Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Without knowing the limits of the stock fuel system and the max efficient boost the turbo can produce its hard to say.

The BPU recipe usually goes like this: cold air intake, intercooler, high flow cat + exhaust, boost controller.

You might be able to get that extra 40 horsepower right there.

I'm sure Sport Compact Car will be doing a GXP/Redline build up. Wait for those guys first to find the limits.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
so what mods do you think will be neded to do to reach 300 hp on the red line?

i am thinking of getting a catback cai that is a real one not the wai that say cai and proabley a better intercooler and maybe a re program

Right now it appears that there are NO GXP's or Redlines in the hands of the after market. The combination of technologies that GM has assembled is going to require a lot of reverse engineering to achieve a software solution. This setup is nothing like the rest of the Ecotech family. If you want 300+ hp you may want to think about a 2.4 Sky as there is a very large knowledge base and aftermarket hard and soft ware already available.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I would start with a better air filter MAYBE, whats the hurry where are you going anyways the speed limits 65.

I spend decades modifying stock motors sometimes they where better off left alone. Cost of performance gains to time spend plus sometimes we would lose driveability.

low end D/A

·
Registered
482 Posts
I would start with a better air filter MAYBE, whats the hurry where are you going anyways the speed limits 65.

I spend decades modifying stock motors sometimes they where better off left alone. Cost of performance gains to time spend plus sometimes we would lose driveability.

low end D/A
I Agree. Though if you "need" big HP stop messing around with CAI, flash, and catback. Drop a Mallette V8 in it and if you need more power than that buy a fighter jet.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I Agree. Though if you "need" big HP stop messing around with CAI, flash, and catback. Drop a Mallette V8 in it and if you need more power than that buy a fighter jet.

Just out of sheer curiosity, what would this cost?:confused:

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Just out of sheer curiosity, what would this cost?:confused:
To paraphrase a credit card commercial -

"Malletts? $$25-60K plus donor car (and they KEEP the take off stuff!). Jet fighter? Priceless."

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
To paraphrase a credit card commercial -

"Malletts? $$25-60K plus donor car (and they KEEP the take off stuff!). Jet fighter? Priceless."
I agree, Mallet is the way to go!!! I thinking about giving Serenity a Mallet do over next Spring:thumbs:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sure, spend 1200 bucks on bolt ons or 20 grand for a V8...hmmmm thats a tough one.

·
Registered
991 Posts
The Redline engine technolgy and parts are sisters to the deisel engines that I have worked with in making our specialty trucks (17+ years). The desiels produce differing TQ and HP with only a program change. The engines are sold to the end customer based on the HP rating and the customer has no idea that it is only a different software parameter setting.

OK, my point, The 2.0L engines HP and TQ curves are dependent on the availible fuel and turbo pressures. More air pressure and more fuel equal more power( there are limits).

Because the turbo pressure(mechanical limited) points and fuel pressure/duty cycle/ delivery times are controlled by the engine ecu, we will be able to get more out of this engine, but lower fuel economy. I'm basing this on my engineering knowledge, engine specs and the fact that GM is not pushing the limits of the engine components (warranty).

We know the engine will take the added stress, because there is a article from GM boosting about the engine (internal mechanical parts) will take over 500 HP. We also know the mechanical fuel pump can produce up to 2250 psi. The turbo is limited at about 20 - 22 psi. We will also run into problems with octane and heat, because more power equals more heat to disapate. just my two cents.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The Redline engine technolgy and parts are sisters to the deisel engines that I have worked with in making our specialty trucks (17+ years). The desiels produce differing TQ and HP with only a program change. The engines are sold to the end customer based on the HP rating and the customer has no idea that it is only a different software parameter setting.

OK, my point, The 2.0L engines HP and TQ curves are dependent on the availible fuel and turbo pressures. More air pressure and more fuel equal more power( there are limits).

Because the turbo pressure(mechanical limited) points and fuel pressure/duty cycle/ delivery times are controlled by the engine ecu, we will be able to get more out of this engine, but lower fuel economy. I'm basing this on my engineering knowledge, engine specs and the fact that GM is not pushing the limits of the engine components (warranty).

We know the engine will take the added stress, because there is a article from GM boosting about the engine (internal mechanical parts) will take over 500 HP. We also know the mechanical fuel pump can produce up to 2250 psi. The turbo is limited at about 20 - 22 psi. We will also run into problems with octane and heat, because more power equals more heat to disapate. just my two cents.

FYI, the technologies may be similar (CIDI, SIDI), but the ability to get more power with diesel vs. gas is very different. A diesel is runs much more lean in all conditions. A gas DI (for peak power) is running about the same A/F ratio as a normal FI gas engine. The multistikes of injection are also very different on gas vs. diesel engines. The bottom line, to get more power out of the SIDI ECOTEC, it will neet to get more air through it... not much gain from messing with the fuel delivery at the same air rates.

·
Registered
166 Posts
One thing that I have yet to see is where exactly is the intercooler mounted? Is it a sidemount? Front mount? Water to air?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Cheapest fighter type jet I know of is an Albetross but it's a trainer. I don't know the price but operational coast is over $200.00 an hour.
Not a problem for me, money is no option, that is why I'm buying a Saturn!:jester:

·
Registered
62 Posts
more hp

Give it time. There WILL be aftermarket parts to get this car over 300 horses easily. Bigger intercoolers, meth injection, reprogramming engine management, headers, cat back etc,etc...The good thing will be still having the economy of a 4 banger. The V8 guys dont need a redline obviously, so that is a moot point. Besides switching to an LS motor will play hell with the rest of the driveline. Ask the Cadillac CTS-V guys who have replaced the dif 3-4 times. I was on my third at 6500 miles.

·
Registered
144 Posts
hey the sky has forged pistons so go for nos if your lazy =) to reach that 300 hp

1 - 20 of 24 Posts