Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First one is the hood mat. I used leftover caliper paint for this. It takes MANY coats because the mat soaks up the paint. Plan on running off to the parts house for some replacement clips because you'll probably break a few. How do I know THAT?:mad:

The next two shots are the new Fiamm electric horns. First is the spot on the right side where the second horn goes, the next is the stock position on the left side. For a $30K car the stock horn SUCKS.

Next is a "before" picture showing the chrome grill bar. The next is the "after" with it painted silver. (It may look better in the sunshine.) Sort of easy to do. Four nuts (10mm head) hold on the plastic bar. Once removed you'll need to cut the little melted plastic tabs that hold the red square in the Saturn logo field. You'll re-attach it with a hot glue gun. Wash the bar with soap and water, dry it until there are no marks on it. Lightly spray with Duplicolor primer, dry, and apply a couple more heavier coats. Next will be a few mist coats of the body color and then a few heavier coats. Let it dry for a few hours and clear coat it with a few mist coats again and then a couple of heavier coats. Dry it and put back on the car. If you like chrome, don't do it!:)

I just thought I would share the cheap mods.

Attachments

·
Registered
420 Posts
cool mods but unless 'Lou Fusz' is paying you well to advertise for him, then my next mod would be to remove that front plate. :lol:

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cool mods but unless 'Lou Fusz' is paying you well to advertise for him, then my next mod would be to remove that front plate. :lol:
Front tag bracket - it was already on the car and cheaper than the ticket. Missouri cops don't "play", and that is fine with me!!

Sorry about the "ads" for the dealership. Future pictures will be devoid of such tripe. Sorry.

·
Premium Member
1,980 Posts
Ahh... front plates.. Yes I to hate these HOWEVER, I do have a very attractive solution that will add an amazing look to your SKY! I know I know.. where's the photos? They will be posted tomorrow night!

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Ahh... front plates.. Yes I to hate these HOWEVER, I do have a very attractive solution that will add an amazing look to your SKY! I know I know.. where's the photos? They will be posted tomorrow night!
I'll believe it when I see it....

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
First one is the hood mat. I used leftover caliper paint for this. It takes MANY coats because the mat soaks up the paint. Plan on running off to the parts house for some replacement clips because you'll probably break a few. How do I know THAT?:mad:
snaponbob I really like the painted SKY under the hood. What did you use to mask it off? Were there problems with the paint running as it was soaked up by the mat?

Thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
snaponbob I really like the painted SKY under the hood. What did you use to mask it off? Were there problems with the paint running as it was soaked up by the mat?

Thanks for the pics.
I removed the mat from the hood, laid it down on the garage floor and used MANY coats of left over caliper paint. It was done freehand. The first three applications soaked into the mat, so I let it "rest" overnight and applied three more heavy coats and let it set. After that I put the mat back under the hood. If you pull the mat you WILL break some clips. No problem, and the chain parts stores have them fairly cheap. HTH.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts

Thanks for the pics.
Yep, I did the same - twice now. Testors model paint took a zillion coats. The caliper paint only took about half a dozen or so. I found the "thick" caliper paint that collected around the rim of the can while doing the calipers did a good job of sealing as it was too thick to soak in.

The lines are there in the hood liner, just use a fine brush and a steady hand and you can do it without masking. Little mistakes get soaked up and you never see them anyway.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Front plate

Should be interesting, PM me if you post in a new thread.

R1chy

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Watch it just end up being a picture of a dead cop in the trunk.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
Watch it just end up being a picture of a dead cop in the trunk.
The whole cop? That would be amazing!

I still plan to wait and see how often I get ticketed before I do anything about mounting the front plate, no matter how attractive. So far it's none in almost 6 months, knock wood.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts

I still plan to wait and see how often I get ticketed before I do anything about mounting the front plate, no matter how attractive. So far it's none in almost 6 months, knock wood.
Now that you said that, I give you 2 weeks.:lol:

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
I removed the mat from the hood, laid it down on the garage floor and used MANY coats of left over caliper paint. It was done freehand. The first three applications soaked into the mat, so I let it "rest" overnight and applied three more heavy coats and let it set. After that I put the mat back under the hood. If you pull the mat you WILL break some clips. No problem, and the chain parts stores have them fairly cheap. HTH.

Yep, I did the same - twice now. Testors model paint took a zillion coats. The caliper paint only took about half a dozen or so. I found the "thick" caliper paint that collected around the rim of the can while doing the calipers did a good job of sealing as it was too thick to soak in.

Thanks snaponbob and jidgaint for the tips. I think I'll give it a try in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Hey --- good idea.
"What do mean, no front tag, officer?" :eek:
"You don't have a front tag." :mad:
"Sure I do, Looooooooook. Oops.:dunno: Gee, it must have fallen off." :sorry:

Think THAT would work? I know. I'll put it in the trunk (WHAT trunk) and tell him it DID fall off. Yeah - THAT'S the ticket. (So to speak.) :glol:

·
Registered
232 Posts
A trick to assist with painting the Mat, take a can of semi flat black spray and coat it where you plan on painting and blend it out. May take a couple coats but did work for me. Gives you a better surface to deal with.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
A trick to assist with painting the Mat, take a can of semi flat black spray and coat it where you plan on painting and blend it out. May take a couple coats but did work for me. Gives you a better surface to deal with.
SilverRedLineSky thats for the tip. I'll keep that in mind when I do mine. BTW lik your avatar.:patriot: Served 63 to 83.

·
Registered
232 Posts
SilverRedLineSky thats for the tip. I'll keep that in mind when I do mine. BTW lik your avatar.:patriot: Served 63 to 83.
Army 67 to 88 Army Civilian 88 to present, retiring again in 08, 41 years should be enough for our wonderful Country.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts