Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone get the sense that there are a lot of problems being reported :willy: hope this is not a trend...lets stop making excuses for the car.it still is running anywhere between $ 25/30000 you never hear honda owners say this looks cheap,this rattles,this has a squeek.lets come out of lalaland about this car...do you know how long it has been since dealers sold cars at m s g r,we need to be a force for correction of these mounting problems.:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Wow, a loaded question. I have had some QC issues with the car, and I realize my car is one of the first 1,000 made. However, this is even more reason that these cars should have been checked over and over before they were delivered to the customer.

This reminds me of my college professor that had a 1988 Ford Taurus, and the QUALITY IS JOB #1 sticker on the side rear window was upside down from the factory....no one checked!! This is a true story.

I still believe it is priced right. It is a really fun car. However, I don't want to continue to have to run back to the dealer for QC issues. :banghead:

I think it is too early to give an honest opinon. We need to get 20K miles on a Sky and make a judgement

·
Registered
192 Posts
glock919 said:
does anyone get the sense that there are a lot of problems being reported :willy: hope this is not a trend...lets stop making excuses for the car.it still is running anywhere between $ 25/30000 you never hear honda owners say this looks cheap,this rattles,this has a squeek.lets come out of lalaland about this car...do you know how long it has been since dealers sold cars at m s g r,we need to be a force for correction of these mounting problems.:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Do you have a Sky? If so what problems are you having?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wainting for the redlinei am #1 on the list at my dealership,hope most problems will be fixed by then.i am going by all the posts on our site, everyday they are growing.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I would say you would have to compare it to other first run vehicles. Miata in it's first year etc.... to get an equal picture. To me, it doesn't seem like a lot of major problems are being reported. (Except for the wait to get one.)

·
Registered
304 Posts
glock919 said:
hope your wright.hate to wait 6 monhts,to own a problem child.keeping the faith.
I hope so too. It will be my only vehicle until November when I get my winter car.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Well you have probably read my review... if those kind of problems are sending you running to the Honda dealership than so be it. Perfection is very hard to achieve for any car, let alone one that rolls of the first year's production line.

I think that the tolerance of potential buyers should be a bit higher otherwise they are just kididng themselves. I have seen many friends mope and whine about little things in a new (or used) car that in the grand scheme of things are really insignificant. Granted we all get massive purchase dissonence with such a large investment, but having OCD over the car will only spoil your fun.

I have yet to see any glarring issues mechanically or otherwise (unlike some of those fixed in the first run of the Sol's). We have concerns over the perfections of this car only because we didn't know what to expect and our mind's eye created a flawless baby that would have the perfect cup holder locations. You find me any car and I can find something to point out that is "wrong" about it.

If these cosmetic and trivial problems really do scare you away from the car... wait until you are convinced its the car you want before jumping off like so many of us happily did (and are still happy about).

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
I think for the money it's a good value. You have to expect some problems with a brand new product.

·
Registered
304 Posts
It would bother me more to drive a vehicle I don't care for with no problems, than a vehicle I love with some deficiencies.

Every great review in the world couldn't get me to buy the Miata as to quote another forum member "it has the looks of a bar of soap".

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
The problems so far don't even come to 1/2 % of the problems that the SOLSTICE had, rear end, water leaks, I could go on and on, yet they are all happy with there Sol's, and you are only getting this info second hand, do you think the redline will be any diffrent..This is a first year first run auto, think how would feel if it had as the problems WINDOWs has....Seal9:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Nearly all first year run vehicles have problems of some sort, whether it be rattles or more serious mechanical problems.

I'll use BMW as an example. The first few years the E46 M3 was out, their engines were known as "the grenades" because of their ability to catch fire from outta nowhere. However, BMW fixed it and the M3 is now one of the best cars on the road.

It happens with all first year new vehicles, Saturn will work these little quirks out.

·
Registered
804 Posts
seal9 said:
..This is a first year first run auto, think how would feel if it had as the problems WINDOWs has....Seal9:lol: :lol:
Tell me about it!:banghead:

Changed to a I-Mac- I run both Mac and XP on it now. Mac runs so much better...I hope the Solstice was the Windows version of the Kappa, and the Sky is the mac.

·
Registered
41 Posts
When I was living In Europe, I worked for GM for almost 14 years, and they ALWAYS had some quality issues the first production year(s) of a new model ...
When they launch a new model, I suggest to wait for at least one year before you buy (2 years is even better) :thumbs:

I like the Sky, and for the moment I'm kind of lurking on this NICE forum to find out when it is time to get my (hopefully) problem free Sky :D

Patience is a nice gift !! :yesnod:

Cheerio

·
Registered
304 Posts
Doing a quick search, I just looked at a BMW Z4 forum and they have a large thread of problems (motor for top dying, rattles, creaks...etc).

So at this point I'm no where near concerned.

·
Registered
804 Posts
belletire said:
Doing a quick search, I just looked at a BMW Z4 forum and they have a large thread of problems (motor for top dying, rattles, creaks...etc).

So at this point I'm no where near concerned.
Oh tell me it isn't so! All that money and still problems??? Makes paying $25k pretty good looking.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Well I'll admit it, I'm picky!
Would I buy this car again? Absolutely!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I'm going to toss in my comments for the 39 cents they are worth.
I have seen about 5-10 problems - and - repetitions of them as well. This means (and I'll go heavy) there may be as many as 10 problems, but if we hear from them from 6 or 7 people we could be hearing problems with 50-70 people/cars. Sounds like a lot -- but really we speak of the 5-10 not the 70 as once a problem crops up that for WHATEVER reason gets by QC, it can get into a goodly amount of cars -- easily into the dozens of cars.
It happens; things, when reproduced, tend to almost create their own problems as they are born.
A few posters have rightly posted that many domestic and imported cars have problems the very first year. Some fine, hand-made vehicles may not have them but they were/are built slowly and in very limited numbers. A problem arises - and it affects 1-3 cars and might even be caught and resolved before the next one is built. Is SKY having more than its share? I have NO idea.
Even if you build 100 cars and run them for 1 year -- you still could develop entirely different problems when you are building 100's of cars a day.
For me, and the reason I decided to try a first run car; it is not what the problems are, but how they are resolved. With my past experience with Saturn - I felt it would be the ONLY first run car I'd ever try. Two reasons.
In the past they seemed to have less and lesser important flaws. Secondly not only did they resolve them well, they made their flaws into positives -- Any one remember the great Saturn commercial in the early 1990's when they had an issue with their front seats? In the ad, they tell of the defect (yeah they are selling the car!) and how the dealer in Alaska flew a new seat into the back country to make sure the buyer who lived 100's of miles away was taken care of.
Major problem -- yeah -- the seat had this nasty tendency to break while driving. Taken care of -- You bet ya, practically live on TV.
Too many companies make sure you don't hear about their problems or they deny, as they know only a few may have escaped. Saturn owned up.
Their service has been great and their honesty has earned my trust. So far NOTHING has been done to knock me away from that. The problems presented are not universal (every car’s wheels are not rubbing). They are not major (nothing is smoking or killing the engine). I want to hear how are they resolved.
You want a tried and true car (and I can not blame you) then buy VIN 2098374236089504273. If you want to embark on an adventure -- be one of the first 10,000!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Love it Rick -- I agree.

True story of my SC2 -- got new seats, new window mechanisms and new performance switch all free when I took her in for an oil change... they said it should be done because it was the right thing to do. They could have easily waited till I saw a recall or reported a problem... but instead a 26 buck oil change got me 1000+ of fixes.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts