Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using the DDM center console replacement for a few years (the one with the raised cup holders) but I find the cupholders to be pointless and a waste of space. They're too narrow to hold much of anything except maybe a soda can, and too shallow to hold any thing of substance like a tumbler.

What I REALLY want in that space is a phone pocket... Imagine if you carved the two cup holder space into one long opening.

I'm not afraid of the fiberglass or vinyl work required to make that vision happen... But I'm having a hard time finding a plastic insert that is close to those dimensions to use in the pocket.

Has anyone done anything like this and can recommend a part, or is anyone skilled enough with a 3D printer to commission one (happy to pay for time and materials)?

·
Administrator
8,397 Posts
I've been using the DDM center console replacement for a few years (the one with the raised cup holders) but I find the cupholders to be pointless and a waste of space. They're too narrow to hold much of anything except maybe a soda can, and too shallow to hold any thing of substance like a tumbler.

What I REALLY want in that space is a phone pocket... Imagine if you carved the two cup holder space into one long opening.

I'm not afraid of the fiberglass or vinyl work required to make that vision happen... But I'm having a hard time finding a plastic insert that is close to those dimensions to use in the pocket.

Has anyone done anything like this and can recommend a part, or is anyone skilled enough with a 3D printer to commission one (happy to pay for time and materials)?
Here is a thread on the Solstice forum about that very thing: Customizing my DDMWorks cupholder console - need GM...

·
Administrator
8,397 Posts
Seems like that SOLSTICE thread is mostly about finding the right color to paint this?
That was the original purpose of the thread, but it is pertinent because it also explained what he used for the cupholder insert and shows the finished part, so it certainly provides a direction for an answer to this thread.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you tried contacting DDM? They might have experimented with that very concept and could have suggestions maybe even some parts.
I'll jump on that today - who knows, maybe they have ideas they're willing to share.

WeatherTech has several versions of a phone holder that fits in a cup holder. Perhaps one of them might work for you.
Thanks, but those look gross IMHO.

Here is a thread on the Solstice forum about that very thing: Customizing my DDMWorks cupholder console - need GM...
Bingo - much appreciated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts