find so far, is mirror replacement...:confused::willy:

It would be interesting to find out how much one would cost, and the part numbers..
cause if the day comes I need to replace mind, I would look for one with the "dimmer" option...:cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,594 Posts
If it is loose in the ball & socket area, I have not yet been able to find a fix..:sorry:

What some people(s) have done that I can see is use CA (superglue), (of course I don't recommend that) but that to me is not a fix, especially with more than one driver using the car...
another guy on the vette forum used loctite, (red)... claims 100% success..

Best I can find so far, is mirror replacement...:confused::willy:

It would be interesting to find out how much one would cost, and the part numbers..
cause if the day comes I need to replace mind, I would look for one with the "dimmer" option...:cheers:
Thanks for the ideas. Don't want to replace the mirror (OnStar/phone, etc), but I might try Loctite. It's not really bad...just a minor annoyance.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Gremlin in Mirror again!

:cheers:
Well there must be a lose wire on the passenger side, the mirror will go up and down but not in and out, you can hear the motor running while adjusting the mirror up and down, but nothing when you attempt to move the mirror in or out. If it was the driver’s side just an inconvenience can do it manual but the passenger side, well that is kind of difficult to reach. Does anyone know how the motor is attached to the back of the mirror? I wonder if it just came lose, or a bracket broke off? After the orange grommet failure in the trunk on the cable that unlocks the buttress that was an easy fix once I got the trunk open, (special tool required) makes me wonder if this is just as simple but complex to get too and fix :banghead:
Anyone else having issues with the side adjustable mirrors not working?
Any one know how to (take it apart) and attempt to fix it?

TulsaSky

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had this problem. Dealership had to replace the mirror to fix it. They originally just popped it back into place but when you shut the door it would pop back out. :banghead:

·
Premium Member
4,190 Posts
An interesting engineering challenge. People are used to manually adjusting mirrors to most (all?) electrically adjustable mirrors use a linkage design that will not fail if some meathead adjusts it manually. (like I have done from time to time). One of the properties of this design is that some design implementations allow you to "adjust" the mirror out of range, then the electrical adjustment makes noise but does not actually do any adjusting. I have found that if I manually move the mirror around I can get the linkage to mate up again and all is well.

Remember, one persons in and out is another’s up and down. It just depends. . .

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
It sort of works...

"One of the properties of this design is that some design implementations allow you to "adjust" the mirror out of range, then the electrical adjustment makes noise but does not actually do any adjusting. I have found that if I manually move the mirror around I can get the linkage to mate up again and all is well."

Rob you onto the problem, if I move the arrow button around some it works, but not every time, my linkage is off somehow.
Thanks for the link on the Sol side looks like I really need to look into the cause, but then I don't adjust that mirror every time I drive the car. Nice weather right now, better just drive the Sky!

Tulsasky

1 - 20 of 21 Posts