Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Someone on this forum came up with this idea the other day and I have followed through on what seems to be a great idea as there has been some discussion about possible damage to the defroster elements on the rear window if the windscreens are left in place with the top up.

See attached photos....

I found the little 3/8" clear vinyl bumpers at my local Home Depot.

Mounted one on each side of the windscreen at the edge, just outside of the canvas top framing of the window.

Initially tried one dead center at the top of the screen, but found it distracting... mounted farther out, they are less noticable and although the windscreen is in firm contact with the glass at top dead center, the bumpers keep it well off of the defroster elements.

·
Registered
540 Posts
:thumbs: now that is engineering! I am impressed:thumbs: We appreciate you sharing your inexpensive solution.

·
Registered
246 Posts
ineedmorebotox said:
:thumbs: now that is engineering! I am impressed:thumbs: We appreciate you sharing your inexpensive solution.

Email Jay with the idea - he might include them with his screen. I'm off to home Depot!

Great idea!

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
marlboromike said:
one problem...what section in home depot is it in?
I found them next to the "gliders" you put on the bottom of chair legs to keep from scratching the floor.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had initially put the "bumpers" on the windscreen, but it occurs to me that if you put them on the rear window glass instead of the windscreen, that you won't see them at all when the top is down. They are barely noticeable when the top is up.

·
Registered
255 Posts
ggccg said:
Someone on this forum came up with this idea the other day and I have followed through on what seems to be a great idea as there has been some discussion about possible damage to the defroster elements on the rear window if the windscreens are left in place with the top up.

See attached photos....

Mounted one on each side of the windscreen at the edge, just outside of the canvas top framing of the window.

Initially tried one dead center at the top of the screen, but found it distracting... mounted farther out, they are less noticable and although the windscreen is in firm contact with the glass at top dead center, the bumpers keep it well off of the defroster elements.
ggccg - I think I started that conversation about trying to keep the shield away from the rear window so you wouldn't have to continually take it off everytime you put the top up. Obviously, I didn't have a solution but your's really looks like it will work.

Congratulations on a design job well done.......and very simple to apply. Thanks.:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Awesome idea, i'll have to try this with my KS.

Moving to technical so it doens't get buried under the 100's of genenral threads.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
That is a really great find. I believe that I will be trying that one myself. :thumbs:

·
Registered
92 Posts
AWESOME!!!

Definately falls under the catagory of "why didn't I think of that!" :D

Thanks!!!!

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
I like that idea, and putting them on the rear window, then you can miss the defog coils! I will have to go by Home Depot.:thumbs:

·
Registered
19 Posts
ggccg said:

See attached photos....

The other guy on Ebay that sales the illuminated and etched wind screen wind blockers sent me some of these with his wind screen and they work perfectly. They are alot smaller than these though... I dont even notice them I think it is a great idea. has any one else got one of these illuminated windscreens? I really love mine!

·
Registered
18,037 Posts
the way u install these bumpers....not on the windshield...go to the defroster window and install one on each end of the defroster...on the black area where it is invisible....and one in the center where the wind screen will hit the defroster...now u have nothing showing on your windscreen...when u put up the rag top...the bumpers hit the windscreen...the black area of your defroster is invisible and one bumper in the center of your windscreen....not a distraction...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have been shipping clear plastic diisks with my windscreens for the past 2 week. Anyone who has one of my windscreens and wants them, please send me a self addressed envelope to
Jay Senoff
401 17th street nw
unit 2406
Atlanta, ga 30363

I do not mount them on the windscreen, only on the window. I have pictures of exactly where to mount them but do not know how to post them on this fourm. I can e mail them upon request
Jay Senoff

1 - 17 of 17 Posts