Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Eyeryone. Like most of you all, I have been really interested in the performance aspect of this incredible car. Now I know we are probably still a good year or so away from seeing a Sky RL, but there has been a lot of speculation about how the RL will get it's extra horses. From jamming a 6cyl. to turbo(s) to supercharger. Long story short... I was exploring the net, seeing what I could find on anything on the ecotec being used on the Kappas and cobalt and found this. 270 hp from a 2.0 supercharged ecotec!!! http://www.supercars.net/cars/[email protected][email protected]$Cobalt%20272%20SS%20Conceptx.html This is not like the aftermarket kit Gravana is developing for SEMA in Nov. This was actually made by GM's own Performance Division. If they can create a beast like this, why not put it to use. Right now the Cobalt SS has only got 205hp. From the reviews that I have read of this car, it's alright but still not enough to compete with the likes of an SRT-4. If GM can squeeze an extra 65 hp from what appears to be the engine that they are going to use in the RL, use it! This is the kind of decision that GM needs to be making to save itself. What do you folks think?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I currently own a 2003 Hyundai Tiburon V6. I have gone the aftermarket route and installed a SRI, Intake Manifold, Headers, Flywheel, etc... My goal was to get the engine to produce 200+ HP at the flywheel.

I personally love the look of the Sky. But I will wait and see what GM's plans are in the area of a turbo / supercharger (Turbo preferably).

I simply don't want to drive a car with less that 200 HP at the crank.

·
Registered
432 Posts
well, right now, all we can do is dream and hope. by now GM will have been far enough along with the development that we wont really have much say. so even if we all say V6, GM wont do it if they are already working on the I4. bummer, but oh well. i still say that 170/177hp (depending on your kappa) is plenty for 75% of us, and for the rest, we will have the redline. anything beyond that, we will have to do ourselves. but you know what? even if this car had 600hp, there would still be people here not satisfied and wanting more. i say, dont sweat it!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm waiting for the Red Line in the hopes that they'll be putting some kind of FI on it. I've heard all sorts of rumors, and I think the most viable would be to either put in the engine from the Vauxhall Lightning concept (which I believe produced 270 hp) or the supercharged Ecotec from the Red Line ION/Cobalt SS (which supposedly produces 205 bhp, but there are several RLI owners that have dyno slips with over 210 whp stock).

·
Registered
304 Posts
With the announcement by GM that they plan to factory support racing the Solstice against the likes of Mazda and BMW there would be no reason that Saturn couldn't get similar factory support. Sky and Sol thrashing it out for 1-2, similar to Corvette and Cadillac currently. Brings back memories of Camaro and Firebird jockeying for positions trailing the winning AMC Javelin of Mark Donahue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I doubt you will see that since Pontiac stole a win from Chevy in NASCAR GM doesn't like to have two car brands compete in the same League. But on the other hand the Caddie and Vette team have done well togethor.

You wont see a V6, the head design of the platform has said that, but the concept you showed was a Sema car, done with aftermarket parts, not a concpet car that GM showed on its autoshow market. So its not likely to be used by GM in any actual car, its basically just a modified Cobalt engine, you can get the same performance out of the engine by doing the same mods they did.

As for 177 not being enough, you have to remember how much the car weighs, yes its not alot of HP, but the car doesn't weigh in that much either. For example, the lightest, Tiburon you can buy, even with the smaller engine, still weighs 100 LBS more than the Sky does, and the Tib only has 138 HP. The 172HP V6 version weighs in at 3017 LBS, 200 some odd more LBS and 5 less HP.

Just because it doesn't sound like alot of HP doesn't mean its not going to be fast. But the RL will have a 253HP Turboed 2.0L.

·
Registered
23 Posts
General rule of thumb among my tuner friends:

If it doesn't have at least 200HP at the crank, it’s a girl’s car.

An exception would be the Lotus Elise. It has 190 HP, weighs roughly 1900 lbs, and... It’s a Lotus.

·
Registered
19 Posts
lbsst14 said:

An exception would be the Lotus Elise. It has 190 HP, weighs roughly 1900 lbs, and... It’s a Lotus.
As said, the Lotus only has 190, the V6 Tiburon has 172, the Sol and Sky have 177, Scion TC has 160,Mini Cooper S has 168, Honda Civic SI has 160, Opel speedster has 143.

Simply having less than 200HP doesn't mean anything. The Tiburon is far from a girls car, the same with the Opel and the two kappa twins.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
The key is lbs/horsepower. Lotus is in the 'vette territory for lbs/horsepower. Miata and N/A Solstice/Sky are in the 16ish territory. Rumored RL/GXP specs are in between the 'vette and the N/A versions.

Because in the end it is really about the acceleration you can generate in each direction (forward for engine, rearward or deceleration for braking, lateral for handling).

Overall vehicle performance is ALL ABOUT THE ACCELERATION CAPABILITY CIRCLE. And if you are really into racing (as in roadsters) it's all about maintaining the maximum acceleration in the most appropriate direction at all times.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nocturn said:
As said, the Lotus only has 190, the V6 Tiburon has 172, the Sol and Sky have 177, Scion TC has 160,Mini Cooper S has 168, Honda Civic SI has 160, Opel speedster has 143.

Simply having less than 200HP doesn't mean anything. The Tiburon is far from a girls car, the same with the Opel and the two kappa twins.
As I said, I have my Tib at well over 200 HP now. I have it at 178 WHP (at the Wheels) with the mods I have done.

It's stock form (Front Wheel Drive at 170 HP / 140 WHP) is very girlish.

If the redline / GT version comes out at 200 HP+ (hopefully more) I'll be sleeping outside the Saturn dealership like it was Woodstock. If not, I'm going to wait and see what the aftermarket support is before I sign up.

·
Registered
53 Posts
lbsst14 said:

Over at corvetteforum, that number would be 400hp ;)

Seriously though-- Whether I have the patience to wait the extra year before the RL is introduced or not, there is definitely going to be some significant modding done to this little beastie :cool:

·
Registered
432 Posts
mdlestat said:

Seriously though-- Whether I have the patience to wait the extra year before the RL is introduced or not, there is definitely going to be some significant modding done to this little beastie :cool:

before long, there will be some here who will make it past that 400 mark

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
mdlestat said:

Ahhh ok, so according to the corvetteforum lbsst14 is driving a girls car. Gotcha.

·
Registered
53 Posts
brentil said:
Ahhh ok, so according to the corvetteforum lbsst14 is driving a girls car. Gotcha.
:lol:

I jest, really.

But my old baby had 402RWHP-- as in at the wheels ('01 C5, heads/cam.etc...bla bla...)-- so while I can't wait for this new car, and the opportunities it will have in the mod dept, I seriously can't yet bring myself to think of 200 hp at the crank as "fast"-- don't worry though-- I'll come around-- and so will these cars performance

:cheers:

·
Registered
23 Posts
mdlestat said:
:lol:

But my old baby had 402RWHP-- as in at the wheels ('01 C5, heads/cam.etc...bla bla...)-- so while I can't wait for this new car, and the opportunities it will have in the mod dept, I seriously can't yet bring myself to think of 200 hp at the crank as "fast"-- don't worry though-- I'll come around-- and so will these cars performance
Exactly... which is why 177 HP just isn't enough to get me excited.

·
Registered
75 Posts
swatthefly said:
before long, there will be some here who will make it past that 400 mark
They've already come close to it in an S-Series (1.9L DOHC 4-cyl that pushes somewhere over 300 whp - www.qksltwo.com, among others) so I'm sure it'll happen with a Sky as well.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well...my primary enthusiasm for what might be done in the horsey dept. comes from the relatively decent displacement of the engine chosen-- 2.4ltr isn't a lot of cubes, of course, but compared to the sub-2 liter's out there in the 4-banger world, it's a big jump-and I'm happy that we'll have a better jumping-off point than the tiny Honda modders with their 1.x ltr weed-wacker motors..

It's obvious that FI will be "the only way to fly in this Sky" (like that? :p), and displacement makes the gains from FI much more significant.

I think 250-300 RWHP would be my target in a car this size-- but we'll see as the time comes what I will do.

I'm still amped about this car-- it's a speed-demon waiting to happen. I just know it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
hmm, that got me thinking... Would it be better to go for the sky and do all your own mods to make it better? or would it be better to wait for the redline, and see what you can do with it?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts