1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
The Austin-Healy 3000 Mk2 and Jaguar XKE are my two favorite
cars of all time. The car they are selling (Tempest) is a retro
Austin-Healy that I would have no desire to own, at least not at $45K,
their projected price. It gets me that some have tried to revive classic
cars (like Ford's Thunderbird) and then avoid making them look like the originals, the very reason they have become classics.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have often said that all two-seat roadsters resemble each other. After all, how could they not. There are finite ways to configure these cars. I thought that with the Solstice and the Sky GM had broken out of that mold or mindset that had doomed all roadsters to basically look alike. I see that that is not the case. After seeing (pics only) the Alfa Spyder Concept and now this fantasy of a revamped Austin-Healey 3000, I must conclude that GM has simply reconfigured the mold, redefined the mindset. Everybody is now designing cars that look like theirs, even the VW Concept R., but especially this one. They say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Well, GM consider yourself flattered.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
What's really hilarious is this is a photochopped image of a Solstice altered to look like what he wants his car to be.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
brentil said:
What's really hilarious is this is a photochopped image of a Solstice altered to look like what he wants his car to be.
That is pretty durned funny! Here's the source pic they used.

Solstice Pic

·
Registered
411 Posts
[QUOTE=brentil]What's really hilarious is this is a photochopped image of a Solstice altered to look like what he wants his car to be.[/QUOTE]

I was like "hey, that looks like tha Sky and Solstice rip off" :rolleyes:
then, since I used to stare at pics of the Sol & Sky and know every part I realized it was a Photochop. Im an Art Director at a Computer Graphics Design Company and noticed The blurry areas that give that away. Plus I took a screen shot of both cars to compare. Has elements of Sky and Solstice. Notice the front Grill is badly chopped and doesn't connect. Terrible work. [IMG]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b99/evanfl/ComparedRippoff.jpg

·
Registered
411 Posts
Here's my animated morph also known as "Animorph" :cool: I apparently have too much time on my hands,.. I just thought it was funny they thought they could take a design & get away with it. I know thats not an official concept release photo, just some dude with minimal Photoshop experience. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: "I Pitty Tha Fool" :banghead:

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
whats incredible to me

:lol: is that you guys caught that. I thought it looked familiar. but now that I look at the pics side by side its totally a photoshop. thats awesome :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
The dead giveaway to me when I looked at it was the seats you can see through the windshield. They're the exact same two-tone leather seats. I was pretty sure I was looking at a photochop at first, it only took about 5 seconds to confirm it.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
at least it gives us an idea of what bigger rims will look like on the sol :lol:

·
Registered
110 Posts
If the pricing of the new Healy included 20% VAT so that the US
price falls around $35K, then I'll predict here and now that, assuming
the mechanicals are not horrible (which I assume they will not be),
this Tempest will do very well. I've heard of Mazda dealers looking for over $27K for some editions. I can't imagine anyone choosing the Miata over the Tempest, even at a $8-10K differential. I don't even believe a Mazda employee would. One thing that's not been entioned is the effect the
Solstice and Sky (and perhaps Tempest) will have on used Miata prices.
They will be much softer, especially in a few years when Solstice and Sky used cars are available.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I noticed the identical mirrors and the door handle right away as the "giveaway." Also wondered right away about the bad pixelation, and had the odd thought that the RH fuel filler door is conspicuously missing (nearly every european or Euro-root car has the filler on the RH side).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts